Flashlight for Girlfriends / Wives

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a Surefire G2 yellow. I'm going to get here one very soon to match her yellow and black "bumblebee" Nextel i530.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something you don't mind giving her another one of should she misplace the first one. Or a third one, or a fourth....

I vote for the Dorcy 1AAA on the small end and one of the small 3xAAA multi-led lights on the high end, unless she is actually interested in lights, in which case she'll tell you.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stay away from anything that can get dangerously hot in a purse.

I like the idea of a 1-cell LED that can be locked out: E1L, L1, something like that. Gladius maybe if she wants something substantial.

By the way, I apply the same thing to myself for lights that go in jacket pockets. Nobody always remembers to lockout their light.

Scott

greenLED

Flashaholic
It all depends on how much of a flashaholic you're significant other is.

For the uninitiated GF: Mag Soli. You can later upgrade to an ArcAAA, Photon, or similar. I'm thinking keychain lights here, guys.

For larger lights: start with minimag, mod with sammie, LUX Infinity. I tried giving my wife an Arc LS, but she wouldn't take it. : phew!:

sithjedi333

Enlightened
I'm thinking one of those 1w Peak AAAs when they come out. Maybe a Fire~fly.

Other 1xCR123 lights are too big for those with small purses, especially with all the other junk they want to pack in there. Otherwise I would say a Nuwai QIII is the way to go. Good beam and cheap enough to replace when it inevitably gets lost. There are 2 stage switch mods available too.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
beezaur said:

By the way, I apply the same thing to myself for lights that go in jacket pockets. Nobody always remembers to lockout their light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, Scott. That's another reason I like a Q3 as it's clicky isn't likely to get turned on inadvertently.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have supplied my wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, 2 sister-in-law, step-mom. I gave them ARC LS, MiniMag/Sandwich, MiniMag/NewBeam, Infinity Ultra-G, Dorcy AAA, Photon 2, 3x123 2C Mags, G2s, etc. I mean I gave each of them pretty much all of these lights and more.

My wife even has a Surefire L4 that she doesn't use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif At home she usually grabs a yellow 2D Rayovac modified to 3x123/KPR112. She said it is easier for her to find in the dark.

The Photon 2 is the most popular light with the women in my family. I think The Surefire G2 is probably their second choice.

They like the Photon 2s because of size and their purses are already full of stuff. I assume they like the G2s because of size and brightness, but none of them carry it with them, it seems to be their "go to light". Some of them carry the Ultra in their purse, but only one carries a ARC LSL-S.

After spending so much money on lights for them in the past few years I recommend a Photon 2 for their key rings and a G2 for when they really need a light.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a QIII here. A 1AAA Dorcy is a good and cheap idea if she isn't interested in flashlights.

meat

Newly Enlightened
My wife was happy with her minimag, but with the price war on QIII's, I couldn't resist.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dissagree on the Q3. It is way too rugged and can damage items it comes in contact with, such as my sunglasses in my jacket pocket. That was expensive to fix. I put an ARC AAA on her keychain because she said she liked it. She has used it on occasion. I also have her use the Tiger74 with pepper spray from time to time.

Some other choices would be a modded solitaire, NEOCA woody, or micro mag. I may try the Fire Fli Zinc air. Also she commented that the Eternalight Elite was the nicest light that she's 'seen' in my collection but I doubt she would actually enjoy using it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

JM2C /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

junior

Enlightened
I gave my girlfriend a Photon 2 for here keys and a DorcyAAA
for her purse.

DaveT

Enlightened
Well, QIII comes with a cheap little soft sheath - that's what my wife's is in in her purse...seems to be working OK so far.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
My wife: Arc AAA in purse, SF 6P at work, Petzl Tikka Plus at home.
My mom carries a PT Blast everywhere, 3D Mag with Diamond LED at home.
My godmother: 16 LED 3AAA from Hong Kong, she loves it!
In the loss column, I outfitted both my best friend and my sister with E2e-SGs, but neither of them have ever used it. I thought the pretty shiny body would appeal to them as women, but no dice.
Oh well, maybe I'll get them back one day!

daloosh

nethiker

Enlightened
While still in the works, I think Andrew's Minimighty looks like a winner. Stylish, thin form factor to slip in a purse pocket, and supposedly very friendly user interface.

Greg

newo

Newly Enlightened
I told my wife to pick what she wanted as between an Aleph 2 NG750, a TnC AA Keylux, and a Nuwai 2xAAA .5 watt cheapie. (I have found that when I do this from time to time, she is much less apt to comment about my various questionable acquistions.) I explained the difference in performance to her. She asked the difference in cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And then she picked the Nuwai cheapie as her purse light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I asked her why she picked the Nuwai cheapie. Her comment was that she wanted something reasonably bright that she could abuse or lose without getting a facial expression of involutary pain from me when she told me she needed a replacement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif And then she grabbed my ElektroLumens Quad and said, "oh, and this one is mine too. I want it for my nightstand. Get yourself something else."
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

Soooo, a couple of weeks ago, I ordered an ELX-6 FlameThrower from Wayne. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, hurry up, already, Wayne! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hogx1 said:
What is the best light for a Girlfriend/Wife?

Obviously it has to be:
-extremely easy to use
-Small (must fit easily in purse)
-Bright
-pretty

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis mine.

That's pretty funny. We've come so far from the sexism of the sixties. My wife has forgotten more about light than half of the guys on this forum will ever know.

Why not just give her a book of matches? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Or better yet, a BIC lighter -- everyone knows how to use one of those, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The_virus

Enlightened
It really depends on how much appreciation your significant other has for flashlights, not to say give her a lemon because she doesn't know any better, but you've got to be realistic. Outfitting someone with quality gear, who is not going to be impressed or appreciative of the quality is a lost cause. If I gave my girlfriend a SureFire (any model) she'd more likely impress someone else who saw it, than be impressed herself...she's a total non-flashoholic.

I gave her a AAA Mini Maglite (red) and she loves it. She keeps it by her bed at all times should she need to go about at night or whatnot. It's a stock light, and really she wouldn't want anything more, it lights up...which is all she cares about.

As far as suggestions, it also depends on where the light is going, keychain? Purse?

For a keychain, I'd say PT Pulsar II, or Eclipse II. Dorcy AAA LED would be good too, or a Dorcy "excell" AAA (available in pink!). A PT Blast is bigger, but a lot brighter than the others, maybe it's more of a purse light though.

A Gerber Infinity Ultra would be at home either on keys (you'd need to supply your own lanyard and ring) or in a purse, and would be sturdy and bright enough for the expected purpose. Plus it has the advantage of using a step-up regulator over my previous suggestions.

Pelican and Underwater Kinetics (UK) also make some small penlights that are good quality. Like the UK UK2AAA eLED MPL or Pelican MightyLite.

I'd stick with an LED (not Luxeon) if possible as they'd last longer without battery changes. Speaking of batteries, I'd also stick with AAA or AA as they are easy to find, and are cheap. My girlfriend would probably just go without a flashlight (!!) if she tried shopping for 123 Lithium cells at the nearest hardware store. She'd probably see ordering online as too much trouble too, so I'd personally stick with what's readily available pretty much anywhere.

All round, I'd say the Gerber Infinity Ultra would be a good balance of cost, presentation, durability, runtime and brightness for a non-flasholholic who just wants a small light they can chuck in a purse or dangle from a key fob.