Fun with new digicam....

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Collection!

This little gizmo just keeps on surprising me with its features! I`ve been playing with the variable exposure timings and thought I`d push it to the max, see what it`ll do.

This is a 4 watt solar rechargeable lantern. It isn`t very bright, but a 30 second exposure makes it look like a security floodlight!

lanternnightextendedexposure.jpg

And this is what the rest of the garden looks like - 1024x768 sized for better effect. It looks pretty much black out there to my admittedly non dark-adapted eyes, but even with full on scotopic night vision the light pollution round here is never this bright out there.....

Extended Exposure Picture 2

I noticed I still had it set to ISO 100, so turned it right up to 11, aka ISO 800 and, well, it just looks like day out there! Grainy of course but that`s to be expected. The flourescent lantern is at the bottom in the middle and over to the left is a white LED solar lantern. Those are really just marker lights but this picture makes it look pretty damn bright.....

Extended Exposure Picture 3

I know similar effects can be achieved with traditional film in the right cameras, but it`s not something I`ve ever had experience of. I just find it remarkable that I can take photos out there in the garden that are as bright as day! To a lesser extent I could probably take reasonable shots of flashlights and things in here with only minimal background lighting, might give that a try later on. The only downside is the time it takes, and of course the camera and subjects must remain totally still too. Notice the branches of the Euculyptus tree are blurred due to swaying in the breeze.

Sure is fun!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris, In my opinion if size/shape is not an issue, you got the best 5 meg pro-consumer digicam available. The speed of the lens is outstanding, especially at full zoom where it barely loses a stop. A few hard core digicam users would pass on this camera because it doesn't have the ability to save in RAW format but for many this isn't an issue. I'm going to take a hard look at the Sony DSC-V1 which has a lot of the same features in a much smaller package myself when it comes out, hopefully this month. Congratulations, you'll have a lot of fun.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any chance you would mind sharing where you got it? I have the 707 and was looking at swapping it out for a 717 (it looks like my digital camera hobby could take a turn for the direction of my flashlight "obsession") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

K A

Enlightened

Those pictures are awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I dont have a garden or anything interesting to take pictures of around here so cant play with my camera to that extent. The only interesting picture I have so far is this one I took at the local Ren Faire last week. Only reason its in focus is because the gentleman held it in place for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

These pictures put my Nikon CP-775 to shame!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I don't have a garden or woods or anything else interesting either, so I either get pictures of tour ships or I go up to the college campus and take pictures of trees and dragonflies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
(that is, when I'm not taking pictures of LEDs, old used insulators, old ghetto blasters, toliets, wall urinators, and flashlights).

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

<font color="800080">Any chance you would mind sharing where you got it?</font>

It came from techtronics.co.uk, a rather inefficient UK based supplier who took their time getting it to me, but the price was good and service was otherwise OK.

You`d be better off going to the places reccomended by the DPreview folks though. The UK is not known for being a cheap place to buy stuff - you`ll end up paying about twice as much at the very least, not including shipping
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif