Flashlight junkies help!!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I would still consider the Stanley HID $70 from Walmart. There is simply nothing within your price range or that anyone else will be using that will even be remotely comparable to it in spot brightness and output. Just a thought.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
well, if it doesnt need to be pretty, and you have a P60 host (you mentioned you had several surefires and DE stuff) find one that is 18650 compatible, find an IMR 18650 (preferably AW) and see if nailbender will build you an SST-90 direct drive P60 drop in module for your light...it will blister everything...inlcuding your hands, i wouldn't recommend more that 30-45 seconds straight of burntime as the LED may self destruct without active cooling, but it should push you over 1000 real OTF lumens, if you get a good bin

brianch

Enlightened
SST-90 p60 drop-in:eek: it's the end of the world. i think your flashlight will melt in your hand. maybe if the flashlight was made out of copper and has fans built into the heatsinks.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
my 6P has one, i'm underdriving at 2.5 amps instead of the full 10 but she stays cool and still puts out 600-900ish, somehwere in there, its the one flashlight the makes me smile EVERY time i turn it on, i've had it for months now, around july or so, i love it, its like having the corvette of flashlights...with a warp drive under the hood...a new kind of sleeper

Last edited:

brianch

Enlightened
my 6P has one, i'm underdriving at 2.5 amps instead of the full 10 but she stays cool and still puts out 600-900ish, somehwere in there, its the one flashlight the makes me smile EVERY time i turn it on, i've had it for months now, around july or so, i love it, its like having the corvette of flashlights...with a warp drive under the hood...a new kind of sleeper
:faint: any beamshots? I am working on a 6P right now. I am debating between dropping in a MC-E or a R2 or a R4. I am not really that sure yet. I will probably go for the MC-E since I personally find that to be manageable and to not run too hot. Never thought about dropping a SST. What is the price range on something like that?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i don't have a beamshot unfortunately but its a really large smooth hotspot, its not completely flood, but the effect is nearly the same. Its more of a "instead of pointing my light at the deer in the field, let me just turn the field to daylight". It doesn't get hot at 2.5A even on 10-20 minutes anything more than that i don't know...but more amps equals more wow factor. Well nailbender built my module and as his thread doesn't list the price i wouldn't feel comfortable doing it for him, but the LED alone is $30-40 so you will pay more than that.

PS to the op, this is really a great option even though i know it looks like we hijacked your thread

joshconsulting

Enlightened
That sounds like a good idea, SFG - I'd like to buy a cheap light for now, and upgrade it in a few months for my spring camping trip. Whats a good, (relatively cheap) DX light that I could put the bulb into? I'd prefer single 18650; could I put it into the Spider, and hopefully get a slightly more focused beam?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
eek, i don't know anything about deal extreme lights, as long as its P60 and 18650 compatible there *should* be no issue with it. i can vouch for the solarforce L2, i know that one works with both

brianch

Enlightened
My favorite host is the 6P Defender :D

You have to contact nailbender. I think he makes the SST's on demand. I have seen the SST's in action before, but not in a small reflector like the p60 drop-ins. That explains the floodiness. If you slap on a huge deep reflector i'm sure it will throw to the moon.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
yeah, as nailbender doesn't have the price up i'm not comfortable throwing numbers out there, you'll hafta ask him