Fenix TK41 Battery Holder Help

shane1

Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK41 and the battery holder has rotted and disintegrated. I contacted Fenix and a they no longer carry replacements so if I cannot find an alternate way to hold the batteries the light will be a paperweight. Any ideas?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
That sounds like a bit of a grim situation. I think finding a replacement will prove very difficult, if not impossible. When you say "rotted and disintegrated", was their some type of battery leak or something? I know plastic can become brittle after aging, though it's hard to envision why one would fall apart like you describe in 10 years time.

Is there not enough carrier left to duct tape and glue together? Maybe someone with a good 3D Printer could replicate it?

I don't know how the battery carrier is wired together in the TK41, but whatever voltage it outputs with those 8AA's, maybe you could run two or three cells Li-ion cells with a spacer in the tube.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Best bet is to try and find a complete light and get the carrier off of that. I love mine. Great light.

shane1

Enlightened
Thank you. No battery leak but there was some in the past. Was too brittle to glue back together. I will look into some others type of adapters. Thanks again.

That sounds like a bit of a grim situation. I think finding a replacement will prove very difficult, if not impossible. When you say "rotted and disintegrated", was their some type of battery leak or something? I know plastic can become brittle after aging, though it's hard to envision why one would fall apart like you describe in 10 years time.

Is there not enough carrier left to duct tape and glue together? Maybe someone with a good 3D Printer could replicate it?

I don't know how the battery carrier is wired together in the TK41, but whatever voltage it outputs with those 8AA's, maybe you could run two or three cells Li-ion cells with a spacer in the tube.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked the main European distributors unfortunately the spare battery carrier is out of stock!

You can still find the light if you end up deciding to buy a new one!

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened
Firstly, I think you need to figure out if it's OK to replace the battery holder on your own, just in case all the efforts will not be in vain. Then, maybe you can ask the local dealers for help, or search on more forums to see if you could get the parts. Good luck to you!;)

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Contact the Fenix Service to check if they can fix it for you!

shane1

Enlightened
I did and this is what they told me:

We are contacting you today to let you know it appears that we do not have the parts necessary to complete the repair. Because the TK41 is discontinued and has been replaced, Fenix is no longer making parts. That being said, We can offer you a discount for any inconvenience this has caused. If you have any questions concerning this please respond here.

Thank you for your time and I hope that you have a great day!

Hi there,

Contact the Fenix Service to check if they can fix it for you!

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Does the TK41 have the traditonal type layout, with a positive contact spring at the head and a negative contact spring at the tail? And what voltage does a freshly charged pack read?

I don't see why one couldn't make a battery tube from rolled up cardboard/paper and tape, and run 2 to 3 Li-ion cells inside, depending on how much voltage the TK41 needs.

shane1

Enlightened
Does the TK41 have the traditonal type layout, with a positive contact spring at the head and a negative contact spring at the tail? And what voltage does a freshly charged pack read?

I don't see why one couldn't make a battery tube from rolled up cardboard/paper and tape, and run 2 to 3 Li-ion cells inside, depending on how much voltage the TK41 needs.

Here is a photo of the battery cage. It used 8AA batteries.

Attachments

• 583C8F2D-748E-4A11-9374-2990D9FDE002.jpg
    583C8F2D-748E-4A11-9374-2990D9FDE002.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 250

wjv

Enlightened
Have some place scan it in and then use a 3D printer to create a new one.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hi shanel1,

Since the TK41 is discontinued and the parts are no longer made as the local distributor has told, the distributor will offer you with discount if you wouldn't mind changing another model. But if you insist fixing the TK41, please contact the Fenix after-sale service: [FONT=&quot][email protected]; the personnel will [/FONT]professionally [FONT=&quot]deal with you problem.

Any further issue, feel free to contact! [/FONT]

I did and this is what they told me:

We are contacting you today to let you know it appears that we do not have the parts necessary to complete the repair. Because the TK41 is discontinued and has been replaced, Fenix is no longer making parts. That being said, We can offer you a discount for any inconvenience this has caused. If you have any questions concerning this please respond here.

Thank you for your time and I hope that you have a great day!
-Daniel

Funnboy84

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone manager to open this light? Mine has a problem turning on ( it turns on, but most times it registers two button presses or none..switching it on is like a lottery)..it's old but has not been used, let alone abused..

Raccoon

Enlightened
Has anyone manager to open this light? Mine has a problem turning on ( it turns on, but most times it registers two button presses or none..switching it on is like a lottery)..it's old but has not been used, let alone abused..
I'm having the same problem with mine. It has been unusable for a few years because the two buttons aren't functioning correctly. They make a nice tactile click, but the contacts seem to be messed up. I'm guessing that it unscrews between the buttons and the heat fins, but I don't want to scratch it up with pliers, and I don't have access to a nice bench vice.

This is one of my favorite lights (out of dozens) as it is my only quality AA flashlight. I bought it to mooch off of free AA batteries from the FEMA trucks when SHTF, since that's all our government stockpiles in case of an emergency. Though, I would love to 3D print a battery carriage that held some modern li-ion cells. That does seem to be the weakness with this light -- no spare parts and next to impossible to improvise your own without a cad drawing.

The TK41 has always been one of the best throwers, even with its modest 800 lm. I'd love to upgrade to a more efficient emitter.