Flashlights on a Plane (which to bring?)

mega_lumens

Enlightened
You should worry, somewhat.

An excerpt from an article July 2004

"Lithium batteries may represent the ultimate hazardous material, especially when shipped in bulk as cargo, with the potential to breach all defenses should they catch fire. That is the principal finding of a June report of lithium battery fire tests conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Technical Center at Atlantic City, N.J."

Found this info.

http://www.ultralifebatteries.com/d...ithium_Battery_Transportation_Regulations.pdf

http://www.icao.int/anb/Fls/dangerousgoods/ICAOLithiumBatteryGuidance/ICAOLithiumBatteryGuidance.pdf

I guess less than 1g Lithium batteries are not a problem.

Lithium burns like crazy - I remember from young reckless days in school chem lab. Maybe less than 1g Lithium batteries are not a problem

Can someone explain what these links are saying in plain English, so many confusing definitions. If I bring a a box of SF cr123s with carry on will TSA shoot me? Are rechargeables like 17670s, 18650s OK to bring with you? If you bring them in you luggage and not carry on will it be cleared?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This is going counter to what many CPFers will say, but I recommend not risking your Surefires. Quite a few CPFers have taken their Surefires on planes with no issues. But you never know when you'll encounter that one Screener who decides he likes your light, and then claims it's against the rules for you to fly with it.

Intelligent folks know you can't argue with a Screener. Your only real options are to either let him steal, oh oops; sorry, I meant "confiscate" your light so you can catch your plane. Or don't get on the plane, and keep your light.

The Inova X5 and a 2AA Mini-Maglite are easy to replace, if confiscated. Leave your Surefires at home, unless you honestly wouldn't mind if one of them was confiscated.

I have a pretty good Surefire collection. My G2 and E1E are rarely used. I might risk one of those being confiscated.

You can buy Surefire 6P and G2 models at Lowes, so one of those would be easy to replace as well as an X5 or 2AA Mini-mag. Yeah, I wouldn't risk anything that isn't easy to replace simply by visiting a big-name B&M shop.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going counter to what many CPFers will say, but I recommend not risking your Surefires. Quite a few CPFers have taken their Surefires on planes with no issues. But you never know when you'll encounter that one Screener who decides he likes your light, and then claims it's against the rules for you to fly with it. I quite agree sir!

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from LA, 1- Ti Surefire Titan , 2- two packs CR2 batteries, 1-surefire BACKUP, and a backpack full of apple electriconic wires, chargers . TOMTOM, macbook laptop ........ they stopped me for my beltbuckle????
Third trip this year and never a worry about batteries or flashlight!

go for it!!

The last four years in a row I've gone to SHOT Show with a case full of 20-30 lights. Yes, 20-30. And the only question I ever got from the TSA was "how come you have so many flashlights?" Never had any problems whatsoever.

jchoo

Enlightened
I've flown domestically with my E2DL with no problems. I even had a screener in orange county CA pick it up and shine it against the (DUH) stainless steel counter and blind himself with it, just to sheepishly put it back down in my bin with my keys, etc.

On the other hand, I'm flying to London Gatwick next month, and I'll probably check it and just carry my D10, Twisty, or Bitz.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Went through Sea-Tac today w/my Quark AA^2. They didn't look twice at it...I'd be surprised if they looked once at it as the two TSA employees managing the line I went through were having a lively conversation when it went through the x-ray. :grin2:

AMRaider

Enlightened
Whatever you bring, I would bring something light weight and compact. After so many years of traveling with too much stuff, I always try to pack as light as possible.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I travel 6-10 times a month by air, and had never been asked to see the flashlight in my carry on until recently, so thought I'd share.

The trip was from Montreal to JFK. IIRC the security check in Canada for flights to the US is done by US officials.

Being stopped at the x-ray is routine for me as I carry a lot of photographic equipment, a PC, PDA, GPS, misc chargers and gadgets, so I thought they wanted to do the wipe down for explosives, but the officer went straight for the tiny Russtang Ti bodied EX10 in the side pocket of the daypack.

Before opening the pocket, he said 'There's something dense here, probably a flashlight' in which he was absolutely correct. (I had the urge to ask if he was a flashaholic but thought better of it).
He took a look at it, didn't turn it on, put it back in and thanked me for my patience.

I've had varying degrees of competence from the T**, but will say that at least some of them are highly professional and polite.

Some of my friends carry a camera monopod strapped to their carry on roller cases but get through security with no problem. These monopods are fatter and heavier than a 6D Mag. They extend to about 6 feet and can certainly be used to take a swing or poke something. I check mine to avoid any sort of trouble.

OTOH, while his monopod was OK, I've heard of one of them having a tiny 10 inch souvenir baseball bat confiscated because they fall under the category of 'bat'.

Some of the people who man security points will just do what they are told, some are more human and get the bigger picture.

My previous EDC was an Arc4 and that was never considered dangerous. I'd say it's pretty safe to carry single celled lights but stay away from the pointy stuff. You never know when you'll come across someone in a bad mood or just wants to flaunt their 'authority'.

Oh yeah, good luck if you move to the next job :thumbsup:

NE450No2

Enlightened
I always carry several lights when I travel, and always in my carry on.

On one trip to Zimbabwe, through South Africa I carried 12 Petzl headlights [2 for me 10 for gifts to others], Sure Fire A2, E1e, M6, and a BUNCH of extra batteries [123's and AAA's] and extra bulbs.

ALL in my carry on. NO problems.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just flew international from SFO to Central America yesterday clearing check points in SFO and LAX with my HDS U60 in my pocket and two A2 aviators and a wolfeyes Raider in my carryon without a hitch of trouble from TSA. Just to update.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last year when I was going through airport security ... as my check-in Maxpedition Fatboy bag was going through the "luggage car wash",
one of the security guard said he had to go through my bag. I speculate it was because they spotted on the xray my homemade 2xAA to mini USB battery charger contained in a mini Altoid tin can connecting to an HP GPS/PDA device (I guess it does look suspiciously dangerous :thinking: :devil:).

Anyway, after determining that my charger and PDA were safe, the security guard saw my Nitecore Defender and asked, "What is this?" :shrug: I knew it was no time to be sarcastic, so I just replied, "it's a flashlight sir". After examining it for a few seconds, he found the tailcap switch. He pressed the tailcap and no light came out (I untwisted the tailcap for lockout purposes). He said, "your light doesn't work". I told him about the lockout function and after further examination, he twisted the tailcap while staring at the LED. Before I could say anything, he was like, "owww ... wow" and dropped my light on the metal table. Needless to say, the agonizing yelp from the security guard, the loud klunk from my light hitting the table, many people were looking at our direction. I was pretty embarrassed by that scene. I'm glad they didn't confiscate any of my stuff.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Anyway, after determining that my charger and PDA were safe, the security guard saw my Nitecore Defender and asked, "What is this?" :shrug: I knew it was no time to be sarcastic, so I just replied, "it's a flashlight sir". After examining it for a few seconds, he found the tailcap switch. He pressed the tailcap and no light came out (I untwisted the tailcap for lockout purposes). He said, "your light doesn't work". I told him about the lockout function and after further examination, he twisted the tailcap while staring at the LED. Before I could say anything, he was like, "owww ... wow" and dropped my light on the metal table. Needless to say, the agonizing yelp from the security guard, the loud klunk from my light hitting the table, many people were looking at our direction. I was pretty embarrassed by that scene. I'm glad they didn't confiscate any of my stuff.

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

He should be the one embarassed, lol. After all, he was the one dumb enough to look into a flashlight!

~Brian