Latest Windows Update 'bricked' my laptop

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

So furious right now,
did the latest Windows update for 11, now nothing works on my computer. nothing!
Cannot go into Control Panel, clicking on Task Manager to see what's running does nothing.
System Restore, which is never suggested, did nothing to help the problem.

It's not as if people have an option not install Windows updates, Microsoft will someway force you to.

Beyond furious

>> On a Windows 10 system right now...

________
edit: I don't download anything, so it wasn't some DRM issue etc.
Use CCleaner daily, have for years.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Chance, what do you mean?

I changed my avatar, then back again months ago..

3_gun

Enlightened
That's why I still use W7 for the most part. Nothing I need to do that doesn't work just fine on 7. My laptop runs XP, works fine, just a bit slow like me in the morning. I've never been one that chased the newest thing/flavor of the day so most if not all of the tech stuff I use is just a bit dated, like me

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That's why I still use W7 for the most part. Nothing I need to do that doesn't work just fine on 7. My laptop runs XP, works fine, just a bit slow like me in the morning. I've never been one that chased the newest thing/flavor of the day so most if not all of the tech stuff I use is just a bit dated, like me
Been using Windows 7 myself too for the longest time.
It just works. I've noticed that Updates of all kinds lately are just trouble.
Same here. I have no compelling reason to update to Windows 10. All the software I use works fine on Windows 7. If I update, I'd have to reinstall all my programs from scratch. I'm also sure some of the older stuff from my XP or Win98 days probably won't work on 10.

Windows 7 is plenty stable for me. I've had my machine running for 234+ days and counting with no need to reboot:

1689880495338.png

It's a good idea to image your drive from time to time, and store the image (plus the software to restore it) on a portable hard drive (or a USB drive if the image fits). If Windows update hoses your computer, just reformat the boot drive, and put the saved image back.

Many years ago, the friend who built my first two computers (read cheap) was a Windows Guy. Sometime later he called me and says he was done with Windows. He was tired of searching for updates, patches, drivers etc. He was going to purchase an Apple. I followed his lead, and not being computer workings savvy, I've been happy with the choice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few years ago I told one of my interns my 012 gamer had never been online after installing Windows 7. He said "what good is a computer if you don't use the internet?"

Not long after that the company internet died and the head guy sent everybody in the office home. I had provided a backup hard drive to save our project records on to the intern in case that happened and the server was offline. He said "now I understand how a computer can be used without internet" and pulls out the backup device to keep working.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Update:

Put aside my laptop from the op for a couple weeks.
Decided to fire it back up and see what I could do myself,, I was certain it was software, not hardware problem.
So I dug into Windows 11 as deep as I could to turn Off this and that,, thinking it was something with the security aspect of win 11.
This and going into disk management to clean up whatever I could,
...got it functioning, barely.

Fast forward to a few days ago when Microsoft installed a series of updates to my system without me doing the whole reboot/update thing.
Sat there & watched it.
Was pissed it was doing it on its own, but after it completed,, my computer is now lightning fast again>>>>

Guess there was some massive incomplete 'update' to my system which was somehow known by them,, and they fixed it.
Thanks? AI? ()? :alien:?

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
Now you know why I still prefer XP & 7 for all the work I can do without using an OS that is still supported. I have win10 but seldom use it. I WILL NOT EVER OWN A WIN 11 OS & happily I'm old enough I should never need to

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why is it that older operating systems just work so much more effectively than newer ones? I mean, systems of all kinds. I remember back in the 1990s, you put in your ATM card; and the button presses got you immediate results. Nowadays, you put in your pin number and end up waiting close to literally a full minute before the stupid machine actually processes your pin number entry.

Why are so many incompetent individuals being hired as computer programmers?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes it's a matter of clearing out any bloatware. Pull up Task Manager, sort by the CPU or memory columns and see where the resource hogs are.
+

I uninstall every bit of unnecessary software when I get a new computer.
What's left does not automatically check for updates or install them automatically... my computers have always been very clean with no unnecessary stuff running.

Couldn't even pull up Task Manager of go into Control Panel when first had the 'update' problem from the op...
.. it was a fundamental incomplete OS when the problem first happened.