Get the Fenix L2D Q5 now or wait?

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Scorcher75 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

To answer yer' question . . . .

I have a Fenix L2D-CE, from way back in February 2007.

This had the original LED bin, a "lowly" P4.

And, you know what ? ? ?

It's WONDERFUL !

I really LOVE it. !

And, to think, your Q5 is gonna' be even BRIGHTER !

( at no sacrifice in battery life ! )

Go for it.

You won't be sorry.

:twothumbs
_

Mag317

Newly Enlightened
I just email to Fenix rdg any news to upgrade their current LED flaslight with Cree Q5 to R2. And their reply was " As far as I know, recently, there is no plan for the update of P3D to R2 LED".

Looks like its going to take a while for Fenix to come up with a newer LED.:popcorn:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think too many manufacturers are jumping to R2 just yet. I have a DX R2 light and it's considerably dimmer than my Q5 lights.

The jump from Q5 to R2 is not a significant jump at all.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's still limited quantity of R2, only Liteflux sells a quality light with R2 (LF5XT).
Most DX/eBay R2 lights or drop-ins have Q5 instead of genuine R2.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
I am a huge fan of 2AA flashlights. The Fenix L2D CE Q5 is an OUTSTANDING product for what, 60 bucks?

Well built, very bright, regulated, and multiple outputs that are easy to figure out.

I use Sanyo Eneloops and can use alkalines, NiCd, or Energizer lithium if needed or desired. Think of the flexibility that gives you, anywhere in the world.

You will not regret owning this light.

+1 on this. AA is very versatile and readily available. Even primaries become guilt-free lumens:whistle:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the added info. When I compare my NiteCore D10 (Q5) on max to my LF5XT (R2) on max, the brightness is very very close. Very hard to tell any difference in brightness at all.

I'm glad that my wallet can wait for LEDs to vastly improve before I need to jump from my Q5 lights. :)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another option worth considering: Buy a used L2D-CE with the P4 CREE. Then, get an R2 LED from Erasmus (or another source) and upgrade the emitter. For much less than a new Q5, you will have an L2D R2.

More lumens for less money is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

big beam

Enlightened
I would also give some thought to the rebel 100 fenix at lighthound.Warmer tint just as bright and i like the beam better.Also from what I hear the regular emitters that are used in fenix lights are Q2's now.Most of the Q2's that I own have warmer tints than Q5's YMMV.
DON
But getting back to your question,BUY NOW! Life's to short.

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
JUST ORDERED!!! :D
Got it from Fenix-Store with the discount!

Thanks all for the overwhelming responses!

BTW, If I'm becoming a flashaholic after this, I'm recording the IP of all the repliers here and am planning to hunt u all down, even at night cuz I can now use the Fenix L2D to help me navigate.
Just jokin... :devil:

Thnx again.
I will post my unprofessional review with pics once I get it.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it from Fenix-Store with the discount!

WAIT!!! Don't do it! :eek:

There are newer, better things on the horizon.

Don't pull the trigger just yet! :twak:
Kidding... :)

Great choice and congratulations. You're gonna love your new flashlight. :twothumbs

Just don't blind yourself when you get tempted to look directly into the light "to see if it really is all that bright." ;)

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
WAIT!!! Don't do it! :eek:

There are newer, better things on the horizon.

Don't pull the trigger just yet! :twak:
Kidding... :)

Great choice and congratulations. You're gonna love your new flashlight. :twothumbs

Just don't blind yourself when you get tempted to look directly into the light "to see if it really is all that bright." ;)

man u almost had me.
For a split second, the thought of somehow cancelling my order ran through my mind, I'm so freakin indecisive. lol :banghead:
Triple A said:
Well Done!! You took the leap and won't be disappointed!;)

Thanks, can't wait to get it.

henry33

Newly Enlightened
I was just going to say to go ahead and order it as I had just ordered mine last week. With the discount it was about $57.50. For some reason they didn't get my paypal order and I had to call before I got an email saying it was shipped. Hopefully I'll get it this week.

I had an Ultrafire C3 from DX which lasted a few months, but it just started to flake out on me. It was my second one too. Just got tired of those cheap DX lights, they always seem to break on me eventually, I've got a graveyard of EJY's, 602Ds, C2, etc and of course a bunch of others that somehow got lost. I had the Fenix L2T and it's still good, it's just in the drawer because it's just not bright enough in this day and age... Anyway, I just ordered my L2D Q5 because I couldn't wait, I needed a light that works. I think I still saved a little money by skipping the L2T 2.0 and going with those C3's for a little while.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
BTW, If I'm becoming a flashaholic after this, I'm recording the IP of all the repliers here and am planning to hunt u all down, even at night cuz I can now use the Fenix L2D to help me navigate.

Congrats! The L2D is a great light and it's an easy upgrade in the future - just need some very basic soldering skills. For hunting however, you might want something with a little more throw. Consider the Deree DBS or if your budget prohibits, check out the Aurora WF 600 9V version. Some CPF'ers are in darned good shape - fast and elusive. A thrower will even the odds for you.:D

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
I had a Fenix L2D Q5 that I liked a lot, then sold it to a friend. Now I kind of wish I had it back.:(

However, I just got a Nitecore D10 so I'm not hurting too bad.:D

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
the l2d is such a great all around light. it was my first light and if i had to have only one light out of my collection, it would be that. reliable and efficient.

it's a gateway flashlight like in gateway drug. hold onto your wallet :devil: