Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

kreisler

Banned
dis de thread where we post appearances of flashlights in motion picture?
watching now Glee (yah. make fun of me. i am not gay. haha), S03E05 (was on, this week). scene in front of the gay club ("scandals"), around ~25'30''. i think the gate keeper is using a 1x AA flashlight, with clicky. might well be Sunawayman or something.

Great show.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Just watched magnum force, Clint Eastwood uses a rayovac sportsman and the bad cops have some really small dim incandescant things, surefire???
Expect this has been mentioned before but just incase.

Acid87

Enlightened
JacobJones said:
the bad cops have some really small dim incandescant things, surefire???

Surefire was the first dim Incan you thought about? Really?
Without seeing the film I would hazard a guess the dim incans would be m@glights far more generic.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Surefire was the first dim Incan you thought about? Really?
Without seeing the film I would hazard a guess the dim incans would be m@glights far more generic.

They looked too short and fat to be a maglite, so I guessed surefire. Now the reason why they couldn't possibly be maglites, Magnum force was released in 1973 and maglite wasn't introduced untill 1979.

Acid87

Enlightened
JacobJones said:
They looked too short and fat to be a maglite, so I guessed surefire. Now the reason why they couldn't possibly be maglites, Magnum force was released in 1973 and maglite wasn't introduced untill 1979.

I see. I've never seen the movie or the lights. Just when I think dim Incan I think mag lite.
I'm not a fanboy which is what my comment seems to convey. Although I love some Surefire Incan.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I see. I've never seen the movie or the lights. Just when I think dim Incan I think mag lite.
I'm not a fanboy which is what my comment seems to convey. Although I love some Surefire Incan.

I seem to have made a mistake, i just foud out that surefire was founded in 1979 aswell. I honestly have no idea what lights the bad cops could have had then

Acid87

Enlightened
JacobJones said:
I seem to have made a mistake, i just foud out that surefire was founded in 1979 aswell. I honestly have no idea what lights the bad cops could have had then

Are you sure it wasn't a candle?

ericjohn

Enlightened
I did not want to start a new thread, so I decided to post in this one, because it is closest to what I am discussing. For those of you who have'nt read my profile, I am a writer. I hope to succeed one day, but until then...

I am working on a short story that takes place in the late 1960's or early 1970's

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...eu03gu4azKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20111113062036AAirORp <---details here (you can even answer this question if you have a yahoo account).

My main character carries a flashlight in his glove box; there is a scene whereand uses it to light up a storm/fallout shelter where he and his new girlfriend loose their virginity. I want the flashlight to be a 3D cell, with a standard PR bulb (which is what they had in that time). I want it to be made of machined aluminum or high impact industrial plastic. I am thinking of Eveready 1351A/1359, Bright Star 1624, 2124, 1826 or 1626, Any 3 Cell Kel Lite, or do you know of any others that would be suitable. No brass flashlights, please. I look at my Bright Star 2224 for inspiration (I know it's weird but that's what I do when I write.) The reason why I don't use that model is because that model has only been around since 1985.

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/ <---you can see pictures of all model numbers mentioned in this post on that link.

I have used specific models of flashlights in my other stories, such as the Energizer Find Me, 3D Maglite, SureFire E2D, Mini Maglite and the 4D Maglite.

I would like CPFer's opinion on which light I should use.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ericjohn, start you own thread, so please no more posting by you or anyone else re your subject. I will give you the opportunity to cut and paste your post to your thread, then I will delete it from this thread. Thanks,

Bill

IRONMANq

Newly Enlightened
I found this in a documentary on german television.
It seems to be a special Lamp for illuminating old Paintings. Somebody have an idea what model this is?

pblanch

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight used by JJ Abrams in Star Trek. Make and model?

Seen any good movies, lately? ;)

Watched Priest last night. I had high expectations of it and enjoyed it but my eyes popped out when they were in the "hive" and they pulled out their torches. Couldn't figure them out but would love to know. I though maybe Sunwayman M60R but the angle of the head was all wrong.

Any clues anyone?

Maybe Surefire M6LT Guardian LED Flashlight??

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this in a documentary on german television.
It seems to be a special Lamp for illuminating old Paintings. Somebody have an idea what model this is?

That is a (German manufactured) Docter Aspherilux midi LED. Basically a light with a completely uniform beam - like a mini spotlight. Probably perfect for close examination of paintings due to its artifact free beam pattern.

Basically it has a light chamber beyond the led which collimates the available light before spraying it out the front through their special patented glass aspherical lens. I used to have one of the incandescant ones they still sell today. But the led version is way pricey over here in the uk (about £165 or $260!!) so I don't think I'll invest. Definitely a specialized tool.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just watched magnum force, Clint Eastwood uses a rayovac sportsman and the bad cops have some really small dim incandescant things, surefire???
Expect this has been mentioned before but just incase.

Strangely had this film on my phone just yesterday! Watching it on a bigger screen - the lights the cops use on the derelict ship? Never really get a good glimpse of them, but they seem to be 2D or 3C celled, chrome incandescants. I know the scenes are graded dark for dramatic effect, but they look pretty powerful by the standards of the day. You can clearly see the throwy beam illuminating the walls and ceilings ~ great lens flare in some shots - stretched by the anamorphic lens ~ tiny hot spot though, not much spill. The one David Soul uses looks like it might have a smaller head than the other one, but again it is difficult to see.

Basically, any number of lights of the period may have been used. We probably will never know. But the light Clint uses is clearly a Rayovac Sportsman or Woodsman or a cheap knock off (unlikely).

shoot6x7

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone watch Sanctuary last night ? The group where on an ailing ice-breaker at night.

They all had some pretty cool flashlights, may have been Wolf-eyes Boxer 10W, but not sure. Anyone confirm ?

aGeqvk

aGeqwX

Last edited: