Guns, Lights and ... Knives???

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rifles I understand. Handguns are pretty useless unless at point blank against an unarmed assailant... or if your an Olympian or Secret Service. I guess I do understand collectors and that handguns provide some joy, in that they are somehow fun.

But flashlights and knives of all kinds are always utility, among other things... they're also fun, and often art.

I am very interested to know your level of knowledge and experience on/of firearms, to back up your statement about handguns, because it certainly differs from my experience.

While I agree that generally a rifle or shotgun is much preferred (however not always) to a handgun, I can carry my CCW handgun every day, concealed.

I've yet to figure out how to carry any of my rifles or shotguns daily, concealed, and they tend to get noticed otherwise.

Perhaps you can offer some of your knowledge and experience on firearms to enlighten us on how to do that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hopefully completely gone. He was a miserable troll who picked fights with literally anyone who replied to him.
He was also night hoodie after Greta banned him but she allowed the chillin name back in. Yet night hoodie is still banned.

I've never been one to conceal carry because I don't have enough sense to not pull a John Wayne if I see a fellow beating on his girl kinda thing. But I respect those that do conceal carry. (Or open for that matter).

I carry pocket knives as tools but do have self protection devices on me or near me.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
He was also night hoodie after Greta banned him but she allowed the chillin name back in. Yet night hoodie is still banned.

I've never been one to conceal carry because I don't have enough sense to not pull a John Wayne if I see a fellow beating on his girl kinda thing. But I respect those that do conceal carry.

I carry pocket knives as tools but do have self protection devices on me or near me.
I like to wear tee shirts,, and I don't like to open carry..
CC is more for when you are on your back being pummeled in an attack. Feeling like you're gonna to die,, a jab or two with something sharp will get the assailant off you in a hurry.

No running into a battle like in the movies :grin2:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never been one to conceal carry because I don't have enough sense to not pull a John Wayne if I see a fellow beating on his girl kinda thing. But I respect those that do conceal carry. (Or open for that matter).

By percentage, few Americans take advantage of CCW

It is a huge responsibility and should never be taken lightly

I have held my CCW permit/s since 1985, and while no expert (far from that), I do consider myself a serious student

I agree with you about knives, they are tools and not for self-protection, at least for me

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I CC when traveling to large urban settings known to have "social" (Jeff Cooper parlance) situations. I don't CC otherwise.
There were many years that I only carried occasionally

Then in the mid-1990's, the sister of a woman I was dating was abducted, raped, and then killed

It is now believed that multiple people passed the scene of her abduction, while it was taking place, but due to the size of the killer, no one intervened

After this happened, I truly began to take my Concealed Carry seriously after that

So, your life experiences might be different then mine, but as for me, I will Conceal Carry at EVERY opportunity

Attachments

• Redacted Article.01.jpg
    Redacted Article.01.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 39

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I CC when traveling to large urban settings known to have "social" (Jeff Cooper parlance) situations. I don't CC otherwise.
Have spent close to a decade at my 3rd shift job. Most nights, boring; routine. Almost nothing unexpected happens. In Winter, I check the weather reports to see if a snow storm might roll in while I'm at work. If it might, I park parallel to the exit gate, instead of further in and closer to the building doors. But that's not something unexpected. That's a might-happen sort of thing.

Two years ago, an ASMR-tist I was subscribed to at the time posted one of her rare, multi-character role-play videos. Now these are a very special treat. It takes her months of editing. The acting isn't the hard part. It's the editing that is insane! I had been subscribed to her for a very long time. Years upon years. Watched the video, enjoyed it. Left a detailed comment. Now she's the type who only occasionally replies to comments because her subscriber count is HUGE! When she does, it's usually one reply per subscriber. Again, if you even get a reply from her. She really enjoyed my comment. We actually had a back-and-forth conversation in her comments section that lasted about an hour! It was amazing! And, literally seconds after it was over....

The fire alarm went off! It wasn't a false alarm either! One of the smoke detectors did its job, properly! This turned into the biggest disaster I've ever experienced at that job. Not for the reasons you might be thinking. At that time, we had vehicle patrol along with security at the lobby desk. I radio the guy to come in immediately to cover the desk, to inform FDNY when they arrive of the situation. Which I planned on running to that area of the building to visually check for signs of a fire. Takes the guy nearly 15 minutes to get to the desk. Should have taken him literally 2 minutes at the absolute most. FDNY still not there. He walks in and apologizes. Telling me He fell asleep behind the wheel of the parked security SUV after I radioed him to come in.

