Flashlight Overload Anyone?

Darvis

Enlightened
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm literally at the point where I have analysis paralysis/selection overload when it comes to which flashlight I want to carry.

So much so, that I often leave the house with 5 or 6 lights because I can't decide which one will be best suited for my (often percieved) needs. Some days... and I hate to admit this... I'm not sure I even want to go through the routine, which often goes like this:

"I want to carry the HDS today, but what if it hoses on me becasue it's a clicky and is programmable and stuff happens? Oh, I'll carry my tried and true peak as well because it allways works. Hmmm, the Malkoff... I like the diffused beam of the M60LF... Similar batteries, but I "should" have at least on AA light with me as well, so that's the El Cap... and heck, the Eiger/ReVo/E01 takes up no room at all..."

Sigh.

How about the rest of you? How in the heck do you decide which to carry? How do you keep it down to one light? The madness... THE MADNESS!!!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every morning man. At least on the days I'm not wearing a jacket the decision is limited to the front row. On rainy days the back row comes into play too. :duh2:

nightstand.jpg

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have this problem.
T1A Titan on a lanyard around my neck (soon to be replaced by a TI Neutral Aeon when it arrives)
Novatac edc120p in it's well worn belt holster
Oveready bored and anodized surefire 9P withe oveready/moddoo neutral triple in it's belt holster.

That covers all my lighting needs, big bright light, dimmer long running light, very dim map light, spare battery carrier.

if I'm working a night shift (newspaper photographer) I will grab either the M4 or 5mega 2x18650 body with Lumensfactoy head. Which one of these I grab depends on which was charged most recently, and which one I feel like taking (normally the M4)

Darvis

Enlightened
Ah yes, the 5MM challenge!! Maybe this is what I need to cure my affliction!!

mbw_151

Enlightened
I've overcome decision paralysis by establishing a rotation where I just grab the lights for the day and go. I divided my lights into two groups; flexible multimodes and bullet proof single modes. I put each group in a case. I just take the next one in the case each day. If decide to skip a light, I make a note that goes in the case. After a while, lights that are on the skip list many times are evaluated for one of two fates; Market Place or shelf queen. Either way, they come out of the case. It's not a perfect system, but I'm not late to work because I couldn't figure out what lights to carry.

nbp

Flashaholic
Join us in the 5mm challenge! It's kinda nice, like getting back to your flashaholic roots. It certainly makes the decision easier in the morning, and will likely help you appreciate that your "perceived needs" are often just that. We seldom NEED 350 lumens. Often 10 is plenty. :grin2:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any lights I like a lot in between my LD01 and TK45 in terms of size or output, so the LD01 goes in the side of my Leatherman case on my belt and the TK45 goes in my backpack. It certainly makes things easier when you don't have so many lights!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've decided on specific uses for each of my lights, so I go by what I expect to do. For work, I have my 3 specific EDC's, for wekends, I go with whichever mini I feel I haven't used in a while or just feel like carrying (sometimes supplemented with a good thrower if I'm wearing cargo's). When it comes to night hiking, I just go berzerk and take at least 5 or 6 plus one or two headlamps... that's only if I'm not taking beamshots, of course...

richpalm

Banned
During the day I'll take a reflectored XM-L 'cause I figure I'll need the more intense spot if I have to poke around in shadows, car, drawer, etc. At night I take one of my triples and 1 or 2 more backup lights, whatever suits my mood and purpose.

Rich

Xacto

Enlightened
Currently I carry a Z2L everyday, leaving my usual edc rotation of SF6Ps at home, and sometimes add a G2 with an LED dropin to my setup. Depends on my mood.

Cheers
Thorsten

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the drawer by the front door stacked with choices, each jacket has atleast two lights before I leave the house, sometimes based on battery chemistry, other times based on my mood.
Couple or more in each vehicle for the Just incase.
My only regret is I've been caught twice without a thrower in the last year. But I've remedied that by having one in my lunch box and one in the work van. Am I tired of it? No. Do I wish I was psychic so I could always pick right? Maybe ;)

Darvis

Enlightened
Thanks guys for all the responses so far! I love delving into the thought process behind some of the things we do, and I think this routine is a great example. CarpentryHero: the line about needing a thrower and now always having one in the lunch box, excellent.

