Going to get a SureFire, tired of junk lites

cl0123

Enlightened
Yes, I have used 17670 in 6P/C2 equivalents. That would be more my route since it costs less and hopefully more reliable. However, theoretically, 18650 should deliver more run time.
Won't a single AW17670 inside of a 6P work with the Markoff M30?

nzgunnie :ohgeez: is bringing the thread back on-topic. Of course, I for one is very guilty of side-stepping into the lego-land territory with my previous feedbacks.
You say you want surefire reliability, yet you are replacing the lamp with an aftermarket lamp assy, the body with an aftermarket body, and the battery with aftermarket cells.

All you are using is the head and tailcap.

Hard to know how you expect to get 'Surefire reliability' from that, although no doubt it will run extremely well for you, it's just not really a surefire anymore.

The tail 9P cap doesn't need to be recessed, as you untwist it to lock it out.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Pic of a leef 2x18650 body with a 9P head and tailcap.

_DSC1765.jpg

I normally run a MN16 in a KT2 head, but swapped it over for the photo.

Note that although it does not show well in the pic, the SF parts are very shiny black, while the HA body if pretty matt. They don't match closely at all, if that is important to you. The FM bodies look like a much closer match.

I wasn't suggesting that the Malkoff would not be reliable, I think it appears to be absolutely reliable, however that is due to Gene's very high standards, and nothing to do with Surefire.

Last edited:

roymail

Enlightened
The advantage of 2x18650 config is runtime, not an increase in brightness. Requires the expense of the Leef body.

Since you're going to use rechargeables, 2x17500 will give the same brightness with somewhat less runtime.

SF 9P/Malkoff M60/2x17500's is a good option.
SF G3/Malkoff M60L/2x17500 is also a nice option with adequate brightness and better runtime.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone else already touched on this, but I thought it worth repeating - I love my SF lights as much as the next guy, but anything can and potentially will fail. Always carry a backup, especially if its a tool you use on the daily.

Fenix has a reasonably good track record and usually puts out a good product - you had the bad luck to get one of their less-than-sterling lights.

-Trevor

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the pics, looks sweet.

I have to get FiveMega's 2x18650 (C/C) body as Leef 2x18650 does not seem to be available.
Are there any differences between the two?

If possible, please post a pic of FiveMega's body?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know - you have a point. There is little SF left in it.

Of course keep in mind, I can still use the original body for 2x17500. So then the only thing that gets replaced is the LED module.

Why complicate your life by keeping two sets of batteries both 17mm and 18mm. If someone would give you some 17mm cells for free, then you can use them in the 18mm body anyway. The difference in the thickness between a body that takes only the 17*** or takes the 17*** AND 18*** is very small.

I have many lights that use a SF "C" head, (not the SF brand) Leef body and Leef switch, so there are no SF parts in it at all. Very reliable and can tailstand, something I use often. Today you have great many choices how you set up your Lego light without buying any SF parts.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
<vent mode>
I am fed up with junk products I have been getting ... All the incarnations of Chinese made lites. Yet another failure today. Fenix. Okay, I EDCed it for a year and used every day. Never abused it, only put the best NiMH I could find. The driver itself failed and it does erratic things in some kind of a morse code configuration. Just p1sses me off. Cannot imagine what would have happened if I actually needed it in a 'situation'.

These Chinese made lites aren't all that cheap, go for between 60-100 and a poor value at that. I am certainly not going to rely on it ever again.

<vent off>

Ebay and Surefire, here I come.

Holy sh1t, cannot believe the array of choices. Do they need that many? I cannot figure out what the difference between models is.
Thus far I am inclined to get SF 9P. Two of them actually, and convert both with Malkoff modules, one into M30/ and AA configuration and the other into M60 and 2x18650 configuration.
I just need to find a recessed tail. I am sure there is a thread on it somewhere. Something that won't turn on in my pocket (I EDC tailcap down)
A single failure and this rant is a bit over the top, imho. You all of a sudden cast all Chinese lights in a negative light, wth?

Have you seen the SureFire Titan thread about all the problems the people have with that light? All lights can fail, just because one failed on you does not mean the brand or the industry is bad.

You talk about $60-100 being not cheap and a poor value. Imagine if you paid $500 for a light and failed. My goodness... Let's have some perspective shall we?

We have not seen masses of people complaining about L2Ds or other Fenix lights failing all over the place, so you unfortunately experienced a single rare manufacturing example.

If you bought it from fenix-store.com or 4sevens.com, they would take care of you with their lifetime warranty.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the pics, looks sweet.

