Getting a Great Glow

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by cave dave:
My Girlfriend has Chrome nail polish.

It produces a much better effect than I would have suspected. I think this would make a better base coat than white out. Also it would be good for painting the reflector area of the infinity. I haven't tried it on anything but my fingernail yet. But I'll have to go look for some to put on my infinity then add a GITD layer over that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can you post what brand it is?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up some chrome nail polish made by Sally Hansen. It is available at Target, Sav-On, Walgreen's, etc. I think I also saw a chrome polish made by Revlon. I tried one of the Sally Hansen chrome colors for a base coat, but in my testing (which may be flawed), the white base coat was much, much brighter. Just my experience, for whatever it's worth...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just thinking about trying some of that stuff for a whole different reason-like maybe to touch up worn flashlight reflectors. hmmmm......

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I have purchased 30 gm. of the Aqua glow powder from readysetglow and the product seems HQ to me. The persistence of the glow is just amazing and the initial afterglow is brighter than my Timex indiglow watchface for about 10 minutes, then equal to it for about 30 mins or so. I have only used it with Wet'n Wild #401, but I plane to try it with some Polyurethane based paints in the next week or so. So as for you initial question, yes, readysetglow gets my stamp of approval, FWIW.

e-

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, how long does your GITD paint last? Doug, the sample you gave me doesn't last near as long as you said. At first its extremely bright. Then it diminishes after 2 hours or so. And after that it doesn't work anymore. I haven't tried mixing my own yet, but is there a chance the sample you sent me was defective?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by splitsec524:
Hey guys, how long does your GITD paint last? Doug, the sample you gave me doesn't last near as long as you said. At first its extremely bright. Then it diminishes after 2 hours or so. And after that it doesn't work anymore. I haven't tried mixing my own yet, but is there a chance the sample you sent me was defective?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dunno...(!), I'm using the same thing that you got.....
Was that the straight green or the blue/green?

Are you referring to the finished sample I included, the powder itself, or your finished coating.
A little more info would sure help.-But any of the material SHOULD glow all night long (although not too brightly after 8 hours).
I would appreciated it if you could mail me a small sample of your finished results so I could take a look at it!
-Let me know.......

Edit: 7/31/02-Relative residual
brightness glow ratings for top quality blue/green pigment in millicandelas per sq. meter:

1 min.-2332 units
10min.--453 "
30min.--144 "
60min.----65 "
4 hours---13 "
8 hours-----7 "
12hours----3 "
Usefulness threshold: .32mcd/m²

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
FYI - I have bought (via ebay) glow powder from several different sellers.

The last batches were one full ounce of both green and aqua. The price was $5.00 per ounce. This $5.00/ounce price included shipping!

I don't know the manufacturer, but when the green was compared side-by side with the Nichia yellow-green, they appear identical. Identical both in terms of initial brightness and in long-term glow duration.

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
I'm talking about the sample (green) that you sent me. Since it didn't glow too brightly I never bothered to make a batch of my own. Maybe I'm charging it wrong. I'm using my Surefire 8X to charge it up.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by splitsec524:
I'm talking about the sample (green) that you sent me. Since it didn't glow too brightly I never bothered to make a batch of my own. Maybe I'm charging it wrong. I'm using my Surefire 8X to charge it up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Aha!
grin.gif

1. That little sample was a rush job that I did with only 3 thin coats instead of the recommended 4-5 coats. I got a little swamped with unexpected responses and had to get the orders out-my apologies...
blush.gif

2. It has been my experience that incandescent light just isn't the best for a complete charge-up.
-A regular Blacklight isn't either!
What I use is a MINIMUM of 30 seconds held 2" directly under a decent fluorescent bulb.

My conclusion is that an absolute minimum of FOUR coats is absolutely necessary for longetivity of glow.-And proper, full charge-up is also important particularly with pro-grade pigments-(as my supplier's specification sheet states).
So, thinner coatings and inadequite charging can really fool you into believing that you have a good glow surface-when actually you really DON'T, because the initial glow seems plenty bright, but just doesn't last. Hope that helps.

p.s.-I have on my trial card, samples that show a difference of almost TWICE the residual brightness after 8 hours darkness -because of the above stated reasons.

