Garrity Stainless Steel light for Mods?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I've seen this at Wal-mart in the <$15 range it has a large head and looks like it might be good for modding. But Garrity doesn't have a good past with solid flashlights. Anybody use/review/mod one?
03493412000-dlv.jpg

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these 2 'D' cell flashlights, but I haven't done anything with it.

I also one that looks the same but is much shorter, and uses 4 AA batteries, in a battery holder that is the exact same size as a 'D' cell. I think this one would be good to mount an array of Nichia LED's, or a Luxeon Star.

I also have one of these flashlights in the AA size, in which I removed the head, and replaced it with a 1" copper pipe connector. Inside this new head was placed a MAX757 step up regulator I made, and a Luxeon Star w/o on a 1" diameter aluminum heat sink. I have some photos of it somehwere. I'll post them later.

I used black electricians tape to hold the new head on. It doesn't look that great, but it works fine. Lasts a couple of hours on 2 AA batteries at full brightness.

Because the inside of the stock head is plastic, with a stainless steel outside, ti doesn't work well for heat sinking the Luxeon, hence, I haven't done any other mods with it. This one modified flashlight I have, I gave it to my wife.

I did notice that the Lithium 123 fits inside this flashlight perfectly.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif