Has Anyone Received a Lummi Order Recently? 18 Months and Waiting...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kuku dd series (38dd, 40dd, 44dd, quantum)

and really good news, Steve re-engineered the quantum and located the
qtc pill at the head, not the negative end cap, so the action.... which was already smooth,
is now buttery smooth. big improvement...plus the battery now falls out, no need to 'bump' it out
to overcome the magnet

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The discussion is Lummi flashlights. Please keep on topic. You can find Steve Ku flashlight discussion threads elsewhere on CPF. :)

Specialsteve

Newly Enlightened
Hi I currently have the same problems with Rob.
I had ordered 2 years ago. Previously never had problems with him.
But now 30 e-mails with delays and excuses.
Although Rob always respond directly but always with a new delay.
I am so disappointed by the man :(

cactux

Newly Enlightened
I do not quite understand how this guy was able to get all these peoples money. If you use PayPal you have some kind of buyer protection (I had used in the past an it works), if you pay with credit card you can dispute such transaction and get your money back.

Hi I currently have the same problems with Rob.
I had ordered 2 years ago. Previously never had problems with him.
But now 30 e-mails with delays and excuses.
Although Rob always respond directly but always with a new delay.
I am so disappointed by the man :(

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically Rob's delivery times exceed the 45 days permitted by PayPal to raise a dispute, so the buyer protection is worthless in this case. I would imagine that for a lot of niche, custom items, 45 days is probably insufficient.

cactux

Newly Enlightened
I guess buyers shall be aware of the kind of protection offered by their Credit Institutions/PayPal/Etc before buying X items. It is like buying some stuff on the internet and paying with checks or money order (Zero protection). Do not get me wrong, there is ZERO excuse for this guys attitude.

Typically Rob's delivery times exceed the 45 days permitted by PayPal to raise a dispute, so the buyer protection is worthless in this case. I would imagine that for a lot of niche, custom items, 45 days is probably insufficient.

Last edited:

blackfly

Enlightened
I do not quite understand how this guy was able to get all these peoples money. If you use PayPal you have some kind of buyer protection (I had used in the past an it works), if you pay with credit card you can dispute such transaction and get your money back.

When I got ripped off by Rob I didn't dispute with PayPal because he always answered my emails promptly & promised to send the light out within two weeks. Also, I had ordered successfully from him in the past. Since these were custom lights that were made to order I didn't dispute. Rob would report that some part was out of stock that was needed to complete my order. Once the 45 day period to dispute had gone by I knew I would never get the light I paid for but I kept emailing him for updates anyway. The excuses could have gone on forever. I initially had confirmed with him that the light I ordered was in stock & ready to ship. After our absurdly long string of email exchanges of me asking him where my light was, he finally admitted that he had inadvertently sold it to someone else. That was the point when I asked for a refund and he said he could not refund me due to experiencing hard times financially. So, I changed my order to match other items that he reported having in stock & that were ready to ship. The cycle began all over again with the excuses & promises. That is the pattern of dishonesty Rob has repeated with many members of this forum that he has stolen from.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Mike, long time no see :wave: Another point about PP protection. If you are buying a custom made product I understand you have no protection via payments made with paypal.

cactux

Newly Enlightened
Delivery of the item shall be covered. If the item is not functional that is another story. Exceeding the 45 days is playing with fire. If you really want to shout down this guys business, you may consider getting together and send a formal complain to Google Wallet. They will evaluate the risk and they may close his account.
If you cut his payment methods, he is done.
Hi Mike, long time no see :wave: Another point about PP protection. If you are buying a custom made product I understand you have no protection via payments made with paypal.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know that, but then I saw cactux's comment so maybe the protection is valid. Doesn't matter to me now because my payment was made through PayPal and that account has been shut down anyway. I think that Lummi as a business is bankrupt, and the EU probably have all sorts of 'human rights' restrictions against making a claim against the estate of a business owner. I'll assume that the money is gone, but be pleasantly surprised if I do receive my order sometime within the next 12 months.

exquzmwa

Enlightened
Just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding Lummi. In the past I had good luck with him, however, in the last purchase (if you want to call it that - appears it was likely a donation I made over a year ago) he has completely failed to deliver and the last two emails I sent asking why the very thing I was one of the first 20 on the list to purchase (the new Wee AGs he was making last year) were already showing up on sites for sale used yet I received nothing (literally, not even a response to the last two emails) . I would not buy anything from him or any of his products again after this. Still hoping he turns out not to be a thief, but it doesn't look good.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether if anyone who have any previous positive buying experience with this fraud artist in the past or a new customer thinking about buying one of his lights, NO ONE should even give him the slightest bit of trust that he will or intend to keep up any honourable relationship, even if you are buying from within UK. This conman will have NO INTENTION to fulfil his part of the bargain, be it to send you the light(s) that you have purchased, or to issue you with a full/partial refund. He will tell you all sort of lies / excuses (e.g. battery supply issue etc) to delay shipping you your light and will plea financial problems to refuse you any refund.

