Flashlight battery availability

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
I've only bought a few lights in the past year and limited my shopping to AA and AAA battery lights because I knew I could get the batteries anywhere, even gas stations. I got a charger and a bunch of rechargable batteries for lights and they go in everything else in the house. I'm terrified (financially :eek::)) to say that my desire in lights is growing into the CR 123 battery lights. What stores sell them? I don't want to invest in a charger since a light would be the only thing in the house that needs them. I'd rather just get them at a store. Thanks for any help.

Jack

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
Around here, they (lithium primaries) can be found at Target, Best Buy, most other electronics/big box stores and pharmacies. However, they're typically quite expensive at your average retail store. Since you don't want to go the rechargeable route (I haven't yet, either), you should definitely consider just buying some bulk packages online. I've found them for as low as $17 shipped for a dozen (Streamlight, made in USA), including shipping. I imagine if you're patient, you'll probably find them for less.

So yes, they can be had pretty easily locally (at least, in the US), but beyond needing them in a hurry or in an emergency, I'd recommend stocking up online.

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Around here, they (lithium primaries) can be found at Target, Best Buy, most other electronics/big box stores and pharmacies. However, they're typically quite expensive at your average retail store. Since you don't want to go the rechargeable route (I haven't yet, either), you should definitely consider just buying some bulk packages online. I've found them for as low as $17 shipped for a dozen (Streamlight, made in USA), including shipping. I imagine if you're patient, you'll probably find them for less.

So yes, they can be had pretty easily locally (at least, in the US), but beyond needing them in a hurry or in an emergency, I'd recommend stocking up online.

Thanks a bunch. How about Li-Ion 14500 batteries? I just ordered a OLIGHT T15 which uses AA or the 14500 batteries. Compatible with 3V-4.2V rechargeable battery (Li-Ion 14500) is the quote. What difference will the 14500 batteries give me? Do they come non-rechargable? I would have to get another charger if I wanted to use 14500 rechargable batteries so, will thay go in kids toys, etc.? If I ever do get a charger that will charge I hope it would do the AA NiMh batteries also. I'm guessing no since the device needs to be compatable (flashlight, etc.) with them. The light I carry most (Fenix LD01) says it uses AAA Nimh or NiCd batteries but there is no mention of 14500s. I'm assuming they won't work in the LD01, maybe even damaging it.

This is getting crazy. A couple of minutes ago it seems like I didn't realize I had to have an EDC light. Now I'm looking at all these batteries??? :)

Jack

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened
By definition, the 14500s are rechargeable. Shortly after I started buying LED flashlights, I invested in an inexpensive Li-ion battery charger (an XTAR MP1S, a USB device that can recharge a variety of Li-ion battery sizes thru the use of spacers that screw into one end of the charging bed). You would need a different type of charger for NiMH batteries (e.g., Sanyo Eneloops). If you opt not to get a charger, but you still want to use other sizes (e.g., cr123s), you might want to consider the advice from an earlier post and buy them in bulk online.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
First a 14500 is a AA sized Li-ion and a 10440 is a AAA sized one all batterys like this are 4.2v vs. 1.5v for alkaline and a little less for Nimh. They will work in a lot of lights that say they wont like the LD01 but be careful the LD01 will got hot but some lights will just break. For example 1-14500 in a Quark AA=awesome... 2-14500's in a Quark AA^2 (8.4v)=POOF! and don't stick them in toy's ect leave those for Nimh if you want rechargable.

CR123's are pretty common but I would never buy them for wal-mart, taget, batterys +, gas station ect they are way to much, like $7 a piece. The only place I would buy them besides online is gander mt or REI and only if I had to, there about $2.50 per battery. Online they can be had for just over $1.

Speaking from experience and how awesome small lights are on 10440 and 14500's id get a cottonpickers charger and just go lithium. Just keep some CR123's for emergency's like in the car and places you don't want lithiums.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
like scaryfatkid said, 14500 are AA sized li-ion. i dont like the idea of my compact AA light running so bright that it gets hot really fast, which defeats the purpose for using a li-ion for its higher voltage output.
i think nimhs such as eneloops are a better rechargeable option. but, i use energizer lithium AA in all my AA lights.
if you dont want to spend, stick with AA and AAA lights. you will have so many great lights to chose from if you go the cr123 route, which is a good and bad thing, for your wallet.

i recently got a surefire E2L-AA. it uses 2xAA, and im loving it. its got me thinking of just going strictly to AA cells. but of course i not going to do that unless i moved to a place where obtaining cr123 is out of the question.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... my Quark on 14500 is the same "good" as with Ni-Mhs, the ONLY argument is, that AAs can be purchased, while Li-Ions "only" can be recharged ...

since I switched to rechargeables, I never had to purchase any battery anymore. Just think of output chosen, runtime needed and spare cells You have with You.
Batteries is only producing unnecessary dangerous waste.

PS: If You are thinking of CR123 lights, better immediately switch to 18650 Li-Ion.
While being totally comparable to 2*CR123, the 18650 lights offer much more energy stored in the cell.

PPS: and when one uses lights, the only way is rechargeables.
Maybe there are some that do not care for cost, but in the end its unnecessary waste again

edpmis02

Enlightened
Primaries - you may not be sure if they are 90% or 40% life left. they die a slow death

For cr123s.. get them online in bulk. Use them in 2x lights for a while, then use the batteries in a 1x until fully dead.

Alkalines - okay for low power usage.. higher powered lights need NiMh to keep the current up.

Rechargeables - You know they are 100% when you want them (check voltage, and keep them recharged) but may cut off with no warning if using Li-ION

Last edited:

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Primaries - you may not be sure if they are 90% or 40% life left. they die a slow death

For cr123s.. get them online in bulk. Use them in 2x lights for a while, then use the batteries in a 1x until fully dead.

Alkalines - okay for low power usage.. higher powered lights need NiMh to keep the current up.

Rechargeables - You know they are 100% when you want them (check voltage, and keep them recharged) but may cut off with no warning if using Li-ION

I've been outside with my Fenix LD01 walking my dog and the light is working perfect. I would change the setting and all of a sudden it wouldn't turn on because the battery was ok intil it wouldn't work at all. No dim time as a warning. Gladly, I had my seeing eye dog to get me home. :) That is, unless she sees a rabbit. :) THAT's great performance I think. If in a situation where the light was essential I'd just need to carry spare batteries.

Lots of information in this thread that I appreciate. I absolutely DO NOT NEED better performance from my lights than I get from rechargable AA and AAA batteries. I always just like to have the best tools I can afford. In this case however, I'm going to stay with the "A" batteries, for now at least. Like someone up there said, that still leaves a lot of great choices. Thanks for all the info guys.

Jack

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
As for heat on li-ions just keep the light on medium until you need high or want to impress people

karnevil

Newly Enlightened
The cheapest I've ever seen them in a retail store is at Lowes. They sell 2pks of Surefire CR123s for about $5.

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
Titanium Innovations makes the 14505 which is a disposable 3v version of the 14500 (which is 4.20v off the charger). For the few lights that that take either Li-Ion OR Alkeline/Energizer lithium's it would be a charger-less option. Good for the bail-out bag.

The coolest charger (IMHO) is this:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...l-Worlds-smallest-Li-ion-charger-with-display

I would get the digital read-out and clamps with magnets. Great for working at the office and watching your toys charge up. It works on Li-Ion (RCR123, 18650, 26500, etc), and IMR's which have Li-Mn chemistry. You can order in various charge rates depending on battery size but I charge my RCR123's with an 60mah one (it just takes a couple hours, lol).

Last edited:

Latest posts