Fenix TK40 part 3

burntoshine

Enlightened
What rechargeable batteries does everyone recommend for this light and what charger will charge 8 AA batteries at once?

i bought 16 rechargable energizers specifically for the tk40 and they work great. energizer makes chargers that charge 8 AAs at a time.

i'm curious about the sanyo eneloops though. can someone tell me the deal with them? longer runtime maybe? they seem to be a favorite AA rechargable battery amongst flashaholics.

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
I'm useing for a pouch for my TK40 is a crown royal pouch nice and soft

plenty of those pouches around the house here...may consider using one as a pouch for the Eagletac M2X i'm getting for myself and for the TK40 i'm getting for my father. sister's boyfriend drinks crown&coke (croke) every time they come over to visit (he supplies the croke, as i don't drink).

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really there is, just turn the head or tail cap about 3 turns to lock it out. The instructions state this. I prefer to lock out the tail cap rather than the head, but either will work. Mine is locked out now to prevent battery drain. I also do this with my TK10 when its in it's in a bag so the button doesn't get pressed on momentary on. I got to briefly go out last night and shine it around for a few minutes, I'm blown away by the throw. Enjoy it! :)

Yeah i read that in the manual but i can still turn mine on after i do that on either end.... i think i fixed it by pushing the spring in a bit so its not out so far.

bhuber

Newly Enlightened
Yeah i read that in the manual but i can still turn mine on after i do that on either end.... i think i fixed it by pushing the spring in a bit so its not out so far.

Manual says 2.5 turns. It's more like 3 or more. Great light, huh?

nin82

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd add in a couple of photos of more size comparisons.

Going left to right: Fenix LD10, 2xAA minimag, Fenix TK40, 2xD Maglite

P1000749.jpg

Same again but looking head on, the TK40 is probably about 2mm bigger in diameter than the 2xD Mag.

P1000754.jpg

Viper715

Enlightened
:dedhorse:
I know this is beating a dead horse but more bemashots/comparisons. Any of you out there special enough to have trial on the new Eagletak M series or a Legion 2 those beamshot comparisons would be worth $1,000,000.00 bucks. Those are the three lights I'm stuck in the middle of and without something to look at to make me hold out it looks like it's going to be the Fenix. Even without those for camparison some shots of this light in the wild would be great. ie out camping, walking through the woods, in a building like a warehouse or anything but a whitewall. I really want to see what this thing can do. Thanks:hitit:

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine today, very impressive for LED! Kinda reminds me of how I felt when I first lit up a Space Needle II back in the day! While definitely not a wall of light like a L4 on steriods...it does produce a good mix of spill and spot.

Two things that bugged me though, this is the first light I actually had to read a manual to operate! While it took me a few seconds to get it, I initially followed the diagram and stuck all the batteries in + towards bezel to - at tailcap, against my instincts of spring side is negative (-). The other thing is battery holder rattles

The AA usage is what sold it for me on this light....I already have plenty of AAs, and they are found everywhere.

Last edited:

nin82

Newly Enlightened
Here's my first attempt at posting beamshots, please be kind ;) I'll be comparing three torches, Fenix LD10, Kingpower K2 & the Fenix TK40 all run at max power.

My camera is a point-and-shoot type (panasonic dmc-tz15), which turns out to be hopeless at taking night shots at range, however the 'night scenery' mode did take photos that were fairly close to how it looked in real life of some beamshots at 10 metres (~33 feet).

Firstly, daytime shot for comparison. It is 10 metres to the wooden fence.

P1000756.jpg

And now, night shot with no lighting also for comparison.

P1000757.jpg

Fenix LD10 turbo mode (120 lumen)

P1000758.jpg

Kingpower K2 high mode (180 lumen)

P1000759.jpg

And finally Fenix TK40 turbo mode (630 lumen)

P1000760.jpg

I was did try taking beamshots at at longer ranges, but the photos didn't turn out so well...

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought 16 rechargable energizers specifically for the tk40 and they work great. energizer makes chargers that charge 8 AAs at a time.

i'm curious about the sanyo eneloops though. can someone tell me the deal with them? longer runtime maybe? they seem to be a favorite AA rechargable battery amongst flashaholics.

