GT date ended

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NYC Flushing Meadows get-together

Catapult, that's a bummer, but go have some fun at your get-together anyway. Even if only one other person shows up, it'll be a good experience! The first get-together I had was this past summer with TOB9595, who happens to live close to me. It was a blast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Catapult

Enlightened

The conditions were pretty good. Clear skies mean no refelected light from the atmosphere, the moon does not come into view until later that evening, so there are less light to obstruct the nightime, and no rain. The only thing that was not as desirable was the cold.

I figured since the number of people to be attendning dropped right before the gathering, no one is likly to show. The CPF access problem may have prevented any posting of last minute notices of inablitlity to attend. I still went anyway because as the coordinator of this event, I have to go. I was right, unfortunately, and no one else showed. Kind of a bummer, huh? I did have a pizza and a soda and watched a little bit of the Jets game at the pizzaria, so it was okay. Nice place by the way.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Catapult, well, feasting on some NYC pizza is always a good call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry to hear about the no-shows, though. Don't let it discourage you! You're probably right about the CPF problem impacting things, just bad timing, that's all.

Pick another date and try again! Announce it at least a couple weeks in advance, and mount a publicity (harassment?) campaign to make sure anyone who's a candidate to attend knows it's coming! You'll end up with a great event.

robk

Enlightened

Sorry to hear no one showed. I'm stuck in Florida (it's not that bad) but I LOVE NY! I grew up there, went to college in Brooklyn in the early 70's. If I was living up there I would have shown up this afternoon. But, I'm living in this swamp now and NY is a couple of hundred of bucks away plus hotel! What I miss most is Canal street, where most of the surplus electronic stores from the WTC area relocated to. Plan it again, good luck next time!
Rob

ufokillerz

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
robk said:
Sorry to hear no one showed. I'm stuck in Florida (it's not that bad) but I LOVE NY! I grew up there, went to college in Brooklyn in the early 70's. If I was living up there I would have shown up this afternoon. But, I'm living in this swamp now and NY is a couple of hundred of bucks away plus hotel! What I miss most is Canal street, where most of the surplus electronic stores from the WTC area relocated to. Plan it again, good luck next time!
Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

where are these surplus electronics stores? i'm a block from canal st =)

balticvid

Newly Enlightened

Gee. I forgot about Canal Street. I haven't been there in years. In NY there are sections for nearly everything. I know that Safes are right off Canal. Must be flashlights somewhere down there. Near the bridge is the jewelery exchanges. .

Ray if you live near by, maybe Steve's electronics or some
other outfit might steer you to the right outlet. Steve's is near the tunnel exit circle on the uptown side of Canal
On second thought Steve's mostly sells TV.s. but you could ask.

Ray..I'm the old buzzard that grabbed one of your L4's.
It still works by the way.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

balticvid

Newly Enlightened

Catapult

To bad now one showed up.
I'm sure we will all get together in the future.
I'll buy you a pizza (slice) when we do.
Thanks for the effort.

(Maybe 2 slices)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear no one showed up. I think four factors led to that.

1. Not enough advance notice. There wasn't even a week between when you set the date and the actual gathering date. I'm sure with more time, some people could have rescheduled. Maybe even change the date of that birthday party. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. The DNS problem probably kept a bunch of people from reading the post in time. Personally, once I lost contact with CPF, I didn't even know if the meeting it was still on.

3. Location, location, location. Personally I think Flushing Meadow is a bit far for most NY'ers who do not live in Queen. If you're not driving, the only way to get there is on the 7 train. (edit: I just reread the 1st post. You want me to take a bus too?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) On Sunday, that means ALL LOCAL STOPS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif And that's not counting getting to 42nd street to transfer. I guess that wouldn't stop diehard flashaholics, but I'm a newbie with only a couple of 5mm LEDs. I don't have anything fancy, so I would only want to come by if convenient, to check out what good lights really look like. If you set it in Manhattan it would be easier for most people to get to, including NJ flashaholics.

