G2L or Tk10?

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
Take it from another Aussie flashaholic.

You could get a Surefire G2L landed in Australia from a great dealer in the good old USA for about US$75 (get 12 - 24 batteries at the same time for about $2 each (compared to $6 - $10 each in Oz).

BTW that's not off ebay, which might be cheaper but more hassle ??

With the current exchange rate, that's under 80 Aussie $$$$

Makes them evenly priced for you, I'd say.

Regards
Dave

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
rmorgan84, if you have doubts about the quality and construction of the Tk10 you should search for the thread on this board which shows how a bullet could not penetrate a Tk10.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I have found that battery junction has the 6P for only $85, and they give you 8 batteries. I do like the idea of being able to upgrade the light. What I am not as keen on is the light not being regulated, is this done in the replaceable head or in the tail cap?

bigfoot

Enlightened
The SureFire 6PL uses the P60L LED module and its regulation is in the module itself.

You won't be disappointed with the 6PL. A great light.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
I am about to buy either a Surefire G2L or Fenix TK10 and just want to ask what others think about these two. In Australia the G2L is $122 and the TK10 is $78. The TK10 is brighter and has longer battery life and yet I like the simplicity in design of the G2L. What reasons are there to buy the Surefire over the Fenix?

Whatever you do, just don't buy Surefire's or Fenix lights from Aussie dealers as you can buy them (Surefire's especially, and the Fenix price you have is standard) alot cheaper from US dealers or Ebay.

I have purchased most of my Surefires from a trusted Ebay seller with no problems and great prices.

You wont be dissapointed with either light.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking I will get the Surefire 6PL. Even though the battery life is not as good as the Fenix and it is not as bright I think I like its simplicity more. It can also take replacement LED modules. Is the Battery junction a good store to buy them from?

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone here know how the Surefire 6PL would look in comparison with my 4 D cell Maglite? I am not sure how bright to expect it will be.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would blow it away overall brightness. But the 4D should have more throw. a 3C maglite can out throw a surefire P61. sobering moment that was when i found out.

Crenshaw

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to use a 3D mag with xenon maglite bulb (not stock krypton) for address spotting when delivery driving... I don't delivery drive any more, but playing with my G2 with the plain old P60 (not P61 or P60L) it seems to work better as its brighter and rarely are any addresses beyond the P60's working range.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
oh look, we made it to 17 posts before some comment like that was made.

Crenshaw

This started out as a Fenix vs. Surefire thread.

Can you honestly say you're surprised it went this route?....

But let me try to put a new perspective on this issue, with regards to the two lights in this thread. I own both models. And I'm done buying 1 or 2-celled lights that don't come with a good pocket-carry clip. My job requires me to climb in and out of the same vehicle, 80 times each shift. Trying to find a good position for a small light in a holster is a pain. A pain that goes away with a good clip which allows me to carry the light inside the pocket of my uniform, especially when driving.

The TK10 comes with a clip, the G2L doesn't. Problem is, the clip on the TK10 is nearly useless. Too short and too much of the light sticks out of the pocket. A better solution is a Novatac clip (old or new style) combined with a 5/8-inch O-ring. A thick O-ring designed for plumbing use works best. Now you can carry the G2L bezel-down.

If clip-carry is a consideration, a G2L + Novatac clip + 5/8-inch O-ring = SWEET!

Last edited: