Flashlight and their Non-Flashlight Counterparts

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
"Because I like gadgets...don't tease me or I won't help you when the zombies attack"

LGT

Enlightened
Must agree. I wonder if any lives would have been saved on the Costa Concordia had some carried flashlights. At least it would have made their lives easier navigating a dark hallway

Last edited:

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your advice guys. I sm quite appalled thinking about how ignorant people can be about being practical - like carrying a light, and/or s knife. Most result to using their teeth, and their phones to illuminate.

Speaking of which, I usually told them a pricey flashlight is like a pricey car, a timepiece, or a DSLR, or the latest and greatest smartphones. They're expensive for good reasons and you will get what you paid for.

I mean, we can snap pictures using a point-n-shoot or a cameraphone even, but people would still justify getting a DSLR. A Timex would tell you what time it is just as a Panerai would. Like a supercar, A cheap small car can take you from A to B without walking. So it boils down to how fast and reliabiliy did we get there, how accurate the watch is, and how sharp and technical the picture will be taken.

People generally can accept these, but still csn't wrap their heads on a good flashlight that costs way more than the Harbor Freight special.

Just some food for thought:

A good point and shoot takes pictures of the same quality as a DSLR off the shelf with the kit lens. Once you spend upwards of 600 dollars for a single lens is actually the only way to make a dslr outperform a point and shoot.

A digital timex or casio is WAY more accurate than any mechanical watch, Rolex and Omega and A Lange included.

But I agree with your analogy, its all about style and fun as well as performance.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very time efficient to have such tools at your disposal (pocket) and on demand instead of ferreting through drawers searching for them, I used to EDC a small folding blade to but our Government felt that people had no business carrying such items outside of their homes (with rare job related exceptions) so now it's outlawed :(

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
My lights as of late has been Hyundai's = 4Sevens. Both with their 10 year warranties. :nana:

Anyway, most people don't have questions about my flashlights at night, mainly because they already know I like and carry flashlights. But for those instances during the day with questioning, I generally tell them; "Well I'm usually still up when it gets dark!"

Raze

Enlightened
Maxabeam = NASCAR

Totally diff category altogether.

I work at night for the 2100 - 0600 shift. I park a block away. Yet people question me why I would have a light on me. I don't get it. At one point I thought everyone else has night vision eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.

Raze

Enlightened
Maxabeams only direct a beam to the left?

Hehe. I forgot about that. Didn't mean to offend Maxabeam, its fine products, and those who own them.

It's just that Maxabeam's image project the similar intensity (pardon the pun) of those race cars. HID may not be as new as LEDs, nor do they innovate the tech of it often - but HID packs enough punch for cloud-bouncing. NASCAR still use carburetted 1000bhp engines right? To go left (hehe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.