from where to buy Nite-Ize IQ switch

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi said:
so does any have a picture of one ?

will one work on a arc ls

I tried it with the L2P and while it didn't it fit of course, I was able to connect it and the inductor got very hot very fast. I don't recommended it for any more current draw than what MiniMag will draw with a standard bulb.

iq_in_use.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
I tried it with the L2P and while it didn't it fit of course, I was able to connect it and the inductor got very hot very fast. I don't recommended it for any more current draw than what MiniMag will draw with a standard bulb.

Now THIS is the kind of evaluation I want to see. :thumbsup: 2.5 ohms is a huge DCR. Take about 800mA through 2.5 ohms and you get 1.6W!!!! Just through the inductor. Form factor is too small to accept any inductor with low DCR. I don't think there's much mod potential to this switch to improve it. Great idea but poor execution.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have also mentioned that the L2P was dimmed very considerably with IQ switch on the high setting compared to the stock switch.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
So . . . if the high DC resistance makes it unusables for sammies, and/or Peak Carribean, etc. . .

It still may be a great match for the Nite-Ize 5mm cluster (of course), the SMJLED, or other low current long life options. I wonder if the Terralux TLE-5 is going to require too much current as well. Of course some of the voltage drop can be compensated for by the boost circuit, but it will have a corresponding loss of efficiency.

I'll be eager to see the results for more testing. Thanks for the info MillerMods!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
jburgett said:
Of course some of the voltage drop can be compensated for by the boost circuit, but it will have a corresponding loss of efficiency...

I'll be eager to see the results for more testing. Thanks for the info MillerMods!

The boost circuit can only do so much. 2.5ohms with just 500mA going through it is going to drop 1.25V. That will starve the converter and put it into "moon mode". I don't think this was designed for applications that we we're hoping to use it for. Those cheap nite-ize 3x5mmLED drop in may be the target application. They couldn't draw more than a couple hundred mA of current.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
gl22man,

Thanks for the review, and others who had gotten their switch and written their comments about the conductor. I am no EE person, but from the feedback here, I got the vibe that it doesn't sound like it is going to be a total 'kroll' or Terralux clickie TCS-1 replacement, since it does either reduce the output too much or simply put a lux modded minimag directly into moon mode.

I think I am going to get one and verify it anyway, but I'd rather disappointed if the output from a sammie is indeed reduce almost half or significantly by this new switch...I had been waiting for this for sooo long and had such high expectation from it. :mecry:

Though it might work mighty well with a 3 5mm cluster mod or SMJ, even a user might gain considerably longer runtime/usage from the light(but not continuously, remember the 14 auto-off timer...), with all due respect, what is one going to do with 50% or 25% output of an already low output light?(esp when it is not going to be a long runtime light with the timer) :candle:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, that's not good news. Should have waited until they were tested further. If they have this much resistance and reduce the output as much as people are reporting, they're worthless to me. Might be moddable though. Thanks for thr honest reports.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:awman: not good... It's alright, we'll find other applications... (hotwire multiple mode lights, anyone) :devil: (I know, I know, underdriving the bulb, shorter life, yada-yada-yada, but cool nevertheless.)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be real good for direct drive off a LiIon. The resistance would keep LED from frying up.

Cut down DD Lux Mini Mag on 1AA LiIon anyone?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, with all the bad news, this thread sure sank to the abyss!

I wanted to report that these I.Q. switches work very well with 1W sandwiches. I tried one in a MMMMag running a RYOJ 1W sammie and 14270 3.7V cell and it works perfect. No dimming, and all features work great. Even reduces the length and now the MMMMag has tail standing. I really like it!

I tried it with a Lux 3 sammie and there's too much resistance with the resulting dimming as noted. So if you're running 1W sammies, these should work fine.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Gene said:
I wanted to report that these I.Q. switches work very well with 1W sandwiches. I tried one in a MMMMag running a RYOJ 1W sammie and 14270 3.7V cell and it works perfect. No dimming, and all features work great. Even reduces the length and now the MMMMag has tail standing. I really like it!

I tried it with a Lux 3 sammie and there's too much resistance with the resulting dimming as noted. So if you're running 1W sammies, these should work fine.
Do those sammies have the same converter boards? I ask because gl22man tried a NexGen with T-bin Lux and it didn't work. I tend to think R & S-bins are matched with MM-type sammie boards... so we're (maybe?) comparing apples and prunes here.

:thinking: It could be a function of the converter, not so much the Lux...

In any case, this is excellent news (for me, at least).

BTW, don't order via UPS... takes too long and it's more expensive... :green: ...two more days for delivery...

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Do those sammies have the same converter boards? I ask because gl22man tried a NexGen with T-bin Lux and it didn't work. I tend to think R & S-bins are matched with MM-type sammie boards... so we're (maybe?) comparing apples and prunes here.

:thinking: It could be a function of the converter, not so much the Lux...

In any case, this is excellent news (for me, at least).

BTW, don't order via UPS... takes too long and it's more expensive... :green: ...two more days for delivery...

Yup - I've been testing them with the TerraLUX TLE-5 and they seem to work great. IMO there's no noticeable difference in output.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED,
Boy, good question and I wish I could give you a definitive answer. The lux 3 sammie I tried it with is not a Sandwich Shoppe item and was built by an unknown CPFer. It came in a HA3 MMMag I received in a deal about a year ago. The previous owner had no info on it. It is marked "lux 3" and is nice and white but using it with the I.Q. Switch dims it by at least 50%.

By the way, thanks much Matt for the great service!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Gene, what are the markings on the bottom of the converter?

Sounds like we're onto something (good) here.

Can't wait 'till mine arrive...

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene said:
Man, with all the bad news, this thread sure sank to the abyss!

With a convertor and a Li-ion (3.7V) cell, you won't necessarily notice a difference in brightness because the switching regulator will compensate. But you will notice a substantial drop in runtime because power is being wasted.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet if you can put an ammeter in line with the IQ switch with a constant current converter, you will notice a substantial increase in current draw compared with no IQ switch. As MillerMods pointed out, you will see big drop in runtime.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received some IQ switches today, and they do work as advertised in my stock Arc LS, but with the aforementioned dimming compared to the stock Kroll.

This is a major bummer IMO, but it sounds like some have experienced less dimming (with 1 watt LEDs?). Hopefully we can all pool our testing and come up with a list of lights/mods that the IQ works best with.