Foursevens Preon P0

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've got a MillerMods Arc-AA that had GITD paint applied to the whole reflector area and it will last for hours, in addition to being bright enough to find the bathroom in the dark. Had it for a couple years already, so there has definitely been some very high quality GITD paint available for some time now.

Streamer

Enlightened
What's with the GITD complaints. I charged mine up and put it in pitch black dark room, went back three hours later and sure enough it was still glowing after it took me a minute or two to get my vision adjusted. I swear, some people would ***** if you hung em with a new rope. I'll keep checking on it and advise.....geeshhhhhh

Samy

Enlightened
What's with the GITD complaints. I charged mine up and put it in pitch black dark room, went back three hours later and sure enough it was still glowing after it took me a minute or two to get my vision adjusted. I swear, some people would ***** if you hung em with a new rope. I'll keep checking on it and advise.....geeshhhhhh

It takes 20 minutes at least to get your eyes fully adapted to the dark. after 20 minutes in the dark I bet it looks like a searchlight ;)

Cheers

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say, on my two examples, the GITD does not add a green tint to the beam. At all.
I have to agree, the only portion that you can even detect this is the outer edges of the spill. Even that is hard without whitewall hunting :). I have my second sample, just arrived today. I am going to document it from opening to use, and let the pictures speak for themselves.
GL

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Obviously, you're experiences with this are different than those of some others, myself included. The activation of the GITD on my (2) lights last only minutes, not hours as you have reported. I have and will continue to b*tch whenever I feel something is not working as it should or when it acts as a gimmick to sell a product as opposed to adding to its usefulness. As far as I'm concerned, the GITD addition, as implemented on the P0, is nothing more than a gimmick. It adds no usable function to the light and actually hinders the light in achieving a properly tinted beam.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was mildly interested in the Preon P0 when I first heard about it from the SHOT Show coverage, but the more I hear about it, the less interested I am. I've thrown $20-25 away on lights in the past I took a chance on, but I don't think I'll take a chance this time. If they would lose the magnet (I've had issues with magnets on keychain items inthe past), the GITD feature, which I care nothing about, and make the low setting 1 or 2 lumens instead of .25, then I'd pony up the $20-25 without too much hesitation. Oh well, maybe they'll come out with revision 2.0 next year?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was mildly interested in the Preon P0 when I first heard about it from the SHOT Show coverage, but the more I hear about it, the less interested I am. I've thrown $20-25 away on lights in the past I took a chance on, but I don't think I'll take a chance this time. If they would lose the magnet (I've had issues with magnets on keychain items inthe past), the GITD feature, which I care nothing about, and make the low setting 1 or 2 lumens instead of .25, then I'd pony up the $20-25 without too much hesitation. Oh well, maybe they'll come out with revision 2.0 next year?

I wish for the same things like you. I would even pay more for a better version. They have the size, look, and beam profile down. They just need to improve on the internals.

Streamer

Enlightened
GITD on the P0 has been going on now for 4 and 1/2 hours. No problem seeing it. I bet one can see it all nite long with dark adapted eyes. I'll check it when I get up in the "wee" hours.

Maybe some got bad samples.. those that complain. Yes, some have bad Karma with this little torch.

Regular flashlights have GITD boot switches. So, with the P0, it's not like it's something new. It works just like the gitd boots do. Not a gimmick. Just a substitutiion at the other end.

If I was not satisfied I'd VOCALIZE it..then send it back. I'm off work until March and having a blast checkin this little guy out past couple days. Sorry for you that got the Lemons.

Eneloops don't work in mine. Just wanted to ***** about something.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my p0 on a timer to see how long the GITD would last and im at 45 minutes and its still glowing pritty good. I dont how what they used but it lasts longer then any of my flashlights with GITD boot covers :)

rdrfronty

Enlightened
This little light does have a very broad flood. It has appx. a 1-2 ratio on the beam pattern. Meaning at about 1ft from a wall, it light up appx a 2ft circle(with no spot really). I tried a little experiment by placing it on the floor of a 16ft x 16ft room with 8ft ceiling and pointing it straight up. This is a very dark room with all windows blacked out. On the low .25L setting i could see very easy to navigate around the room. On the 25L high setting, I could easily read a book while standing in the corner facing away from the light. It lit up every square foot of the room good enough to read. I would prefer brighter light to read with, but for reading a map or whatever when camping, it would be easy with just it's ambient light. Now I'm sure some of this light got reflected off my white ceiling & walls, but it still an interesting test I thought.
Also I'm very pleased with my GITD ring. I haven't tested it for time, but in it does hold at least a dim glow for a pretty long period of time. And no magnet issue here either. Stuck on all kinds of things at work to day. Magnet stayed in place and was plenty strong enough to hold the light in place no matter which way it was hanging.
Only problem I had is that to non flashlight minded people, they are very unimpressed by the floody beam. Everybody expected a nice spot. Oh, well I know the flood is really more practical. Would be nice if 4sevens would maybe offer both a floody and slight spotty version in the future. I would own both versions for sure.

revolver

Newly Enlightened
Is everyone else's GITD grainy like mine? I can see a lot of variation amongst the individual particles when examined closely... It also does not seem to glow very long, even with dark adjusted eyes.

ama230

Enlightened
I had just wanted to state some facts before I state the real purpose of this post...