Willmore

Enlightened
I hate to get involved with *another* form of lighting, but is there a simple way to get a small quantity of this just to play around with? I'm not going to try to paint my car or anything.... Not that I even know how much a 'small' sample would be. Say enough to make up one oz of paint?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Willmore:
I hate to get involved with *another* form of lighting, but is there a simple way to get a small quantity of this just to play around with? I'm not going to try to paint my car or anything.... Not that I even know how much a 'small' sample would be. Say enough to make up one oz of paint?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why don't you just order the 5gm. size from www.readysetglo.com ?
OR....-send me a $5 dollar bill in a S.A.S.E., and I'll send you 4 gms.(enough to make 1/2 oz.) of strong green/yellow glow-paint.

p.s.-a full ounce is way more than you'll need to experiment with.-bcause 1/2 oz. will thoroughly coat 2-3 business cards.
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mr. Glow, If I sent you $10, would you send me 1oz? I wanted to make some house numbers for hanging in our front window. If that works out, I wanted to make some skulls and ghosts for halloween.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KoS:
Mr. Glow, If I sent you $10, would you send me 1oz? I wanted to make some house numbers for hanging in our front window. If that works out, I wanted to make some skulls and ghosts for halloween.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry KoS, I don't have an oz. right now. You could order 1/2 oz. (which should be more than enough) from the readysetglo people-that's plenty for a 6 number address-and THEN some....!
grin.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
Originally posted by mr.glow:
Why don't you just order the 5gm. size from www.readysetglo.com ?
OR....-send me a $5 dollar bill in a S.A.S.E., and I'll send you 4 gms.(enough to make 1/2 oz.) of strong green/yellow glow-paint.

p.s.-a full ounce is way more than you'll need to experiment with.-bcause 1/2 oz. will thoroughly coat 2-3 business cards.
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good idea! I just ordered from them. Very easy to make a purchase via paypal. Slick. Didn't even take a minute.
smile.gif
Of course, the all flash website puts them on my 'punish if you get a chance' list.
frown.gif
Flash, gawd, that stuff sucks.

Thanks, again!

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
About this glow powder, does it charge well with UV LEDs or even blue LEDs? and would a fairly large painted surface provide enough light for walking around in a dark house?

Here's an idea:
What about maybe painting the inside of a clear plastic wide-mouth water bottle with the green GITD stuff, and mounting 4 wide-angle UV LEDs on a 3 AA cell holder on the inside of the lid (sort of like the ZZ flame is setup). My hope is that the LED's would only need to be run for maybe 3 minutes at a time, and then the residual glow from that would provide a useful amout of light for maybe 30 minutes. Kind of an LED/GITD lantern with an extraordinary battery runtime.

Whad'ya think?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Willmore:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by mr.glow:
Why don't you just order the 5gm. size from www.readysetglo.com ?

shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good idea! I just ordered from them. Very easy to make a purchase via paypal. Slick. Didn't even take a minute.
smile.gif
Of course, the all flash website puts them on my 'punish if you get a chance' list.
frown.gif
Flash, gawd, that stuff sucks.

Thanks, again!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Shannon, (the gal that runs that company), promised me a month ago that she would FIX that poorly designed website. gross amount of usable amount space just wasted with centralized "squinched" copy.
mad.gif

Jack O.-yes, the green glow-paint will charge up extremely well with the UV LEDs.
-sounds like an interesting idea you have. Good Luck

Willmore

Enlightened
Originally posted by mr.glow:
Shannon, (the gal that runs that company), promised me a month ago that she would FIX that poorly designed website. gross amount of usable amount space just wasted with centralized "squinched" copy.
mad.gif

Jack O.-yes, the green glow-paint will charge up extremely well with the UV LEDs.
-sounds like an interesting idea you have. Good Luck
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got back an emailed response saying that my shipment would be sent out within 24 hours and that air mail from the land of 'eh would take 5 to 10 days. And, that she was in the process of ripping out the flash as she was losing too many customers. Very good, I replied.

Latest posts