German V-3 Tri-Torch

hoss

Newly Enlightened
Saw this at HerringtonCatalog web site: here
200 hour runtime and each led is apparently regulated with its own chip.
smile.gif

Anybody know anything about this flashlight?
Can't figure out what sized batteries it takes.
I noticed almost everything at Herrington's is overpriced
mad.gif
so maybe it's cheaper somewhere else.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks familiar, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have "a computer chip" for each LED, as the ad copy says. Prob just a plain 'ol resistor. If it really had 3 costly regulators, I doubt Herrington's would be able to make a profit, even at that price.

200 hours sounds credible and in the range expected for a typical 3 or 4 LED light (like the LW2K), so it sounds maybe like its 3AA or 3N.

leddite

Enlightened
aren't these the same LED "torches" for sale in the usa branded as "eddy bauer" and sold at target stores?

those little holes in the end are like a signature statement... i think i've also seen them in maybe? a sharper image catalog branded as something else...

they definitely seem to get around, if they are the same unit

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The flashlight on that page is identical in size and shape to one I've already got: the V2 Triplex by LED-Lenser. Mine uses 2 CR2 lithium camera batteries, and can be found here.

According to Herrington's page, it uses three alkaline batteries, which they offer for $13. That seems high for alkies, even if they're a bizarre size. Makes me wonder if it really uses CR2 photo lithiums, which would cost about that much for a set. (I can't find these in Seattle, so I can't price them locally).

As a flashlight, it does rather well for a little three banger, and despite its satiny smooth, unknurled barrel, it feels nice in the hand. It's heavy for its size, and doesn't feel like junk. It uses LED-Lensers special rubber switch cover though, and they have been reported to occasionally become dislodged and lost. A spare is included in the tailcap in case that happens. It also has the LEDs inset into seperate cells in an insert in its bezel; this insert is chrome plated plastic like a model airplane part. Everything else is nice brushed aluminum.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Originally posted by leddite:
aren't these the same LED "torches" for sale in the usa branded as "eddy bauer" and sold at target stores?

those little holes in the end are like a signature statement... i think i've also seen them in maybe? a sharper image catalog branded as something else...

they definitely seem to get around, if they are the same unit
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are correct; although I've not (yet) seen this 3 LED model in either Sharper Image, or under the Eddie Bauer name at Target; the other ones I've seen. No idea who makes them; I should check a package at my local Target and see where they are manufactured. (China I'd bet....)

And aside from the larger size, and higher price, the advantage over a PT Rage is....? Ok, it's got a button switch, which can be a decided *disadvantage* over the bezel rotate switch, which virtually *never* gets turned on accidently....

Still, it's good to see more mass marketing of LED lights; although this one seems badly overpriced for what has to be a simple 3N cell, 3 unregulated LED's light. This could really give the unwary consumer a bad impression of what a good LED light should be (and cost!).
rolleyes.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
These made in China lights are now at Frys in San Diego as an advertised special at $19.95 each. Fry's packaging has a different importer name from the Pacific Northwest but also references the German design. Fry's also carries a keychain single LED product from the same family that looks like a torpedo shaped Infinity or ARC AAA wannabee.

Battery requirements were unclear from the packaging (I forgot my reading glasses.)

I also have seen the product at Target under the Eddie Bauer name.

I passed, but noticed that Fry's gave the product lots of shelf space close to its Mag 6C's and 5D's at the big end of its 1/3-aisle-long "Mag Wall".

ledfoot

Newly Enlightened
The V2 I bought at shopko uses 3 n cells. I really like this light and I find myself using it all the time. It usually sells for $24.99 but I bought mine on sale for $19.99.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
ledfoot:

You're tempting me.

The light is attractive, but my family now has 4 LED clusters in 2 @ Lightwave 2000's, 1 @ Combatlight, and retrofitted jBechto 4 LED PR base clusters in a PT40, a Dorcy Boss, and a Target Outlands Ray-o-Vac clone of the Dorcy Boss.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
it is the V2 Triplex from LedLenser using 3 x N-Cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bernhard,

The V2 Triplex must have undergone a change since I reviewed it, since my version uses 2 type CR2 lithium cells, yet the V2 Triplex that seems to be going around these days uses 3 size N alkaline cells.

Both of these V2s appear to be put out by LED-Lenser.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hm Craig ... I do not know if I'd not prefer it with lithiums ...
but thanx for the confirmation!
bernhard

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I recently bought one of those LEDlenser V2 Triplex models under the Eddie Bauer name at Target. It's certainly a bright light, much brighter than my PT Attitude and Lightwave 2000 and close to the brightness of my Inova X5T. No lanyard or sheath came with mine, but I like it.

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
On sale last week at Fry's $14.95
Blue version. One to a customer
Tek Torches V2 Triplex by Zweibruder with Microchip Technology, with carry Pouch - 3 N cells.
Appears to be sleaved down inside the body of the light.

Not sure what the N-Cells cost to replace but for $15, I'll try it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ordered a pack of cr2 lithiums to give it a try, but they seem rather short for the battery compartment ...
Craig, was your V2 shorter than the actual model?
bernhard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
ordered a pack of cr2 lithiums to give it a try, but they seem rather short for the battery compartment ...
Craig, was your V2 shorter than the actual model?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow!!!
You ordered CR2 lithiums?!?
You must have the earlier version of the V2 Triplex! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As to the size of my V2 compared to the N-cell version now available, that I honestly don't know because I don't have the N-cell version to compare my CR2-cell version with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif