Find the Arc 4+

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I was annoyed recently by a dumbA shakelight on my coffee table. Anytime one of my lith-powered lights got within 2 inches of it, they "mated." There's enough iron in s CR2 or 123 to pick up a SF E2e easily with a decent magnet- just tried it.

Larry

pianoman

Enlightened
Call Peter, there is a signal emitter in the chip that can be activated....

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my neighbor had his house re-shingled awhile back, the roofing guys used a neat roller gizmo on the end of a rake-handle. Basically, it was a round magnetized roller about 4 feet long that they rolled back and forth over the grassy area between our houses to pull up roofing nails that had fallen there during the job. Worked slicker than a whistle. Even if the light isn't magnetic, it should make a pretty noticeable noise when it strikes an ARC4+.

BTW, when I was 12 years old, I remember finding my mom's wedding ring that she lost on the lawn one day when she was sunbathing. She had frantically and futilely searched all day for it before confiding in me about the tragedy and asking for my help. Clearly, she was terrified of telling my dad that it was gone. Seeing the opportunity of a lifetime, I got down on my hands and knees, nose-to-nose with the blades of grass and all of God's little creatures therein, and searched for hours. Finally found the little beauty way down in a crack in the dried-out dirt. The first rainstorm would have covered it with mud permanently. My mom never uttered another cross word to me right up to this day.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there is enough "real metal" in most batteries to let a light be attracted by a magnet, as tvodrd stated (thanks, btw).

And it will turn up. My G6 (black with a KL3 head) once tried a Steve McQueen-esque "Great Escape" (uhoh, geez I'm old and forgetful -- there's probably a bunch of folks here who ain't gonna get that reference, so I have one thing to say 'bout it -- RENT THAT MOVIE!!!) in the lawn. After about two or three days, and one mowing, I found it, none the worse for the wear.

Now, just hope the squirrels don't send you a ransom note.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of good suggestions here, but I will throw out one more. Look at night using a headlamp for your search light (or hold your flashlight at your temple). It will put out shadowless light that will penetrate the grass better than daylight or a handheld flashlight and you are more likely to see the lost flashlight or at least catch a reflection. Having your grass cut short would not hurt either.

And again, try to think of where you were besides the obvious. Maybe you forgot that you had to move the car to mow? Maybe it's behind your gas can? Also, local rental centers might have metal detectors that you can rent.

On second thought, why are we all trying to help him find this rare light? Shouldn't we be lurking around his yard at 2am?

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TheLimey said:
Each time I see a new post in this thread I'm hoping it's MicroE letting us know that he's found it!

[/ QUOTE ]

No such luck.
I re-searched the mower and the garage and lots of other places.
I spent 20 minutes walking around the yard with my L4 in the dark looking for a reflection.
No dice (or at least no Arc).
D@mn.
This is the point where I would normally go out and buy a replacement. The arrival of a replacement almost always makes the missing item magically appear out of thin air.
Alas, there is no direct replacement to purchase.
I have placed an order for an HDS Extreme. I wonder if its arrival (sung to the tune of "Some Day My Prince Will Come") will be enough to bring the Arc out of hiding.

BTW, thanks for reminding me. I have been planning to borrow The Great Escape and show it to my sons (ages 5 and 9). They have already seen A Bridge Too Far, Bridge on the River Kwai, and (just last week) Midway. I consider these films to be acceptable for the boys because they are educational/historical. Plus the boys love movies with lots of shooting and explosions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
Saving Private Ryan, however, would just bring on nightmares.---Marc

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bridge over the River Kwai is a true classic, it must immedietly be followed by The Breakfast Club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
My arc 4 pulses every few seconds when sitting cool not to bright(brighter the colder it is) but if you are looking at the bussiness end when it pulses you can see it.must be darkadapted eyes and fully dark outside you might get lucky.
Chris

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has it turned up yet? If not, try what my stepson does when he loses something -- he rants and raves, claims he's looked everyplace for it, and then lets my wife find it right in plain sight.

Not that my wife doesn't have my stuff turn up in her purse ("Oh, did I forget to tell you I borrowed that?")

Have you re-checked the vehicle(s), in the cushions of the sofa, and inside the dreaded sockeater (washer & dryer)?

Also, I no longer tolerate cuffed slacks because the cuffs eat things and then refuse to spit them out until you are trying to sneak into the house quietly.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughters left my first Infinity in our GMC Jimmy on the way home from a vacation once. It never turned up despite repeated searches. I still wonder what happened. Had it been an Arc4+, I'd probably have gone nuts enough to dismantle the car.

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chmsam said:
...Has it turned up yet?...

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Maybe it has gone to Arc heaven.
Maybe it was recalled to the Mother Ship when Arc Flashlight failed.
I have begun carrying my Arc LS (modded by Jets22 to Lux III) but I miss the ability to use the low power setting of the Arc4.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to grab a metal detector and do the yard.

And the vehicle(s) (Nice trick!)

Family members (Don't give 'em an MRI!!!)

Pets (MRI? Naw, waaayyy too sick)

Time to offer a reward or up the reward. (You'll know it's high enough when all the neighbors -- not just kids -- are in your yard looking for it. Hey, what's the cost of putting in a couple of acres of new lawn vs. getting your ARC back?)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reminds me, I lost track of my GM-E1 last night. Cleaning out my Dodge Dakota around 9pm, I threw out a large shopping bag full of trash that was in the back seat of my truck. Well, it turns out that I got back in the house, cleaned out my pockets, and no E1! So I freaked out, thinking it was in one of the trash bags. Looked through them, no dice, looked outside in the grass near my truck, no dice. Went to sleep, get up to go to work, go back out in truck and in one last desperate plea, I lifted up the rear fold-up bench seat and saw my light buried under my jumper cables. WHEW! It must have fallen out when I crouched over the front seat.

I hope your Arc4+ turns up soon!