I have to get FiveMega's 2x18650 (C/C) body as Leef 2x18650 does not seem to be available.
Are there any differences between the two?

If possible, please post a pic of FiveMega's body?
FM makes a 2x18500 body in the same thread as the 2x18650 body thread.

streetkid

Newly Enlightened
The 9P is too big to EDC in a jeans pocket, especially if you make it bigger with the 2x18650 body.

I think the 6P w/ 1x17670 and the M30 mentioned earlier would do everything you wanted. (i've been wanting to do this, but don't have any money :()

And like mentioned earlier, if all you're using is the head and tail from the SF light, you should look for those on the market place and save some money by not buying an overpriced SF.

Another option (what i did with my 9P) is get a 1 cell extender and run 2x17670s with whatever LA you want, probably m60, i'm running an EO-9. This would get you the longer runtimes with bigger batteries, however not as long, it'd be the same length as the leef body, but you'd still be carrying a "surefire" light.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Many users here (I for one) will happily report that 4sevens support for Fenix lights is at least as good, if not better, than Surefire's. At least 4sevens replies to emails and does good post-sale service to international customers.

No doubt that Surefires are very high quality, higher than Fenix. But the final veredict on quality/price ratio for Surefire and Fenix is still out, and many threads have scalpelized and debated this to exhaustion.

-------------------------------------------------
Ladies and gentleman, start your flamethrowers:

Here's a little reality check, although a bit of comparing apples to oranges: my favorite Surefires are the L1 Cree and the E2DL, each for very specific reasons (UI for the first, throw and crenelations for the second). Yesterday I lent my wife an oldie Fenix P1CE (for her to take to a Madonna concert). It had to be something small, simple, and yet powerfull. By chance we crossed beams outdoors when she was coming home, late at night. The E2DL is a monster thrower. But that P1CE beam really made me stop for a second and ask "wtf am I doing with this big, expensive Surefire in my pocket, when that tiny thing puts out so much, so beautifull light, and for so long, on such a small footprint, and on a single 123 cell. Do I really NEED more than this?". A flashlight is just something to cast photons, and I didn't dare shine the P1 next to the L1... I would have been embarassed, to say the least.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
... and many threads have scalpelized and debated this to exhaustion.

...and yet you go on anyway? :duh2:

If you're in the market for a 3x SF123A light then I would suggest giving the G3 or G3L a look. Either the G3 or 9P will be quite long for EDC (but not impossibly so, I can comfortably carry an M3 in a pocket) so you might as well try and save some weight by picking the nitrolon over aluminium.

Regards,
Tempest

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
One thing to think about. The Malkoff is picky about electrical conductivity, and some after market bodies may not work due to too much anodizing in the head of the body. SF Incan LA's work, but the Malkoff is not set up with the outside spring. Just something to think about. SF bodies work with the Malkoff as SF leaves the inside of the body free of anodize.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option (what i did with my 9P) is get a 1 cell extender and run 2x17670s with whatever LA you want, probably m60, i'm running an EO-9. This would get you the longer runtimes with bigger batteries, however not as long, it'd be the same length as the leef body, but you'd still be carrying a "surefire" light.

That is very enticing. I have to debate if I want to do that, or 2x18650. Both have pros/cons.

Can you estimate the run time difference between M60 with 2x17670 and 2x18650?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Probably close to one hour difference. On + side of 18650 is the availability of good cells in that size. Sanyo, Sony, LG, to name a few make excellent 18650's. One of the most popular Li-Ion sizes made and refined over the years.

Bill

Gator762

Enlightened
A single failure and this rant is a bit over the top, imho. You all of a sudden cast all Chinese lights in a negative light, wth?

Have you seen the SureFire Titan thread about all the problems the people have with that light? All lights can fail, just because one failed on you does not mean the brand or the industry is bad.

You talk about $60-100 being not cheap and a poor value. Imagine if you paid $500 for a light and failed. My goodness... Let's have some perspective shall we?

We have not seen masses of people complaining about L2Ds or other Fenix lights failing all over the place, so you unfortunately experienced a single rare manufacturing example.

If you bought it from fenix-store.com or 4sevens.com, they would take care of you with their lifetime warranty.

+1

The point here is EVERYTHING can fail. One is zero, two is one.

Get a AAA light for a backup light.

You've ranted in a few posts for a number of days now... Have you even checked about the warranty?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably close to one hour difference. On + side of 18650 is the availability of good cells in that size. Sanyo, Sony, LG, to name a few make excellent 18650's. One of the most popular Li-Ion sizes made and refined over the years.

Bill

That settles that issue. Now I just have to find the right 2x18650 body.