yclo

Flashaholic*
fc9daffa.jpg

Bigger picture

ab

Enlightened
Here is one of my Arc Greys.

Installed kit of mods including:

upgraded SS14 low-Vf schottky diode (a slight efficiency gain)
RC re-compensation (a circuit stability gain)
hand-selected Q3H LD emitter (wow - bright!)
selected factory perfect NX05 collimator (much better)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Body has a chromic acid batch then caustic strip followed by an all-over #6 glass bead blast.

Here are a couple of photos:

ab-arc-grey-beadblast-2.jpg

The second photo shows the light beside an ARC AAA LE. Note that the Grey is slightly shorter than the AAA in overall length.

ab-arc-grey-beadblast-1.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with this setup. It's very bright, more efficient and more stable than the standard circuit. I have not increased the run current in the Luxeon but may do so in the future.

I've done a small handful like this or quite similar (ie: McFlood optics, Royal Blue emitters, etc.) for other CPF members in private deals and the response has been quite positive. I think I'll post an offer in B/S/T if anyone gets their kit and isn't ready to tackle it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
dang ab!!!

i love that beadblasted look.
a q3h emitter!!!!!

i'm sure you upgraded the lens right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ab

Enlightened
you bet I upgraded the optics. I replaced the reject NX05 collimator with a selected factory-perfect one. I have also used NX01 optics, McFloods, etc.

Works great!

A.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
where did you aquire the "factory perfect" optic? do you live near the factory, or do you just have a lot and chose the best?

actually, i was refering to the "lens" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif is it still lexan, or is it crystal sapphire now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

or is the arc lens a special dimension that will not work with the others?

ab

Enlightened
I mean the optic is not a second. I have a large number of them here which I purchased directly from Future. I simply selected one that I really liked. I found that several of the collimators sent with the ARC grey kits were pretty poor. Rejects indeed!

As for the lens, the ARC grey kits I received did not include lenses. The light you see here has a mineral glass lens. Same one fits the Brinkmann Legend (not the LX).

A.

leddite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

and how did you know about durians?

[/ QUOTE ]

YUM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i love those.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Check out the serial number on this one (if you can't see it - it's "2003"). Since my last name is "Clark", it's the "First Year" of the "First <font color="blue">(and maybe only?)</font> Run" of the "McLux", and the "First <font color="blue">(and maybe only?)</font> Sale" of the "Grey Kits"...I think I'll dub it:

<font color="blue">"The '2003' McLarc"</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
fc92bf8e.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cooooll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
<font color="blue">"The McLarc"</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sweet! I guess I know where you got the little battery spacer to make that thing light up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Actually Darell I still don't have my diodes...

"Non-working display model"!!

Now - I do need another one of those spacers! Guess I need to email Don or Doug...recommendations?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Joe400 said:
Ok, here is one more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fc904a3d.jpg

fc904a39.jpg

Brushed finish with clickie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Just need to engrave the words <font color="#666666">"Porsche Design"</font> on it and it'll sell for $300 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, where'd you get a stainless steel body? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ab

Enlightened
Here are a few of the ARC greys I've been building recently. Many of these belong to fellow CPF'ers who have sent them up to be tuned up or built or refinished, etc. I got a very nice favour from a friend in the anodizing business when he agreed to anodize a few of these for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Here is a lineup:

ab-arc-greys-lined-up-off.jpg

Finishes are: (from left to right)

beadblasted body and tailcap, original HAIII bezel (white emitter)
satin finish dark blue-anodized body, tailcap and bezel (royal blue emitter)
beadblasted body and tailcap, dark blue-anodized bezel (royal blue emitter)
beadblasted body and tailcap, dark blue-anodized bezel (royal blue emitter)
"aged beadblasted" body, tailcap and bezel (white emitter)
gloss finish, silver-anodized body, tailcap and bezel (white emitter)
gloss finish, pewter-anodized body, tailcap and bezel (white emitter)
gloss finish, black-anodized body, tailcap and bezel (white emitter)

Here is the same lineup with a couple of these lights turned on:

ab-arc-greys-lined-up-on.jpg

Here are just those same two lights on a dark table:

ab-arc-greys-white-and-blue-small.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun with these!

A.

p.s. - my ARC grey kit offer is still open. I put a post over in B/S/T a couple of days ago: Anyone need their ARC grey kit or kits built up? The basic gist of it is if you're interested in getting your ARC grey kit or kits built up with all the upgrades, stripped and beadblasted, etc. please drop me an email or PM, etc. The best deal is "send me two ARC greys and I'll send you one back fully built with Q3H Luxeon & new collimator, tuned up, stripped and beadblast satin-finished, I'll keep the second kit of ARC grey parts as compensation." Or you can suggest some other trade, or I'll do all of the above on a $ basis if necessary. Of course the Flashaholic in me likes the trades option best! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ab

Enlightened
I have a good selection of them in selected LD and HD styles, as well as LD and HD Luxeon Stars (ie: mounted on heatsinks already) in Royal Blue.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.

p.s. - you can also try Wayne's (dat2zip) Sandwich Shop. I think he has them as well.

edit - looks like Bart was way ahead of me on this one. By all means please support dat2zip's sandwich shop. If you need a royal blue and he doesn't have it then let me know. Thanks! A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts