Grrr- trick to getting stubborn twisty switches to engage?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this issue on 3 lights, my Muyshondt Mako, the CMG Infinity Ultra and a DS Fire~fly
I try to screw on the head only to have the sound and disgusting feeling of the threads skipping, rather than engaging. Does this mean I have to break in the threads or is there a technique to get them to go in the first time. I never had this problem with large diameter lights...
Thanks

SARLights

Newly Enlightened
Try pressing down on the head as you twist it, sometimes the threads don't engage if they aren't in position exactly right. A little(very little) amount of lubricant might help as well.

Cheers

-SARLights

carrot

Flashaholic
Is this when you screw the heads back on after a battery swap?

If so how I screw the head back on is I spin it in the opposite direction while pressing down. When you feel the click of the thread ends slipping off each other, spin the head the right way to screw it down.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this when you screw the heads back on after a battery swap?

If so how I screw the head back on is I spin it in the opposite direction while pressing down. When you feel the click of the thread ends slipping off each other, spin the head the right way to screw it down.

This.

I've made this a habit, so I don't accidentally cross-thread the threads on a light.

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
I had this same issue with the Mako, while I owned it, and found the method that Carrot described as an easy way around it.

It's a problem in lights whose O-ring becomes compressed before the threads engage. I find Surefire's two-stage tailcaps from lights like the A2 and the L1 equally frustrating to screw on.