I like some of your "systems" and I have my own as well (sometimes). The truth is, we are pretty similar it seems... passion for the hobby number one, and I'll bet most of you are pretty solid EDC forum readers as well and often include a blade and other items as daily carry, all picked for various reasons to make the ultimate kit.

Anyway, as an aside.. I'm going to go over and pile on to the 5mm challenge and see where it goes.

carrot

Flashaholic
For a number of CPF'ers (including yours truly), the next 6-7 days will be as simple as it gets, lol.

Join us in the 5mm challenge! It's kinda nice, like getting back to your flashaholic roots. It certainly makes the decision easier in the morning, and will likely help you appreciate that your "perceived needs" are often just that. We seldom NEED 350 lumens. Often 10 is plenty. :grin2:

Anyway, as an aside.. I'm going to go over and pile on to the 5mm challenge and see where it goes.

I had a good chuckle when I saw the 5mm challenge being mentioned here. I was about to mention it myself! Like everyone else here I have way too many flashlights to choose from and in fact last week I decided that I would carry just ONE and I truly enjoyed having lighter pockets. This week, however, I decided to see how minimal I could take it and invited everyone else to find out with me!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have my backup light on my keychain: ITP AAA (it's primary use is as a loaner)

For my main light:
If I leave the house wearing a belt, I have my high CRI HDS EDC holstered on it.
If I leave the house without a belt, I clip my Incendio inside my pocket.
If I'm going someplace where I'm wary of pickpockets, I bring my Quark AA instead of the HDS.
If I'm traveling for more than a couple of days, I substitute the Quark for the HDS and add my RED LED photon freedom micro around my neck.

In addition to the above...
...if I'm wearing a jacket and/or I expect significant light use, I bring my L-mini II
...if I plan significant lab work, I bring my H501w
...if I just want to play, I bring my SC51w (unsuitable as my main light, but loads of fun to play with when bored)

Of course, my collection is small enough that I don't have multiple lights competing for the same niche.

--flatline

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I have this problem, more when I look at how many lights I have and try to pick a few to sell. Which ones do I use more, which ones are shelf queens, which ones do I need to keep "just in case" (funny how my just in case scenarios are so remote to find reasons not to sell a light). For my EDC, my HDS is always with me - yet I always run a mental comparison against 5 or 6 other lights everyday.

I should try to do the daily rotation, but I fear that days will go by and some lights just won't get used at all.

It's really tough being us.......

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually more concerned about clothing that lacks enough pockets.
This is my shelf at work... there are more at home and stuffed in bug-out-bags!
P1017039.jpg

P1017041.jpg

P1017040.jpg

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying MY perfect light for 3 years now; McGizmo Haiku.

Darvis

Enlightened
I have been carrying MY perfect light for 3 years now; McGizmo Haiku.

3 years with the same light? Some would call that a marriage.

I'm actually more concerned about clothing that lacks enough pockets.
This is my shelf at work... there are more at home and stuffed in bug-out-bags!

Work from home I hope!!!?? That's a lot of hobby money left at the office everyday if not..

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Hogo- OMG! :) I must say,though, I'm with TKC about the Haiku. My XP-G has been my go-to EDC since I bought it from Don. MANY others have come and gone, some staying longer than others, but the Haiku has been the mainstay. I always carry a "primary" 1x123 or AA EDC, a keychain AAA, and a Photon Freedom if I'm out of my house. Sometimes another small light thrown in my pocket depending on what has my fancy at the moment. At home, LF2XT, Titan, Aeon, Mako... one or the other. Lately the Sunwayman and Jetbeam infinitely variables (And Mac's Tri-EDC) have been getting some EDC time, but I keep coming back to the Haiku. And always a clipped pocketknife and small Swiss Army on the keychain. I think I need suspenders, maybe a stronger belt, or an EDC support group. :)

Latest posts