glo-toob fx/gtl?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash_bang said:
oh my god, this fricken sucks!!! well, I have a source for the weird size batteries for about 2.50 a pair, so if I can find the FX in a store near me then I'm GTG. the closest radioshack sells them for 8 bucks a pair, talk about price difference!

lates,
flash
I was in HomeDepote the other day and they had the 23 sixed batt for .79cents a peice or somthing like $1.79 for two.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rock:

waitin' for those lithium Toobs...

Um, checked out their website. It states that the expected runtime of the standard model is 30-80hrs, while the lithium is only 24-100hrs... How can that be? Granted, the voltage of the A23 battery is higher, but the capacity is puny compared to a 123.

Last edited:

flash_bang

Enlightened
I think it's because the 123 is brighter than the A23 in constant on 100%, but the A23 doesn't have enough capacity to match the length that the 123 can run. Just a guess...
where does it say that it can also use rechargeables? besides the raw fact that it runs on LED's
have a good one,
Flash

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the white is bright enough for a tent light and good at draining dead CR123's! :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's hoping that they make it to market soon.
I've waited a long time for a more standardized battery. Thanks for the info.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
the info. on their website says about the new lithium version of glo-toob (FAQ and COMPARE sections):

--able to use rechargeable CR123A's in 3, 3.3, and 3.6 volt versions.

--lithium glo-toob a bit larger than current type - but will also be better, brighter, stronger, and will last longer.

--modes still not announced (see my post earlier in this thread on email I received from them, where they said there will be 11 modes - OK, adding edit here - at the bottom of the compare chart they also mention the 11 modes)

--tactile push-type button standard, other types to be circulated (again, in the email I got they said the standard package would have the extra twisty cap).

--size of lithium glo-toob 3.15 x 0.95 inches (vs. 2.8 x 0.75 in largest current version)

--weight, 2.18 oz (vs. 1.27 oz, current largest version)

--runtime 24-100 hrs (vs. 30 standard version, or 30-80 - obviously 80 hrs applied to the slowest intermittent mode of the current version).

It's actually good that at the highest setting it gets 24 hrs, it means it should be a lot brighter than the highest setting of the FX version (or standard setting of the standard version).

Good news, I'd say. Just be careful that you get the extra cap standard (in case its release is a bit delayed).

Last edited:

flash_bang

Enlightened
sounds good, I think april isn't that far away, so I'm really looking forward to it!!
have a good one,
Flash

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone besides me have a Glo-toob Flashcap for Mag D? I love mine. It's available from Lighthound.

It is steady on or flash two stage, kroll-like switch in the center, off-on-off-flash-off.

Mine is amber, and contains 6 leds. 3 are in tubes that project a spot from the top; the other 3 are dispersed to the side. Solid product, as you'd expect. The capacity of the coin cells is a respectable 200+ma, so runtime is actually pretty decent as the unit is drawing under 15mah.

WTH

Newly Enlightened
This thread is a few months old but I haven't seen anything newer. Any idea on the release date for the lithium glo-toob?

flash_bang

Enlightened
ooooooookay peoples, any more updates on the lithium glo-toob? I haven't heard anything for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg while.
TIA,
Flash

flash_bang

Enlightened
I think I'll get one or two FX's, then if the GTL comes out in time for Christmas, I'll see if I can attain one or two of those.

As for the color, I think I'll get a red, and another one. Any ideas what the other color should be? I was thinking green, but I like the blue as well, I've kinda written off amber and white.

One thing that's kinda held me off as far as ordering one is the battery. I have a source for them at a local store, and they're fairly cheap, but I don't know if the A23 is likely to vent or something. I know alkalines don't do well in the cold (not as well as lithiums), but I can't convince myself to get one when I'm thinking the batts could leak. Aaaaaaaaaah! :ohgeez: I guess I'm just getting really worked up over this. Since I think me getting one is imminent, next time I go to the store downtown I'll pick up a couple packs of the A23's.

TIA,
Flash