Fenix TA21 Quick & Dirty Review

chanjyj

Enlightened
TA21 currently undergoing torture tests now :whistle:

Let's see if it can survive like my TK10 (50+ drops from 1.5m onto hard concrete, 20+ drops from 1m onto tile etc). Btw, my TK10 is still ticking. Sadly, the batteries within did not fare as well.

Update
0.7m drop onto metal plates, and bounced off the metal plates onto tile.
- Slight dent on cigar ring, everything else a ok. UI untouched.
Sprayed with industrial jet, at the UI (rotating dial)
- Perfectly ok (I'm surprised, actually)

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
Do you know what size holder works with the TA21? I need a nylon one for my Duty Belt.

I know a Bianchi Size 3 (prob all size 3s) works with the TA30.

zaanea

Newly Enlightened
Hi chanjyj,

I've run a simple test on the Fenix TA21. I chargerd the 18650 battery and put it directly in the TA21 en started measuring the output. Since I haven't got a good lumenmeter I used a temperature meter. These are some of the results I got. They are in dutch but I wil translate some of it.
omgevingstemp: temperature of the surrounding area
temp voor de lens: temperature for the head (lens)
temp head: this is the external temperature of the head

TA21 - start @ 1010h - mode IX - 0h
TA21 - meting @ 1117h - mode IX - 1h7m - omgevingstemp: 21.1 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1120h - mode IX - 1h10m - temp voor de lens: 45.5 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1123h - mode IX - 1h13m - temp head : 31.4 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1131h - mode IX - 1h21m - temp voor de lens: 46.2 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1140h - mode IX - 1h30m - temp voor de lens: 46.8 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1145h - mode IX - 1h45m - temp voor de lens: 46.9 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1210h - mode IX - 2h00m - temp voor de lens: 44.3 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1243h - mode IX - 2h30m - temp voor de lens: 40.0 graden C
TA21 - meting @ 1310h - mode IX - 3h00m - temp voor de lens: 31.5 graden C

Op 1310h gestopt en lichtstanden vergleken: lichtstand IX (225lumen) was op t oog net zo veel als lichtstand V (80lumen)

I quit the measurent @ 1310h en compared the lightemissions.
Output IX (225lumens) now looked as bright as Output V (80lumens)

how do I ad/upload pictures straight from my pc?

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can use them. But the runtime will be much better with single 18650 cell.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the brightness will stay the same. It is flat regulated with 18650 batteries.

fenixta21runtime.gif

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are welcome :D. Btw. the runtimes with AW2600 are much better than what manufacturer claims.

swordfish2

Newly Enlightened
Just received my light.
The feel of this light is really solid. Feels little bigger than any other 1x18650 lights i have. But the built quality is impressive. Looking forward to light this baby tonight.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my light.
The feel of this light is really solid. Feels little bigger than any other 1x18650 lights i have. But the built quality is impressive. Looking forward to light this baby tonight.

I have as well TK10 and TA30, and I consider now TA21. The reason is the available 80 and 120lm modes who I miss with TK10 and TA30(45lm* often is too low and 225lm often provides too short runtime). While I use these lights mostly in 225lm mode I think I will use TA21 much in 80 and 120lm modes.

Regards, Patric

* 60lm modes of TK10 and TA30 are lower than stated, actually around 45lm.

Last edited:

Melson

Newly Enlightened
I have the TA30 and instead of bumping a new thread can someone give me some help here?

I dropped her on the concrete from about four/five feet and I got a couple dings on it.

I realize it's going to get beat up as that's why I bought it, but a four feet drop and it received a couple small dings already? Is this normal?

parabellum

Newly Enlightened
Nope, sorry bout this - I don't use one. I just clip the light straight on.

I keep bumping it off the belt. or it takes a nice chuck out of the steering wheel:shakehead

First post here, just purchased a TA21 and have some questions, but I didn't want to start my own thread either.

The clip might work fine on a web belt on a Class A uniform, but I wear a reinforced Galco gun-belt for my everyday belt, so the clip will never work on that. The belt is just too thick.

I was wondering if anyone found a good pouch for this light.

I have a couple pouches that fit the light already: HSGI (High Speed Gear) and Maxpedition...but I use those pouches for overt use on my plate carrier, because the profiles on the pouches are not exactly svelte.

Has anyone had success with finding a pouch that will not add too much to the dimensions of the light when carried on the waist? A pouch without a top-flap would be ideal. There is already a lot of real estate on my belt that is spoken for.

Thanks much. I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, glad to finally make a post...and yes, the Fenix TA21 is a fantastic light.

Lost

Newly Enlightened
I have the TA30 and instead of bumping a new thread can someone give me some help here?

I dropped her on the concrete from about four/five feet and I got a couple dings on it.

I realize it's going to get beat up as that's why I bought it, but a four feet drop and it received a couple small dings already? Is this normal?

It's normal to get dings when you drop it.

Aluminum is soft. I have some lights and I hate it when you drop it and get your first ding.

You don't have to baby your light now. It's a work light now not a show piece.

agony

Newly Enlightened
Hi Para, good to see ya here! I too am a long-time lurker, and recently received a TA21 from my wife as a present.

I did exactly like the post above mentioned by KouDy. There are two sizes in the Nite-Ize line, and the larger one fits the TA21 securely. The only problem would be with the cigar-grip...the light fits in the holster with the grip, but it is a slow process in re-holstering. But for now it works fine. I used this combo last weekend for an advanced pistol course, and it stayed in place securely.

Sometime in the next month, I'm commissioning one of our fellow SF members to make several kydex light holsters. The big prob is that he needs the actual light to make it. He did some mag pouches for me and they are awesome for the price.