I have had the P0 from 4Sevens for 1 week and love it.

The first thing I did as most do is clean, lube and put a fresh eneloop.

Fist Occurrence:

When I first open the package and tested out the light it would go to low with the first turn. Then the second turn would look like a little brighter than low, then go to high. This being just like a soft start with a digital IC.

First Solution:

I had cleaned, cleaned and cleaned!!!!! Then it seemed to go away for the rest of the week. So I had written off the problem, no biggie!

Second Occurrence:

Today when I changed my eneloop it had started acting weird. Then I got to the 10th, 11th or 12th page on this thread and seen that there is one other with the same issue that was here to stay.

Second and final solution:

I had taken the foam ring out of the head and started to look around and seen that the packaging on one of the six leg IC's is chipped off at the corner, thus exposing more of the leg. This is what was making intermittent contact with that larger pad of the positive end of the eneloop as stated earlier.

As having good eye sight i see that the leg of the IC had lifted off the pad so slightly that it was making intermittent contact with the PCB. So I soldered that leg on with my solderpro butane iron, which comes with a rather flat blunt tip. So taking my time and prepping the iron to have a nice light fresh coat of solder. Then soldered the leg. Then proceeded to the positive contact area of the board and it is a cap that is soldered to flat positive contact on the PCB, so extra precaution is needed as stated earlier by another poster. So please use surface prep pen or liquid flux as this is going to need very high heat for a short period of time as it will lift off if not careful and its not going to be fun to put it back with such little room, as this is a tiny light! : P

I am very happy with the light, before and after. Great job 47's and glad I own a second as I always grab a spare when I find something awesome.

I like, scratch that, I love fixing things as its my knack being an EE. Its fixable and the only fix that 47's could do is just raise the contact point 1mm and BAM!

The only thing I would like to request to make this light awesome is to make a optional pill that came with "X" emitter(Preferably an XML T6/U2). Again its just a request and would like to have the light be modular to an extent like ARC does.

Thanks,
Eric Ramirez

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
my p0 is also grainy but i just finished up my timer test and i called it at a bout 2 hours it was still glowing but not much at all past 2 hours. very happy with it

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
After a few nights with my P0, I'm finding the beam a bit too floody for my liking. I find the beam pattern of the E05 just about perfect. I just wish it had a low mode. It seems a lot of the P0's light gets wasted lighting up everything except what I need to see, and what I need to see ends up dimly lit. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I prefer to have a hotspot that transitions to spill.

As for my GITD, it appears grainy and uneven in its application, and does not last long. It glows quite bright for a couple minutes, then fades to almost nothing. I woke up in the middle of the night last night, and it was just about invisible after a few hours of total darkness.

Streamer

Enlightened
The P0's GITD is still very visible. Guys, I have had this thing in the darkroom for 6 and 1/2 hours. I enter the darkroom in total darkness. Wait less than a minute. Open a cupboard where the P0 is and can reach in and pick it up because it still has visible green glow. Remember, this is in a totaly darkroom. I think that is more than enough glow to be visible at any time you should wake up in the middle of the night. It's still in there. Radiating in perpetual motion..:sssh: people won't believe it

Toast95135

Newly Enlightened
I finally got my Preon P0 in the mail today and I really like it so far. I love the floody moon beam :). Quality looks good and feels nice in the hand despite not having any knurling. The threads are gritty though and there is some yellow discoloration on the rim of the beam but that's not a deal breaker for me. The GITD reflector I could take or leave to be honest. It doesn't glow brightly for more then a few minutes but it seems to keep going for a while. The magnet base has stayed in place (for now) and it seems like it would come in handy at work. When Im on a show it's dark and we have to set up a lot of electronics and wires, it'll be nice to be able to clip it to the racks and have a nice smooth beam to work under.

I'm glad to see a nice flat 3 hour runtime in high with alkalines, why David only posted 1.5 hrs is beyond me. The 1/4 lumen is really nice too IMO, perfect for moving through a dark house. So far I like it a lot but I don't think it will be kicking my NW Preon Revo SS off my keychain.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I would guess there might be some variation from light to light in the intensity of the GITD.