Fenix TA21 cannot tail stand

bingd

Newly Enlightened
I received my TA21 several days ago and I've been playing with it everyday. It's an amazing torch. But I found my TA21 cannot tail stand, no matter ON or OFF. As I checked posts on CPF and reviews on Youtube, it seems TA21's DO tail stand. Am I getting a defective piece or just because Fenix altered their design recently? Does anyone have the same issue?

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Mine tailstands perfectly on and off. Perhaps you received one with a TK30 tailcap instead? lol im just giving a wild guess cause i find that the TK30 tailcap is similar to the TA21, but it does not tailstand at all. Anyways, you should send an email to Fenix about this. So far, they've replied my questions within 48 hours. Or you could email the dealer you bought it from.

Ronin28

Newly Enlightened
My TA21 does not tail stand either, but my TA20 does. The clicky switch sticks out more on the 21 than the 20. Not sure whether this is something Fenix changed up recently or whether they had a batch of clickies that stuck out more...not sure?

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Mine does not tail stand either, got it a couple of weeks ago when it landed in my Amazon goldbox quick picks for $66 - at that price I could care less, although I also thought it was supposed to.

bingd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your replies.
I also got mine from Amazon goldbox two weeks ago. I'm a little upset it doesn't tail stand. But overall I'm satisfied with the purchase. Will shoot an email to Fenix soon.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised there are more TA21 that does not tailstand.

Do let us know what Fenix reply is :)

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I emailed Fenix, here's their reply:

"Hello Matt

Here is Fenix manufacturer in China.

Thank you very much for using Fenix light.

Regarding TA21, due to the tailcap design, it can't stand up originally, we don't change it, this light use the tactical switch with momentary-on function, the light can't stand as the candle.

But some other models, such as LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30, and so on, it can stand up steadily.

Best regards! "

So now I'm really confused, I guess some of you guys have TA21's that can tailstand?

In reality it does'nt matter to me, looks like it would fall over easily anyway and possibly get dmaged due to heavy head.

bc62010

Newly Enlightened
My TA21 doesnt tailstand as well. I thought too that it would tailstand but thats ok I like the light anyway.

bingd

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Amazon with the tail stand question on Wednesday and got a replacement from them today (really good customer service, Amazon!)
The new one still doesn't tail stand, though. So I guess this is a design issue rather than a quality issue. Considering the price, functionality, and quality, I think TA21 is still a great torch.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Regarding TA21, due to the tailcap design, it can't stand up originally, we don't change it,
:eek:

:shrug:

Mine:
DSC_0301.jpg

This was woodrow's:
3895084459_7f6d1557d9.jpg

EDIT: Btw, thanks Blackbeard for the reply from fenix

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Very odd.....

A flatout denial from fenix that it ever could tailstand(if I'm reading their broken English correctly)

Obvious evidence of it doing just that

Ronin28

Newly Enlightened
Apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (in Fenix's case).

As I said before, the TA20 of mine tail stands, but the TA21 does not. The tail caps are the same except for the clicky switch which sticks out more on the TA21, which is the reason why the bloody thing doesn't tail stand. Oh well!