Health update

paulr

Flashaholic
Ouch. I hope you can find a good treatment that solves this problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

lymph

Enlightened
Wow, sorry to see that. I've had a few stones - got a couple sitting up in my kidney right now. Nothing's worse, pain-wise.

I've only been able to pass one in my life - the other two had to be removed or blasted apart. I'm afraid the ones I have inside now are going to eventually need extraction. Not pleasant any way it happens!

My doc said that the latest studies show that increased calcium intake might help -- it binds up the oxylate in your gut so less of it gets into the bloodstream and then kidneys. This might be useful info for you if you have calcium oxylate stones like I do.

Best of luck.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Can you avoid getting stones by drinking more fluid? also would it also depend on the fluid, i.e water vs Mt dew or milk as an axample.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can make it harder for stones to form by a few methods. For example, if it's a uric acid stone or oxalate stone, both substances have diets you can follow to keep the concentration lower. For some substances, there are drugs to keep the concentration down (eg, allopurinol for uric acid). I believe increased water intake is usually (always?) a help as well. Mt Dew would be bad -- highly caffeinated, so it's doing the reverse of what you wanted.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I have been on a special diet for the last 6 months. I try to drink as much, mostly water, as I can. I am also taking Hydrochlorothiazide which is a water pill among other things. So far nothing has helped me.
It seems that the Doctor is leaning toward Distil renal tubular acidosis which leads to Nephrocalcinosis. I have many of the symptons including faigue, weakness, decreased alertness, increased rate of breathing, kidney stones (of course), muscle cramps, bloody urine (of course also attributed to the kdney stones), pain in flank or back ( I have hurt there for the last year ), irregular heartbeat (notice it sometimes), bone pain (arthiritis has developed in my back and my back now has a curve in it). Now all the test are not over yet so the final verdict is not in yet. It could be something totaly different. I need more test but right now it will have to wait until I am financialy able. Been out of work most of this month and much of the year but am hoping to make a go of it next week. Figure I will load up on pain killers and grin and bear it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif. Dont see how I can hurt anymore than I do now and if I get sick then my crew will just have to slow down for me. Wish me luck and thanks for all the thoughts and advise.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your update is inspirational to me.

This may be simplistic but have you ever done any research on drinking distilled water for kidney stones?

I will continue to pray for you and yours.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
LifeNRA,I have a suggestion.I've learned ALOT over the years about different types of water for bodybuilding.One of the big problems with bodybuilders is the old school thought of drinking distilled water before a contest.I'm going somewhere with this so hang on.What happens is that the b.b.'s are already depleted of vital minerals.Well minerals go from a "point" of high concentration to low.Well ditilled water is VOID of minerals.So as the water flows throw your kidneys,the distilled water acts like a MAGNET to minerals.Since minerals go from high to low they go into the water and are flushed out.This causes b.b.'s to cramp because it washes all of the minerals out of the body .YOU must drink a minimum of 1 gallon preferably 2 gallons.No it's not easy and you will pee like a race horse.At the very least this will cause no harm.At best it will wash some of the deposites out before they form.Again,this won't work NEARLY as well with tap,bottled,and definitely not spring water.Give it a try.I'll bet you'll notice a difference!Plus its cheap.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I have tried the distilled water but noticed no change. I had read where it helped others though. And believe me I drink a lot of water everyday. I drink so much that I am not even hungry sometimes. Appreciate all the thoughts and advise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
LifeNRA,

I just posted in response to Lightchucker's description of the hell he's been going through and then I saw this thread about the hell you're going through and I've copy/pasted that post to your thread, even though it is against the rules. I apologize to CPF moderators but in this case I feel it is justified.

One of the most neglected sources of pain relief is hypnosis; it's been shown to be effective in treating many different kinds of pain including back pain and cancer pain. Have you ever tried working with a qualified hypnotherapist who is experienced in using hypnosis for pain relief? If you haven't you at least owe it to yourself to look into it, especially since the only side effect from hypnotherapy is a reduction in funds to buy more lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Here are a couple of articles:

Hypnosis for chronic pain relief

Hypnosis relieves cancer pain

Brightnorm

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Appreciate the links. Would not think there would be a hypnotherapist any where near here though. Would not do me any good anyway to be honest. My reduction in funds have gone beyond not be able to buy more lights to having to sell off nearly all of the ones I had. Must get back on my feet financialy before anything else can be done. Thanks for the links though.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
I know how hard it is to not be overcome with depression. CPF has helped me more than they know and I am thankful that so many good people can be found in one place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you mention this. My contact with CPF has provided a nice release from some "serious blues" (more like blacks...). I'll be thinking about you two.