Grado Headphones

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone own a pair of the 325i's. The reviews look good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

sr325i.gif

Here there web site...... Grado Labs

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'd suggest checking out HeadFi if you want exhaustive information on headphones.

...and you thought that a Flashlight forum was odd...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 325's and love them!

Some people thought that the improvement over the 225 was not signifcant enough for the price differential, but I thought, and think, that they are awesome!!

Great response, great bass, tight sounding.

Bill

PS HeadFi IS weird, not odd, but lots of good info!!!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I just have a set of Sony MDR-V6's. Nice sounding - definitely the strongest link in my "sound system" (read: onboard PC soundcard using crappy front audio jack).

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a professional studio musician, and sideman, I make my living wearing can's.
I do like the the grado 2 series, and the 325's very much.
but what I like may be diffrent then what one want's for a home hifi setup, but on the rare ocasion i use can's for home stereo i still love my late 70's era sennheiser 414's.

inefficiant, (need more volume to get to the spl modern can's do,) and the foam wears out too fast but the balance
is perfect top to bottom (yes even for an open air model)
and soo much warmer then a modern set, because of the alnico magnet structure.

Another set, the flat freq model k-240 by AKG, is like grado 2's is a set fans of flatter, truer, reproduction may enjoy.
not as clean as grado's, but also none of the neo magnet harshness either.
And this a real plus when using modern hifi equipment with digital media. VDG

MicroE

Enlightened
I own and use the bottom-of-the-line Grado S60's and they are fabulous.
I am not an audiophile so it is unlikely that I could tell the difference between the nuances in the Grado lineup. But I can tell you that the Grados are the best headphones that I have ever owned and they cost less than $70US. Even their low end blows away the headphones that come with CD players and ipods.---Marc

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
snip.... still love my late 70's era sennheiser 414's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see your 414s and raise you to a pair 430s - still my favorite cans - I also had a pair of Shure E3Cs

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the info guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I'll look into these and the other suggestions more. So many choices.....

Oh and that Headfi site is pretty cool, lots of info there.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
snip.... still love my late 70's era sennheiser 414's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see your 414s and raise you to a pair 430s - still my favorite cans - I also had a pair of Shure E3Cs

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep another great set of can's for sure. VDG

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
I have a few cans , Grado SR60, SR80, Senn 580, 600.

For the best bang for the buck the SR80 is really good. They are easy to drive, even your computer soundcard can drive it decently.

The Senns that i have need a good amp to really shine, hence i use a head amp if i use my senn cans on the computer.

iddibhai

Enlightened
i keep hearing rumours that the SR60 is the only one really suitable for use 'as is', and that the rest of the grado's really shine when hooked to an amp.. even though the entire RS line has the same impedance (at least up through the SR225 for sure). How is that? also, my soundcard (SB Live) puts out a very hot signal, so much so that I run it around 25% on the volume control applet when I plug headphones into it, or it gets too loud for me. would that be sufficiently powerful to decently drive a pair of SR80/125/225? thanks.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm *VERY* happy with my SR60s. The 325i's look great, but I'd seriously consider just trying a pair of cheap SR60s first -- if for no other reason than the fact that you'll probably be pretty darn happy with them, and if you end up with some 325i's later you've now got a pair of SR60's to be your 'outside of the house' cans.

Unfortunately, the Grados are open -- so they don't block any noise. I'm going on seveal flights the next few months so I also got myself a pair of Sennheiser noise canceling cans. Make no mistake, they're not Grados and I won't use them for listening in quiet environments, but I've played with them a bit and for listening in noisy environments, if you have a tough time with the canal phones (I do) than they can't be beat I think. It is unfortunate, however, that the Sennheisers cost more than the Grados and will see less use!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
...snip...

Yep another great set of can's for sure. VDG

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW you know why the od Sennheiser cans are hard to drive, right? They are 600 Ohm impeadance cans, and everything today is MUCH higher Z - now the joke is that Sennheser went out of their way to make the cans 600 Ohms. Why? For a low noise, max power transfer electronics system, you really need your input impeadance = output impeadance. You can get away with Low Z out, and High Z in, and it allows you to do things like spliiting, and that is the current way most consumer stuff is. But true commercial audio is 600 Ohm impeadance - IN and OUT - and the headphones were designed to match that, AND produce "proper" SPL levels when fed with line level audio!! This way, the audio eng could actually plug into the patch bays in a station/studio and LISTEN to the actual signal, NOT something coming out of a headphone jack. THAT is why I'll never give up my HD-430s. I can check line level audio

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
bwaites, I use the etymotic 4s with custom earmolds. It's great for when you need isolation without the bulk and extra processing of a noise reducing headphone. I bought them to use for mic setups in location recording, but they're great for when I'm mowing the lawn, flying or using the exercise equipment. I use the Senheiser 600, though for most critical listening.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a tossup for me for critical listening.

I have a busy family, so the isolation when I want to REALLY listen to something is nice.

I have the custom ear molds as well, and you are right, they are great for everything else!

Bill

iddibhai

Enlightened
err, so anyone have any idea if the >SR60 Grado's will live up driven by a soundblaster Live card?