This guy will sell his granny for a dollar...too bad as he could make more financial gains if he were to honourable here, but instead chose the sleazy and underhanded way to steal and cheat for a living...I wondered if his family is proud of him. Just how weak are the UK law to protect a general consumers from this fraudster I don't know...may he get what is coming to him

cactux

Newly Enlightened
How can the law do something about it, if nobody takes legalaction against this guy?

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just recovering from back surgery having fallen off my chair in astonishment, but Rob shipped my order, and even popped an extra 14250 cell to compensate for the fact that the XM-L2 light engines are now £5 cheaper than when I ordered in April. The XM-L2 light engines really are a lovely piece of kit compared to the standard light engines and much less likely to drop out accidentally when replacing the cells.

He has got himself into a pickle with all the unfulfilled orders, evidenced by the fact that he had to ask me what the rest of my order was. Hopefully, he can fulfil every order eventually.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just recovering from back surgery having fallen off my chair in astonishment, but Rob shipped my order, and even popped an extra 14250 cell to compensate for the fact that the XM-L2 light engines are now £5 cheaper than when I ordered in April. The XM-L2 light engines really are a lovely piece of kit compared to the standard light engines and much less likely to drop out accidentally when replacing the cells.

He has got himself into a pickle with all the unfulfilled orders, evidenced by the fact that he had to ask me what the rest of my order was. Hopefully, he can fulfil every order eventually.

You're based in the UK, and so is he. You're one of the few customers who could easily have taken legal action against him if you had wished.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, www.lummi.co.uk has been suspended. Looks like the business has been wound up I'm afraid. My apologies to those that didn't receive items they had paid for, I guess I was just one of the lucky ones (or, as Monocrom says, one of the few that could cause him trouble).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hate seeing small businesses fail. (Especially those founded by enthusiasts.)

Unfortunately, Rob brought all of this on himself. You can't do what he did, then just pretend none of it happened; and expect to conduct business as usual after that. Even if we accept all of the reasons Rob gave us regarding suppliers who screwed him over, it doesn't explain a certain Sprint-run of lights that Rob sold off. Lights that many of his customers waited a long time for and had already paid for. You don't sell items that belong to someone else, and then pocket the money.

As for legal issues, I'm not an attorney. Anyone outside the UK who is serious about legally going after Rob for compensation, just realize it's not going to be easy and will be time-consuming. Still, for some it's going to be worth it. No one should be able to get away with outright theft from numerous individuals, solely because that person lives in another country. You pay someone to create something for you, they do, then turn around and sell that item to someone else and pocket the money from both the first buyer who received nothing; as well as the 2nd buyer who received property that doesn't belong to the Seller.

Anyone outside of the UK should consult with a large legal firm. Preferably one with either an office in the UK, or an attorney on their payroll fully knowledgeable regarding UK civil laws and regulations. Especially concerning transactions in which buyer and seller are in two separate nations. That would be the best thing to do. Members cheated by Rob, and happen to have family members or very close friends living in the UK, sholud ask those individuals to help them out by having them consult with a local attorney who can answer the basic procedural questions about bringing a case against Rob.

Since this whole sorted mess, I've run into a surprising number of individuals outside of CPF who have discovered Lummi and asked if anyone has experience with their lights. Mostly new members to Jon's EDCF site. But there was someone on WUS (Watch U Seek forums [biggest site for watch enthusiasts and collectors]). A couple of individuals on the official Spyderco forums on Spyderco's website. Couple more on BladeForums. Not sure, but I believe there was even some interest on TPI (Total Protection Interactive.... and that forum site is basically dead except for a literal handful of die-hard, long-time, members who refuse to quit and just pretty much chat back and forth with each other through written posts).

Yeah, good old Mono gets around.

I'd find posts made by various members on those various forums.... Honestly, I PM them and tell them to stay away. Then, I give them a link to this topic so they'll understand why I gave them that advice. Don't misunderstand, I'm not bragging about all the money I've cost Rob in lost customers and thus lost "revenue." (Or, more opportunities to potentially cheat customers.)

Rob cheated himself out of those customers. Had he done the right thing, and honestly he had numerous opportunities to address the issues being brought up, apologize, and then do right by those customers who paid him but received nothing but excuses and the runaround. Had he done the right thing.... I and any other CPFer who goes to other sites would have given a whole-hearted recommendation to those asking, "Anyone have experience with Lummi?" Thus generating more actual revenue for Rob, which would have allowed him to keep his site open. Once again, Rob brought all of this on himself. Even on the internet, reputations count for a lot. Rob chose to flush his good name down a dirty toilet quite awhile ago.

Last edited:

M.TEX

Enlightened
his website still up...and he did answer my question about flashlight in stock....

but knowing what he did here, I can't risk to send him my money...
maybe paypal could cover the cost in case don't work well...

I love his work to bad I can not trust him....