from where to buy Nite-Ize IQ switch

greenLED

Flashaholic
Has anybody else had issues with the threading on these? MattK replaced one of the ones I bought because the threads weren't working properly. I got the replacement yesterday, and this one doesn't work either! There's a gap of about 1/8 - 1/16" between the top of the battery tube and the o-ring (size of the gap depends on how tight I want to tighten the switch).

I tried it in several different minimags, and in all my Arc LS tails... same results. The other switch I have threads perfectly onto all of those. It's this second one that seems messy, even after getting a replacement. :help:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
bruner said:
MattK,

You are correct and I think I found the perfect combination...

Not to hijack the thread, but if you would be interested in a CR2 LED light that would work with the IQ switch, check this thread out.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127492

All it would need is an adapter ring.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

Here's the problem I perceive - that's only .5W/12 lumens to start - a 1W TLE-5/IQ combo would output a lot more light even with the output drop from the switch and it's all plug and play. If we work with the 20% output drop previously posted that's still 40 lumens from the TLE-5/IQ combo in the AA minimag.

Ooops - so I did some experimenting while typing this post and I just cob jobbed an IQ with a 3W L3 Iota running on 1CR123A and after a flash of light I do believe I just killed the IQ. :p

bruner

Enlightened
MattK,

I appreciate your response and I'm sorry for your loss :(.

It's all for the sake of science though :)

In your response, I'm a bit lost... What is a "TLE-5"?

Concerning the CR2 light from advancedmart, to me (and this is strictly empirical study), I don't notice a difference in output strength using or not using the IQ switch.

I'm really happy with how it worked. There was a clear difference in light levels as I progressed through the differenct settings of the IQ switch.

I love that little light from advancedmart too... In my case, it's a poor man's CR2 Ion, just a bit larger and a heck of a lot cheaper (no offense to the CR2 Ion, I truely am a fan).

Thanks,
Dan

greenLED

Flashaholic
bruner said:
In your response, I'm a bit lost... What is a "TLE-5"?
Bruner, the TLE-5 is Terra-Lux's Mini-Star 2 Luxeon drop-in.

As a followup to my previous problems with the IQ switch not threading properly. There is a fingernail gap between the bottom of the switch and the top of the battery tube in my "good" switch (see center pic below, on the Arc tail, but notice there's no gap on the first pic -right side- I posted). However, the one switch with the bad threads has a 2mm gap! Here are some pics that I took last night:

My 2 switches, on Arc LS 2AA tail and minimag (bad on left, good on right):

IQ switches and minimag tailcap on LS clickie tail (bad IQ, good IQ, minimag cap):

I had the same gap while trying to put the IQ switch onto minimags, but I didn't take pics of that. :stupid:

I played "LEGO" with a couple of different krolls, minimag tails and the IQ switches. It's definitely an issue with the threading. Whether it's an issue with the Arc threading, the Mag threading, or the IQ switches threading is still unclear to me, as I don't have the tools to measure thread gauge. I'm still puzzled that other people haven't reported this.

Anyway, I actually found a couple of minimags (I have "a few" :p) where the "bad" IQ switch fits more or less OK (the gap is still larger than the "fingernail gap" shown in the pics, but at least the o-ring is covered). I think I'll keep the second switch for now.

If MattK could alert the manufacturer of this issue, though, it'd be great - I think their tolerances may be waaay off. It'd suck for a regular customer to buy one of these only to discover the switch doesn't thread into their minimag properly.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan - I don't see the output difference either but a few people in this thread have said they detect one.

LuxLuthor - soon I'll be announcing the brightest AA MM upgrade evAr here on CPF - and for a lot less money than the Nexgen 750. :)

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
Whether it's an issue with the Arc threading, the Mag threading, or the IQ switches threading is still unclear to me, as I don't have the tools to measure thread gauge. I'm still puzzled that other people haven't reported this.

I bought two IQ's, and one of them has a similar thread problem that you discovered! :thumbsdow
Very frustrating, but at least one of them fit.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
LuxLuthor - soon I'll be announcing the brightest AA MM upgrade evAr here on CPF - and for a lot less money than the Nexgen 750. :)

Sounds interesting but will it work with the IQ switch? :eek:

Last edited:

bruner

Enlightened
greenLED said:
My 2 switches, on Arc LS 2AA tail and minimag (bad on left, good on right):
greenLED said:
http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=niiqonarcandmmbodswv7.jpg
niiqonarcandmmbodswv7.th.jpg
http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=niiqonarcandmmbodswv7.jpg

I had the same thing happen, but I was desparate and took desparate measures.

Don't attempt this if you are concerned about damaging your miniMAG or your IQ switch...

I "force threaded" it. Meaning, I turned in the IQ switch as far as I could with normal torque, then forced it a bit further. I then unscrewed the IQ switch, and cleaned the treads of any debre. I repeated this over and over and eventually, the IQ switch seated properly onto the miniMAG.

Towards the end I used a bit of silicone grease, and looking back, it might have been a better idea to use the grease from the start.

Anyow, my IQ switch fits perfectly now with no damage to either item.

Do this at your own risk!

Thanks,

Dan

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight - Shoot me an email with your order number and I'll send the customs declaration number- you local postal or customs office can often use that to locate the package.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep us posted Matt! I'm still enjoying mine in my MMMMag running the RYOJ 1W. Still working perfectly and nice bright, white light. In fact even with the IQ switch, it's as bright as my Fenix L2P!

By the way, I bought both of my switches from Matt, and neither one has greenLED's problem. They both screw down completely flush and level.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
flashlight - Shoot me an email with your order number and I'll send the customs declaration number- you local postal or customs office can often use that to locate the package.

Email sent but not sure if it'll do any good with the tracking though. :sigh:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who it's not obvious to, the IQ switch does not work with single 1.5V cell flashlights. I tried it in my 1AA maglite with minipro and it did not turn on.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who it's not obvious to, the IQ switch does not work with single 1.5V cell flashlights. I tried it in my 1AA maglite with minipro and it did not turn on.