flashlight suggestions for elderly person with arthritis

wattzup

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for suggestions on flashlights that are easy for an elderly person with arthritic hands to manipulate.

My mom is kind of stuck in her ways and mostly uses a 6v hand lantern style (non-LED) flashlight. While it may be easy for her to turn on it is heavy and bulky.

Any ideas or suggestions?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your mom's arthritis makes it difficult for her to open jar lids and medicine bottles, avoid flashlights which are activated by twisting the head or tail. Opt for a light with a pushbutton or slide switch instead.

tolkaze

Enlightened
G2L and install a mcclicky switch? with the softpress, it should be super easy to operate, and should be light enough and strong enough and bright enough to work with. Perhaps dye it in a super bright orange or something.

If she wants to stick with the lantern, maybe consider making it an LED version. If it is like the Dolphin torch, $20 LED dropin, 4D to lantern battery caddy, load it with some lithiums and you should have a relatively light weight, easy to operate and long lasting light (you will have to install the batteries back to front to get the right polarity at the dropin)

beerwax

Enlightened
this ones close to home. im thinking the clicky has to be near the head, not on the tail. and all small lights are out. 2 aa should be ok but nothing aaa,

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
A large light with a head switch such as the 2D or 3D Maglite LED would be a good choice, although replacing batteries might be a problem (use rechargeables to avoid leaky alkalines, especially if the batteries won't be changed often).

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Something with a sideswitch. I think tailswitch is more difficult.
Maglite, Fenix TK45, TK50. I guess there are other similar lights
The Zebralight mentioned above is smaller and lighter and a good choice if it's not to small for her.
Ask her what size is best for her and what type of switch she prefer
Or better: Get all the lights suggested here, let her pick the one she prefer and you keep the rest!

Edit: There are other lights that are cheaper and propably work just as well if it's only for occasional around the house use. Varta, Duracell, Energizer and other. Get something with 2 or 4 AA, put in some primary lithium batteries. That would last 10 years for my parents, then I could change the batteries for them.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
2C cell maglite
* UI is known by even non-flashaholics,
* not too big grip necessary (D-cell + atrithis = NO)
* good weight ratio (in difference to D-cell)

You might put a led inside, for runtime and brightness

beerwax

Enlightened
Edit: There are other lights that are cheaper and propably work just as well if it's only for occasional around the house use. Varta, Duracell, Energizer and other. .

anything with a cheap or slide switch could be difficult.

i hate to say it but - 2c maglite. simple universal easy to get batteries.

my mum has coped with a fenix aaa and loves it, but its going to be too difficult for here soon.

Last edited:

maskman

Newly Enlightened
+1 looks like a good light for the application to me. I haven investigated the UI, but it appears to be something that will get used.

I got this for my Mom with arthritis:

http://www.ovallight.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9

Very easy to hold and use. It also is great for an elderly person to use, as it casts light at your feet as well as forward for walking. I contacted the manufacturer and found that it's using a Rebel led forward and 5mm leds down. It even has a tail light.