I'm about to dive into rechargeable AAs and was wondering the same thing ... I know Eneloops are known for holding a charge, more primary-like than the steady drain of a rechargeable, but I figured the rechargeable energizers and the like use the same chemistry. Would appreciate any enlightenment ... moving to these would be a requirement for me to pick up a TK40, so want to nail this first.

Haz

Enlightened
I'm about to dive into rechargeable AAs and was wondering the same thing ... I know Eneloops are known for holding a charge, more primary-like than the steady drain of a rechargeable, but I figured the rechargeable energizers and the like use the same chemistry. Would appreciate any enlightenment ... moving to these would be a requirement for me to pick up a TK40, so want to nail this first.

If you intend to charge the batteries and intend to use it immediately Energizers will be fine for your needs. They have higher Mah's compared to Eneloops, so it will give you longer runtime. However if you charge and don't intend to use the battery immediately or only use it for short runtime over weeks and months, then Eneloop will be much better. The fact they hold their charge means they will be there when you need it.

Assuming water is energy in the battery, think of Energizer as a bucket full of water with a small hole in the bottom, where there is a constant and steady flow of liquid draining out of the bucket, if you drink quickly enough, then you will consume most of the water in the bucket. However if you drink slowly you will not be able to drink all the water that was originally in the bucket, because some of the water has drained away.

Think of Eneloop as a smaller bucket full of water, but with a pin prick hole in the bottom, the flow of liquid draining out of the bucket will be lesser due to a tinier hole. If you drink quickly, you will consume most of the water in the bucket, but would still less than the Energizer, due to a smaller size bucket holding less water. However if you drink slowly, it does not matter as much, because you are not losing as much water over time.

So the decision to choose Energizer of Eneloop depends if you are a fast drinker or slow drinker!.

burntoshine

Enlightened
If you intend to charge the batteries and intend to use it immediately Energizers will be fine for your needs. They have higher Mah's compared to Eneloops, so it will give you longer runtime. However if you charge and don't intend to use the battery immediately or only use it for short runtime over weeks and months, then Eneloop will be much better. The fact they hold their charge means they will be there when you need it.

Assuming water is energy in the battery, think of Energizer as a bucket full of water with a small hole in the bottom, where there is a constant and steady flow of liquid draining out of the bucket, if you drink quickly enough, then you will consume most of the water in the bucket. However if you drink slowly you will not be able to drink all the water that was originally in the bucket, because some of the water has drained away.

Think of Eneloop as a smaller bucket full of water, but with a pin prick hole in the bottom, the flow of liquid draining out of the bucket will be lesser due to a tinier hole. If you drink quickly, you will consume most of the water in the bucket, but would still less than the Energizer, due to a smaller size bucket holding less water. However if you drink slowly, it does not matter as much, because you are not losing as much water over time.

So the decision to choose Energizer of Eneloop depends if you are a fast drinker or slow drinker!.

thanks! very well put; and simple enough for anyone to understand. these here energizers'll work just fine for me. i can charge up my 16 for camping or other night outing (in this weekend's case, night easter egg hunt!!) and keep primaries in it whilst it sits atop my nightstand day to day.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd add in a couple of photos of more size comparisons.

Going left to right: Fenix LD10, 2xAA minimag, Fenix TK40, 2xD Maglite

P1000749.jpg

Same again but looking head on, the TK40 is probably about 2mm bigger in diameter than the 2xD Mag.

P1000754.jpg

ah finally i can imagine how big it is, thanks.

Just wondering how is it compared to Mag P7 using stippled standard reflector compared to TK40 in throw performance.

(still considering tk40 but i have Mag-P7 driven at 3.5Amps) :confused:

Glock27

Enlightened
Does any vendor have spare battery carriers? I would feel better having a spare. Once a spare is at hand, the original will probably last forever, but until then.....I'd hate for Murphy to strike and bring the TK40 down.
G27

eric1975

Newly Enlightened
can i use AA lithium batteries in the tk40 and get max output for the amount of time it says

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
can i use AA lithium batteries in the tk40 and get max output for the amount of time it says

i would think more, everytime i see runtimes the L91 always beats nimh and the post here showing nimh doing 2 hours ...maybe 2.5 for L91

The Beacon

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I am confused, but the specs for the TK40 state that it uses 8x 1.5v AA batteries. But rechargeable AAs are usually 1.2v. Would this be a problem?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used mine tonight in the rain and it worked great. I got to get me some more rechargeables since i only got alkalines in it.