Happy Birthday Jarheads

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a celebration of the xtreme *haircut* isn't it ?

Jahn
wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've never heard of the term jarhead, but when I looked it up, it seems to have something to do with military personnel.

Semper fi also seems to have a military meaning, but what meaning that is I have yet to discover.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
I've never heard of the term jarhead, but when I looked it up, it seems to have something to do with military personnel.

Semper fi also seems to have a military meaning, but what meaning that is I have yet to discover.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig,
"Jarhead" has had a few variations in definition over the 11 or so score of years that the United States Marines have served our great nation. I believe that the current vernacular is the reference to the shape of a Marine's facial and cranial profile. Although, obviously, humans come in a variety of physical attributes, the public has accepted a default image of a physically fit military man to have a robust, stout neck. Coupled with the "close-cropped" haircut mandated by Regulation 35-10 and the heavily-starched, blocky baseball-cap styled cap worn with the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) or "fatiques", a field or working, non-dress attire (aka, the "salad suit" in reference to the vegetation print for the jungle version) it gives the facial and cranial profile a distinctive jar or lantern appearance.

The term "Semper Fi" is short for Semper Fidelis meaning "always faithful."

"Seldom scorned and vilified are those always faithful." British Field Marshal Montgomery.

Latest posts