4. You scheduled it opposite a Jet game?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've never been to one of these so what are the requirements? Do we need access to somebodies home? Are we looking to have certain stores open? What arrangements need to be made?

ufokillerz

Enlightened

lets do this in battery park and the west side highway =x dont worry about cops, only the park rangers are down there =)

ftumch33

Enlightened

sorry to hear about the get together. I used to live 2 blocks from flushing meadows. I`m sure there are other parks in queens you guys can shoot for next time. Flushing meadows is pretty huge, there IS crime in the park , although not every day and/or night but there is little police or park ranger presence. Needless to say you will probably get stopped and questioned if you`re caught in the park after night but I`m sure any decent LEO would in fact be at amazement over the collection of lights assembled and even ask where they can get lights such as the ones you`ll bring with you.( and dare I say be transformd into a flashahoic). As for me, I now reside in Bayside, not far from Flushing Meadows and can tell you there is the Bayside Marina, Kissena Park ( just next to the cemetary on Parsons blvd) and a few others I can`t place or recall right now as far as parks go . I`d have to say Kissena park is probably a better bet , seeing as it`s a small park , not brightly lit, very dense with trees, and not too far from Main St. Flushing to hold the get together. I don`t see it happening too soon though with the holidays coming on quick. The only thing is it`s a residential area and being a New Yorker, I would have to say that someone might wind up calling the cops on us. It`s sad but that`s how it is , that many people are scared of numerous things in NY ( can`t say that I blame them), and paranoid to boot. Too bad we cant get inside a high school at night with no lights, that I think would be the darkest place to show off your lights.

balticvid

Newly Enlightened

I was brought up in Queens and Manhattan.
When you guys decide to have your get together I'd like to DRIVE my car all the way. Their would be no problem doing that.
As long as we have a place to park the cars, it's easy, and much more efficient. Especially coming home at night. I don't want to wait for a bus. I'll park my BMW in any legal parking space in a residential neighborhood.
We can car pool it from Jersey.

Come to think of it, would their be an area or park within proximity if the Varrenzano bridge? (Did I spell that right?)
That would be really convenient from Jersey. Near the belt parkway maybe?

I'm just suggesting some ideas for thought.

mvario

Newly Enlightened

Hi all,

Sorry, I'm currently on a job up in New Hampshire and for the last 2 weeks was at a bed & breakfast with no internet and no phone, so my only internet access was at the client site. If all goes well I should be back in NYC next week.

Catapult

Enlightened

Sinjz, you sound like you don't like traveling on the trains. I think in NYC, for most people without a car, travel by train is an everyday task. You can look at it as your worst enemy, or your best friend. I think the latter will make your trip a bit more pleaseant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There was notice on the first NYC thread that it might be scheduled on the 9th, but the official thread did not pop up until 6 days before the date. I know the notice was late, but I did not want to push it any further, as the temperature is dropping already.

After going there twice, I've been able to refine, and shorten the mass transit directions, and four out of the five trains will take you there without the need to transfer to a bus. Two of those trains are express, even on weekends. For drivers, in addition to the free regular crowded street parking, there is municiple parking: but ya gotta pay via those wretched munimeters. Parking in NYC ain't free no more, buddy. So if we ever decide to go there, transportation would be less of a hassle next time.

Wow, balticvid, a BMW?!

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Catapult, I have no problems with the subway. I take them all the time. In fact I take them so often I already know how long this trip will take me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also know that the E and F are ONLY express in Queens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was only trying to say that a Manhattan location might be easier for everybody to get to. Not a big deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW was ufokillerz's suggestion of Battery Park a sarcastic one? I admit I haven't been down there late at night recently, but is it really not doable? Before the meeting, we can scout Canal Street and find out where these stores are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, I don't really remember surplus electronic stores in the WTC area. Are you sure you're not thinking about 'Indian Town'?

DaveT

Enlightened

Sinjz, prior to construction of the WTC, it was the electronics store district (NPR or WNYC had a radio story about it several months ago). They were all uprooted when the WTC construction began - I guess some moved to Canal Street, but I don't think there's been a "district" relocation for electronics stuff.

Catapult

Enlightened

I think Battery Park might be too close to the majority of the city lights, and in a cloudy night, if we factor in reflected light from the clouds, it may not be as dark, which could pretty much render single LED lights useless. But the only way we'll know is to go down there and see for ourselves. It is worth a try?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys might also try Madison Square Park, which is just a couple blocks uptown of the Flatiron building. I used to work around there, and remember that park being pretty dark. Even if you can't walk into the park, you could easily shine the lights in there to see how they perform.

Or take the ferry between the WFC and Hoboken a couple times, sit on the top deck, and shine the lights out over the water! I'll bet that would be fun. They turn the lights on the upper deck out during the run across the river.

As far as any Nichia lights, and even some of the 1-watters, I'd suggest trying those indoors, in a dark room.