Groundbreaking New Thrower!!The new DEFT-edc LR

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not tested it with the Surefire optic. It most likely will have an increase but not double. Only one way to find out though. Want to send in your light to be modded?:)
I would love to have my LX2 turn into LX2-LR!
Sending PM to see if its feasible on my part.

yifu

Enlightened
Well I kind of said already. It is a light recycling technology that I developed along with the best of the best parts. The thread title is not meant to be marketing over hype. This is a genuine innovation not just for the flashlight industry but for the LED industry. With certain optics/LED combos I can achieve a close to 100% increase in intensity.
OMG. 100% increase? So you're saying effectively, the lumen/watt figure can double? Which means a U2 bin would do 300+ lumens/watt with the right optics? Isn't that beyond the theoretical LED efficiency? This is amazing... You should patent it and Cree would buy it off you for 10 million. :)

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG. 100% increase? So you're saying effectively, the lumen/watt figure can double? Which means a U2 bin would do 300+ lumens/watt with the right optics? Isn't that beyond the theoretical LED efficiency? This is amazing... You should patent it and Cree would buy it off you for 10 million. :)

100% increase in intensity (lux), not output (lumens).

yifu

Enlightened
100% increase in intensity (lux), not output (lumens).
I do understand, but since the hotspot area remains the same from the photos and the drive current remains at 1.4A, there must be an increase in flux output for the lux to increase by 100%, either that, or the old aspheric wasn't perfect and had SIGNIFICANT amounts of spill.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checking, you're aware how light recycling works, right? If not, then I'd recommend you look up the basics behind the light recycling technology he mentioned in his original post (the implementation that ma_sha mentioned should be easy to find and understand) to see where the increase in lux is coming from. Note how he said that with "certain" combinations he can get a 100% increase, while in the first post he's said the LR version gives only a 50% increase over the regular DEFT-edc (hah, "only" sounds like it's trivialising this accomplishment). Incidentally, when Michael tested Wavien's implementation he got around a 50% increase in lux from memory. I'm very keen to see how he's made it package-level though, since as he's noted it was very clunky.

I'd say that further cherry-picking to get the very best lens, lowest Vf and highest output LED, best implementation of Michael's recycling technology and so on would be how the additional 50% comes about. It's possible that he's also found a way to increase the efficiency of the LED itself beyond what he's already been doing, but then I find it strange that he wouldn't mention it at all.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do understand, but since the hotspot area remains the same from the photos and the drive current remains at 1.4A, there must be an increase in flux output for the lux to increase by 100%, either that, or the old aspheric wasn't perfect and had SIGNIFICANT amounts of spill.
Hotspot the same? Check. Drive current the same? Check. More flux? No. Problem with lens? No. Simply taking light that would have been wasted to the sides and redirecting it out of the package.

I'd say that further cherry-picking to get the very best lens, lowest Vf and highest output LED, best implementation of Michael's recycling technology and so on would be how the additional 50% comes about. It's possible that he's also found a way to increase the efficiency of the LED itself beyond what he's already been doing, but then I find it strange that he wouldn't mention it at all.

I have found a way to increase the efficiency of the LED package but that is not on display in this instance. It is as you say a confluence of things.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you never stop with the improvements. Will be very interested to see how you've managed to increase the LED efficiency if you ever disclose it to the public.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you never stop with the improvements. Will be very interested to see how you've managed to increase the LED efficiency if you ever disclose it to the public.
Well thanks. While it is nice to know that I can make a package that outperforms every manufacturer I would have to say that I am not as proud of that as I am the LR tech. The efficiency tech is simply a meat and potatoes approach to package design that really isn't all that novel. It just incorporates things that are not commercially viable in a market where lumens per dollar reigns.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Congratulations, Maestro! The LR dramatically outperforms the previous EDC which was already spectacular. I like the color rendering of this LR much better--it shows much more realistic colors and contrast. It's like you magically shmoooshed a bunch of tiny Photonic Energizer Bunnies down into this LR Black Hat, and they are splatting forcefully out onto those trees way off in the distance. Bravo, Maestro! Well worth the price.

The Coach

Enlightened
Got mine!!! Cool light. The beam takes a little getting used to, its different, and the GITD rings are a nice touch. The AW 2900 works fine in it. I'll get around to charging the Callies when I recover from the knife show. Good job Michael. :thumbsup:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine two nights ago and I am very impressed. The beam is tight, the throw is tremendous and the warmer XR-E really helps with the outdoor rendition. Now the only outstanding question is what I am actually going to with it. :ironic:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I received mine two nights ago and I am very impressed. The beam is tight, the throw is tremendous and the warmer XR-E really helps with the outdoor rendition. Now the only outstanding question is what I am actually going to with it. :ironic:

If you walk where you don't want to get light in people's homes and oncoming cars, these lights with sharp edges make that easy. Then there the benefit of seeing wild animals and/or thugs/hoodlums/general miscreants that you want more time to avoid.

samuraishot

Enlightened
If you walk where you don't want to get light in people's homes and oncoming cars, these lights with sharp edges make that easy.

I just used my DEFT-EDC about 30 min ago to do exactly as described above and it works as exactly as mentioned.

nc_hooper

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a used EDC LR fromhttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?81472-ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond ShineOnYouCrazy Diamond. Will be very interested to see how it compares to my existing Aspheric - a Dereelight with a XR-E driven at 1.5 amps. (Not an apples to apples comparison because the Dereelight lens is considerably larger - but saabluster is the expert on optimization) Planning to get an 1.4 amp XR-E 900 pill from Nailbender once they become available so I can run it with one cell (current pill requires two). I think the existing pill is a XR-E 1000. Not sure on the Lux for the Dereelight, but it out throws all my LEDs except my TK70 and a XM-L driven at 3.1 amp with a FM 3" reflector/head.

Have discovered a very good use for aspherics - lighting up channel markers while boating. Aspherics are ideal for this - great throw and minimum spill retains your night vision.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Impressed Michael. Used my DEFT EDC LR last night...cant believe the amount of throw from this little guy....I walk about four miles at night and it is very nice to have such a powerful light that can also fit in your pocket!

Thanks again.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking forward to testing out the Deft EDC LR against the Deft EDC and other aspheric combinations etc.