Yes, I wanted to tear his head off! The only reason why he wasn't fired the next day is because my manager informed me that he had put in his two weeks and was quitting. At that moment though, I had more pressing concerns. Ran to the floor where the fire was supposedly. Turns out some worthless excuse for a human-being decided she wasn't going to follow the rules. So, she brought a toaster to work. (Not supposed to have cooking appliances on that floor, and she knew it. Didn't care.) Yup, she put bread into an old, malfunctioning toaster that doesn't shut off properly. She forgot she was using it. It started smoking, and set off the alarm. When I spoke to her, she was very vague, blamed another employee, and refused to give me her name. All of that from the time the alarm went off (minus my reckless and lazy co-worker's actions) went into my report. Client used my staggering 5-page report (usually 1 pager per shift) to get her fired! Good riddance. I came back to the desk in time to deal with an arriving FDNY crew. My co-worker looked like a deer in headlights.

Keep in mind, all this literally took place seconds after I wrapped up my most enjoyable personal experience on YouTube, ever! Half-way through my shift. By the time it was over and the report was written (RIP my red pen), my relief walked in. Four hours! Emergency situations can literally break out, anytime, anywhere. It's good to conceal carry if you suspect trouble might break out. But it's vital to CC everyday because you literally never know when trouble could break out. Everyday means, you're always ready.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emergency situations can literally break out, anytime, anywhere. It's good to conceal carry if you suspect trouble might break out. But it's vital to CC everyday because you literally never know when trouble could break out. Everyday means, you're always ready.
Good story & point. If I lived in NYC I'd CC daily, but in my small town most already are despite the absence of crime so I don't feel the need. The biggest threat is loose livestock...

3_gun

Enlightened
Sadly in America NO WHERE is safe as you would like it to be. You can & should take steps to avoid a bad day but that day may come regardless. I don't live in fear, I live prepared.

CCW everywhere allowed by law & at times not allowed if I felt the risk was to great & I couldn't avoid it. 1st aid kit/flashlight/knife/power bank in the car, day pack, home, job & go bag. Never w/o a weeks worth of daily meds/food/water. Gear (seasonal) in the car for at least 24hr if stuck or broke down. Map(s) to back up GPS. Keep the tank above 1/4 in good weather & top off at 3/4 when it's bad or headed that way. Maintenance gets done at regular intervals & repairs will still pop up. $500 cash at home in small bills + $50 in dollar coins in the day pack, go bag & car. And with all my planning I am sure there is something that may/will happen that will find a flaw or weak point in my preparedness. Still I'd like to think I'm in OK shape to keep a bad day from becoming my last day

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly in America NO WHERE is safe as you would like it to be. You can & should take steps to avoid a bad day but that day may come regardless. I don't live in fear, I live prepared.

CCW everywhere allowed by law & at times not allowed if I felt the risk was to great & I couldn't avoid it. 1st aid kit/flashlight/knife/power bank in the car, day pack, home, job & go bag. Never w/o a weeks worth of daily meds/food/water. Gear (seasonal) in the car for at least 24hr if stuck or broke down. Map(s) to back up GPS. Keep the tank above 1/4 in good weather & top off at 3/4 when it's bad or headed that way. Maintenance gets done at regular intervals & repairs will still pop up. $500 cash at home in small bills + $50 in dollar coins in the day pack, go bag & car. And with all my planning I am sure there is something that may/will happen that will find a flaw or weak point in my preparedness. Still I'd like to think I'm in OK shape to keep a bad day from becoming my last day
I keep a $50 bill, and a $20 bill hidden in my wallet. The latter for use, the former for bribe money. On 9/11, the subway was shutdown. If you made it onto a bus, you were hella luck. Lived in this city since 1979. Literally never seen them as packed as on that day. Some folks got into cabs. Those who did, used money to bribe the drivers. Also, cabbies who immigrated from other countries have this weird outlook on American bills. Old, crinkled, faded bills; they won't take them! They act as though they are worthless! So, $50 bill is brand new; carefully folded only three times. Crisp, clean; the type cabbies will happily accept!

$100 bill hidden in my work-bag. Along with a 1/10 of an ounce gold coin. At home, plenty of cash stashed away along with some junk silver coins.