Fenix TK40 part 3

Wattnot

Enlightened
Umm, thanks man, but I do know how to use a multimeter. Looking for tips on measuring the TK40 however. In particular if theres a significant parasitic drain or my alligator clips have too much resistance.

You Sunday multimeter drivers are NOT losing your minds. There is an explanation:

I just tried to measure the current from the bottom of the battery carrier to the nearby threads. The light came on but the meter showed NO movement on the 10 amp scale. I thought my good old Simpson was broken! Then I studied it some more and discovered that the main power comes from the TOP of the battery carrier (head side), both positive AND negative. The bottom plate is negative but evidentally used only for switching the logic circuitry. I'm going to have to carefully insert rods down the body to take accurate current draw measurements, which I will do if I can. This explains the parasitic drain, to me at least.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the smart memory chip is the drain; if I leave the tailcap off in lockout for a full day (i.e. no juice reaching the chip from the batteries) then it still remembers the last mode it was on. That indicates some kind of persistent storage I would think.

The electronic type switch used here need to have some current flowing all the time to detect when you click it. That's what the power drain is for, not storage.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
:confused: why oh why did they do it this way , the previous switch method was just fine before ...if it aint broke dont fix it

davidt

Enlightened
Maybe this is a good thing the tk40 switch and not memory consumes power. Now we don't have to open the head to remove the memory chip to stop parasitic current. It probably be easier to open up the tail cap and replace the electronic switch with a mechanical one. Maybe the electronic switch can be replaced with the same switch as the other tk lights use.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this is a good thing the tk40 switch and not memory consumes power. Now we don't have to open the head to remove the memory chip to stop parasitic current. It probably be easier to open up the tail cap and replace the electronic switch with a mechanical one. Maybe the electronic switch can be replaced with the same switch as the other tk lights use.
You can't unfortunately. I don't have a TK40 to look at but generally what's in the tail is simply an momentary switch that sends a pulse to processor (where power drain is consumed) when you press it. Replace it with a clickie will simply achieve the same effect as holding the button down.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried to measure the current from the bottom of the battery carrier to the nearby threads. The light came on but the meter showed NO movement on the 10 amp scale. I thought my good old Simpson was broken! Then I studied it some more and discovered that the main power comes from the TOP of the battery carrier (head side), both positive AND negative. The bottom plate is negative but evidentally used only for switching the logic circuitry. I'm going to have to carefully insert rods down the body to take accurate current draw measurements, which I will do if I can. This explains the parasitic drain, to me at least.

My 0,5mA draw is measured from the bottom of the battery carrier (the light didn't came on). Waiting for a measurement from someone with better equipment. I don't think that my multimeter is very accurate at very low currents.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I managed to build a contraption and took some readings. It was a real PITA.

However, the findings are premature for right now . . . . but will be in my review. I feel you will be pleased. :naughty:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of comparison shots to help those who are still undecided because they think this light is too big: ;)

spbsyp.jpg

15hexah.jpg

roadie

Enlightened
it has a battery carrier like the one similar in a SF M6?

ouch ..... i hate that alot .... :poof: goes out for another new light on the block instead .... :(

but its the only one that has strobe function .... :mecry:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
but its the only one that has strobe function .... :mecry:

Only one of what?
If you mean P7/ MC-E lights... both Eagletac and Wolf Eyes lights have strobe.
If you mean big AA lights... well it is the only AA big light out there right now anyway.

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
Hmm after reading all the threads, I am very tempted to buy a TK40 right now, although I suppose I should wait and see if there is an "upgraded" version. I have already gone and bought a HEAP of eneloops and my Maha C9000 should be coming tomorrow, all in preperation for the TK40!

Until then, I can keep using my other Fenix lights (P3D and P2D).

Thanks for the useful info guys!

Jackal-Head

Newly Enlightened
If this hasn't been mentioned yet, theres a good video of Fenix TK40 on youtube created by eardowel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWG4B7yp2Z4

He's mixing eneloops with Delkin rechargeables. Seems like somebody is trying hard to deep discharge a few batteries. :banghead:

I'm a bit concerned about deep discharging however even if identical NiMH batteries are used. Is this a problem? Can 3 strong cells in one series mask one weaker cell?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my new TA30 with me on my nightly walk tonight instead of the TK40. Wow you can get used to 600 lumens pretty fast. I only use the light in a couple of dark places I walk through, and 200+ lumens always has seemed more than bright enough... until tonight.

Tomorrow the TK40 goes out with me again.

fairway1

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else have any holster or case ideas? I can tell you the flimsy plastic case the light came in won't last too long. I don't own a Surefire m6 but would the John Willis case for the m6 work with the TK40?

cuttingedge

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else have any holster or case ideas? I can tell you the flimsy plastic case the light came in won't last too long. I don't own a Surefire m6 but would the John Willis case for the m6 work with the TK40?
I have ordered a holster from Pacific Tactical Solutions. It is listed under accessories for Wolf Eyes flashlights. The model is Boxer 168R Nylon Holster. It specifically says it will fit the Tk40. I should be receiving it in a couple of days. I will post a thread when it arrives and I try it out.:)

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened

Latest posts