Flupic malfunctions - please log here

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
I've got an Exolion that's stuck in tactical. I get strobe-max-low-high-beacon-off-set strobe-off-off-off...any ideas? I've tried cleaning all contacts, grounding traces as mentioned earlier and fresh batteries with no change.

~Chip
p.s. The board says rev. 4

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a reply from Kevin (Goldserve) quite promptly. Here is a quote of his answer to the question "why do malfunctions occur in the Flupic":

"The nvram setting is corrupted and happens when power is lost and while the chip is writing to the settings for maybe 10s of milliseconds. Rare occurance that you must have had luck hitting. It happens more when your battery connection of twistys is not a definitely on or off position, but in a position where power gets applied for milliseconds (flickering connection)."

now all we need to figure out is how to prevent the occurrences...

Mr. Hubert

Newly Enlightened
The FluPic in my Draco malfunctioned after I lost the silicone o-ring. After reading Kevin's response to what is thought to cause the FluPic malfunction, I'd say this explains what caused the problem in my Draco. Without the silicone o-ring, there is no resistance to hold the head tightly in the on or off position, therefore it will flicker sometimes, on and off, quickly in succession, as the head contact just barely rubs against the top of the battery.

If repeated short, intermittent bursts of power are what cause the FluPic to malfunction, then I think the solution to the problem is to ensure that the flashlight is DEFINITELY in either the on or the off position, and not anywhere close to the on position when not in use.

This means that for lights with screw head caps, that if it uses some kind of o-ring to keep resistance on the threads, make sure that the o-ring is always both intact, and in place. In addition, one should probably unscrew the cap at least half a turn beyond what is necessary to turn the light "off," just to absolutely ensure that the head contact won't inadvertently touch the top of the battery (battery contact), just slightly (enough to turn the light on for a second but not keep it on), i.e. as might happen if it were rustling around in your pocket. Just my theory.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it needs simply to be reprogrammed - probably a PIC programmer is needed but really this is somewhat of a weak point and maybe goldserve could reprogram it. Not that they have unlimited warranty but it seems like it might be easy enough for him to do.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Click on that link I gave in post #18 and try out the different UI's and see if that helps. Goldserve posted that a few years ago.

Bill