Flashlight light up 1000 feet- possible?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did mean to mention that the AE is blue, I would rate it the same as a bluer XO tending to a YO color. Not true blue, but trending that way.

Bill

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILA BRAZILIA said:
From the beamshots taken by Mac, the AE PL 24W obviously has more throw, am I right?

I would send Mac a PM. Ask him, he is very experienced about HID lights.

Best regards

____
Tom

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Long John said:
I would send Mac a PM. Ask him, he is very experienced about HID lights.

Best regards

____
Tom

Yes, Long John, Mac is THE man :thumbsup: Mac, where are you? I`ll contact him later.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Mac wroted this, to compare the 2 lights, in his Microfire K2000R review, (Quote):
"The AeLight "Shorty" will out throw the K2000R by approximately 20% (guess) but the K2000R has a much more usable beam with a nice flood and still has a nice hotspot when you need throw. The color of the K2000R looks white compared to the AeLight "Shorty" which looks HID purple."
The AE Powerlight he used in the review, is the "Shorty" version, it is smaller (less runtime), but I believe brightness/throw is identical to the regular AE PL 24W.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting his statement Fila:)

So it's your decision. I would go with the Microfire, but I'm not a HID-man:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Long John said:
Thanks for posting his statement Fila:)

So it's your decision. I would go with the Microfire, but I'm not a HID-man:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

Tom, I haven`made up my mind yet. I like the Microfire better, and it`s smaller. Actually; I am not a HID-MAN either, I would prefer a "normal" flashlight, but...to light up 1000 feet---help me anyone :whistle:

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
So, to everyone here at CPF; I have made a decision. The ligh I will use in this purpose, for dog walk to ligh up 1000 feet, is my CAR :whistle:

mdocod

Flashaholic
you were asking about the size of the amondotech illuminator...

here's some picts to help your decision proccess along..

100_2020.jpg

100_2018.jpg

a 3D mag, the amondotech in the middle and a 15MCP THOR (with a few mods), and of cource, a can of soda, this way you can get a feel for the size... It's not compact by any means, but it makes up for it's bulky size in performance to cost ratio, combined with the fact that it has one of the most USEFULL beam patterns of any spotlight you'll ever use.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
mdocod said:
you were asking about the size of the amondotech illuminator...

here's some picts to help your decision proccess along..

100_2020.jpg

100_2018.jpg

a 3D mag, the amondotech in the middle and a 15MCP THOR (with a few mods), and of cource, a can of soda, this way you can get a feel for the size... It's not compact by any means, but it makes up for it's bulky size in performance to cost ratio, combined with the fact that it has one of the most USEFULL beam patterns of any spotlight you'll ever use.

Thanks, mdocod, I am surprised: The Amondotech is NOT that big! The only thing that kept me from choosing this light, was the size, but, I thought it was bigger. I am sure I can handle this one (I am getting used to the ELX-12, and I think it is heavier than the Amondotech). Thanks mdocod, case closed :sold:

juancho

Enlightened
FILA BRAZILIA said:
Hello again :) The brihtest flashlights I have at the moment, are the Elektrolumens ELX-12 and the BOREALIS. The Elektrolumens ELX-12 can REALLY throw, but NOT 300-400m, I would say 100-200m. The BOREALIS is a modified Mag with a Rolls Royce battery carrier, made by BLACK BEAR (I am sure you are familiar with him, his real name is JUAN), with 1050 lumens output. Neither this one can throw 300-400m. The throw is roughly the same as the ELX-12, maybe a little more (200m).
To be honest, I thought both flashlights (ELX-12/Borealis) would do the job, but NO.

Hi FILA BRAZILIA:
Your red BOREALIS have a light stippled reflector as you requested in your order, a smooth (mirror finish) reflector will get you more range.
E-mail me if you want to exchange it.

Also check for defocusing of the reflector (I have found that sometimes Customs play with my lights before letting them thru).
Twisting the head of the light will alter the relationship of the filament and the reflector.
To focus properly, unscrew the head until the O ring in the body is exposed at the neck of the head, click the light on and pointing it at a white ceiling, screw it back until the hot spot is sharp (well defined) and intense.
That will be the point of maximum throw, going further than that will introduce more flood into the beam.

Best regards
Juan C.

Last edited:

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Juancho,
There is a possibility I will change the reflector to smooth.
I am extremely happy with my BOREALIS the way it is (lights up a big wall of llight several 100s of feet), I might buy a HID light for 1000 feet light purpose. BTW; could you roughly say how much longer a smooth reflector will throw, than my light stippled?

juancho said:
Hi FILA BRAZILIA:
Your red BOREALIS have a light stippled reflector as you requested in your order, a smooth (mirror finish) reflector will get you more range.
E-mail me if you want to exchange it.

Also check for defocusing of the reflector (I have found that sometimes Customs play with my lights before letting them thru).
Twisting the head of the light will alter the relationship of the filament and the bezel.
To focus properly, unscrew the head until the O ring in the body is exposed at the neck of the head, click the light on and pointing it at a white ceiling, screw it back until the hot spot is sharp (well defined) and intense.
That will be the point of maximum throw, going further than that will introduce more flood into the beam.

Best regards
Juan C.

juancho

Enlightened
have a laser Range Finder that I use during the day to check distances, but at night I have in my street too much ambient light to test beyond 200 yards.

But offhand I will say that 75 yards is a possible gain with the smooth reflector over the light stippled.
It is very important that the light is adjusted for maximum focus (as I explained in the post above) and that the bulb is centered in the hole of the reflector, (for centering of the bulb, see my instruction pages).

The subject that you want to illuminate at maximum distance will have an importance in the amount of light perceived.
If your dog is black and furry, that dark fur will absorb a lot of light, if the light falls on a flat surface (like a road sign) will reflect more and you will see that target clear.
Trees depending on the texture of the bark will absorb some light, some more than others.

Glad you are happy with the BOREALIS; E-mail me if you want to trade reflectors.
But be aware that the smooth reflector, been mirror finish introduce the shadow of the filament at short distances (at longer distances it is not noticeable)

See in this picture at left the Light Stippled and at right the Smooth reflector, notice the shadow of the filament coming out of the corona at 8 and 10 and 2 and 4 o'clock

klintonpictures.jpg

Best regards
Juan C.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Juancho:
I will contact you very soon If I decide to get the smooth reflector.
Thanks for the instructions on how to focus the beam.
EXCELLENT instructions (as always):goodjob:
Fila

Masterofbeam

Newly Enlightened
I think pictures will help you to now what you need.

And here you can see what you can get.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/142274

24W HID is the minimum to make you happy.
Minimum 130mm Reflektor, with D2S or DL50 bulbs.
Small reflectors dont give you all the light out.

24W HID is the minimum, IMPORTANT, the 1700 lumen version.
The arc is shorter so the reflector can also be smaller at this bulb.

Practical experience from things I had have in my hand or I build diy, not theory.
If you need parts to build one, let me now.

Regards

Mike

Last edited: