Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM51

Flashaholic
It looked like black G2Ls. The blue tint was a dead give away.
The blue tint could have been because of DFN (day for night) photography. Night scenes are often shot in daylight, with the film under-exposed and using a blue filter to simulate night-time. At least, that used to be the case with celluloid - I don't if they still do the same nowadays with digital video.

meuge

Enlightened
In one of the episodes of the Mythbusters, I am pretty sure I saw a Fenix light (or a clone) being used (L1D probably).

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blue tint could have been because of DFN (day for night) photography. Night scenes are often shot in daylight, with the film under-exposed and using a blue filter to simulate night-time. At least, that used to be the case with celluloid - I don't if they still do the same nowadays with digital video.

There was a night guard with a (I presume) Streamlight Stinger, Incan, in the same scene. His light was normal white, not blue at all, while the smaller lights were definitely blue. I don't doubt for a second that they were, in fact, LED lights.

I know day-for-night; but usually, the day-for-night filters tint everything blue, not just the lights ;) .

That was not my question. My question was the brand -- and I thought they were G2Ls as well.

The scene in Bones was another good example of incan vs. LED -- Bones had the incan M6; Angel, I mean, Booth :) , had an LED weapon light (X200?).

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The scene in Bones was another good example of incan vs. LED -- Bones had the incan M6; Angel, I mean, Booth :) , had an LED weapon light (X200?).

I miss that show....

Still, it's nice that he wasn't type-cast despite playing the same character for several years.

I recall seeing 4D cell Maglites used by Angel in the city's sewers, every time he had to travel through the city during daylight hours.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Ghosthunters Steve used what looked to be a AAA Minimag and Jason used what may have been a Fenix L1* or it could have been an Inova T1 or a clone of one or the other, it was hard to see it. All you could see was the approx length of the light and that it operated by tail clicky.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
In one of the episodes of the Mythbusters, I am pretty sure I saw a Fenix light (or a clone) being used (L1D probably).

I know from their forum Jamie and Adam have bought and used Fenix L1Ps in the past, it may well have been one of these. Jamie is well known on the show for his general frugal nature so I doubt he has replaced them with L1Ds when the L1P worked very well.

BSBG

Enlightened
I'm currently watching "Bones" (season opening episode), and Bones has an M6 :) . Nice close-ups too ... of the light, of course.

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. I pointed it out to my wife and she told me to shut up and watch the show.

jbviau

Enlightened
The lead FBI investigator in Without a Trace was using a black G2 in this week's episode. He had it in his mouth most of the time. Best part: my wife identified the light!

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
In CSI Las Vegas they always use SF M4's even for close inspection and I always wonder how they can identify anything so close (like 1 foot) with that blinding light... guess that's why it's a TV show.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In CSI Las Vegas they always use SF M4's even for close inspection and I always wonder how they can identify anything so close (like 1 foot) with that blinding light... guess that's why it's a TV show.

Guess you have not seen the abomination that calls itself movie named "Alien Vs Predator". In that, they use a Maxa Beam the same way :eek:.

Size15's

Flashaholic
As is mentioned in the first part of this thread, it often takes a high output flashlight to show up on screen because sets are not usually dark - the darkness is made using a filter on the camera or grading in post production.

The Red Band trailer for AVP2 looks excellent - how AVP should have been IMHO.

Al

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course. But AVP overdid it massively. CSI, OTOH, usually shows a fairly believable flashlight use.

And I agree about AVP2.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
After the opening scene of the new CBS show, "Moonlight," the blonde woman is holding a can of Mace in one hand while pointing a flashlight at St. John's face.

A bit tough to tell, unless you know what to look for. Part of the rubber sleeve is visible, and combined with the look of the bezel; it's clearly a Streamlight Scorpion (Inca model).

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Streamlight Scorpion is used in quite a few tv/movie shows where stock SureFire alternatives don't have a clickie TailCap, or people want to bite the flashlight between their teeth. Examples: Richard Dean Anderson (SG1) prefers the clickie, Amanda Tapping had her special firearm outfitted with a proper WeaponLight. Samuel L Jackson bites a Scorpion in Snakes on a Plane where as Jodie Foster uses the SureFire momentary switch to flash signal for help in Panic Room.

Al

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
D'Oh!
I saw you had corrected it, and removed my correction, but not before you spotted my post...

Okay we can get back on with the thread now!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Okay we can get back on with the thread now!

Watching the show "Murder" on SpikeTV right now.
Give you one guess what the amateur investigators are using to look through the darkened, re-created home of a murder victim.

Streamlight Scorpions (inca version).

Don't particularly care for the show. I think it's rather Base. But thought it was an actual Police investigation. Then when I realized what it was, kept watching til I could I.D. the lights they were using.

Status
Not open for further replies.