Windows 11 thoughts

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
There's only a few rational reasons to upgrade any software:
  • desired features
  • bug fixes
  • security patches
I'm not sure when the trend developed, but many and most Apple users (of Macs and iDevices) are guilty of upgrading for no other reason than they can't help themselves, and as often as not, an upgrade will break production.

The way to do it is to have two separate systems, a production machine where a fix is never, ever attempted if nothing is broken, and a development machine that works as a laboratory to determine what if anything breaks when any changes are made. Only after months of observing and testing changes on a development system, only when completely satisfied that production will not be broken by them, would it then be applied to production.

Nice to see that Windows users, at least, have learned, perhaps through previous trials by fire, that mindlessly upgrading is a really bad idea.

Article about Tiny11, a custom version of Windows 11 that's only 2GB. I used to use free software called RT Lite to create customized Windows XP installs such that they would not install unneeded services or applications. It was later developed into RT 7 Lite for Windows 7, and I think, not sure, but it might work for Windows 10 also. This was useful in an enterprise environment as an alternative to creating images, in that rather than imaging clones, which is not a fast process, one could use a custom Windows installer to create a clean installation without the bloat and with applications normally not installed with Windows installer, such as Office suite, also could include drivers, patches and updates, in less time than it takes to clone, and the result was effectively superior, as cleanly installed Windows seem to perform better than clones, at least for a while. But it takes a lot of time and care to set up an installer just right and test it, and ordinarily it wouldn't stay current for very long, though afterwards producing updated installers was a faster process. So I'd carry a few utilities and an installer on a usb thumb (or go grab a bare SATA drive I set up the same way and connect to the internal bus), and if a client's desktop was not performing, and all other known solutions applied without benefit, I'd run a few utilities, like Magic Jellybean to collect the license number, a utility to collect all the installed drivers, and an audit on what was installed, and do a HD wipe and clean install of Windows with updates (ordinarily updating a Windows machine takes 20 times longer than the base install), add the same license back to it, reinstall all the drivers, and pull whatever missing applications from a network store already set up with application installers, apply those serials, restore the user's account, documents and settings, and the result at most a few hours later was an old machine that performed as new.
This is spot on. I've used most versions of Window$, as well as Apple, Unix and Linux systems over the years. I still use a separate production and development environment to a small degree.
Find a system that works, and stick with it as long as you can. Rinse and repeat when necessary, with care.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
So I finally had to upgrade my (backup) PC from Win 7 to 10. I really didn't want to but there were a couple of programs that will stop working on 7 come the new year. And yes, there was the same old nonsense that I had to go through and disable if I want my privacy.

If only they had fixed 7 I would have been a happy bunny.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Twas the night before Christmas
And all round the house
the only things stirring
Were me and my mouse.

I was working with windows
It was making me fractious,
And I knew that quite soon
I would have to take actions.

It slowed and it stuttered
And finally froze
Then the blue screen of death was in front of my nose,
My anger was rising and thoughts turned quite bad,
"PC out the window, was one that I had"

But my genetics and upbringing ensured me my calm;
And decided, my computer should come to no harm.
The O/S is to blame, and will never improve
I was conned by Bill Gates and this upgrading move.

Then I had an idea as I sat in my muse,
I have other options like Mandrake or Suse;
Or Debian, Red Hat, or Fedora Core,
PClinux, Ubuntu and so many more..

So I set out to download a distro named Suse;
And on a thumb drive, burned this data to use.
It all went so smoothly,"I waited for hitches",
As my mind was attuned to the Microsoft glitches!

I plugged the card in to my usb drive
And sat back, and watched my PC come alive,
As it smoothly installed the O/S Suse 10
I knew I would never use windows again.

So to all of you users of MS software,
With its viruses, Trojans, and various Malware,
Blue screens, and freezes, and drivers to find,
Registry problems that boggle the mind.
Take a page from my book and "give Linux a try",
It's all free of charge, with no programs to buy,
With so many versions of this excellent kernel
The choices you have are nearly eternal

So download a distro that won't cost a penny,
The flavors of Linux are varied and many
You'll find one to suit, and I'm quite sure of this;
Now, using your PC, will again be more bliss.

Last edited:

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
id switch to linux but ima a gamer
Not a gamer here at all, and you're right, a lot of PC games are limited to Windows. This is because, with less than two percent of the OS market, there isn't a lot of development for Linux. However, there are a ton of games you can get for Linux using Steam. You CAN also play some Windows games using Wine software, although limited.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Several years back I bought a Windows based gamer to unleash the potential of 7 for photo editing while doing other tasks that normally bogged down my computer. This year I went with a smaller one to carry around and was surprised how well 11 plays with my 7 based stuff.

I stopped gaming when Mario Cart 64 was new. Too many buttons to keep up with.