Hello and input on headlamps

dakotaprerunner

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I am new here but a long time reader. I am looking for a new headlamp for use as a general backpacking lamp and for use during search and rescue operations. I am looking for something that has a good amount of distance to it (throw?). I would like to be able to use AA batteries due to their availability anywhere. I am leaning towards the Fenix Hp11. Any other options i am missing? thanks and I look forward to spending some time here.

Connor

mhokama86

Newly Enlightened
i recommend the lupine pico its way brighter than the lupine telsa and its 700 lumens and blows away any of my 200 lumen surefires!

ryguy24000

Enlightened
The only info I can offer is that AA headlamps seem to be rare! The industry is catching on though. I expect that in 2012 we will see some innovative AA headlamps.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Princeton Tec APEX, Corona, ........ Black Diamond Icon ........... Petzl Pixa and Myo

I'll leave the zebralight and spark recommendations to those that have them...

If you'll reconsider the AAA battery format a whole world of possibilities open up to you. AAA seem to be just as available as AAs.

dakotaprerunner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a few petzl tikkas and am looking for something that has more watts, lumens, power. The lupine lights look like a sweet setup but they are crazy $$$.

Connor

robostudent5000

Enlightened
there's a new version of the Black Diamond Icon coming out next month it seems. it looks promising. it's supposed to run on 4AA with good throw like the Apex and the HP11, but has more backpacking friendly features like red light and my guess is that it'll have infinitely adjustable brightness like their other lamps. One of the problems of the Apex (and the HP11 too) is that the modes aren't that well suited for backpacking IMO. i think it's really nice to have a mode in the 20-25 lumen range for hiking on easy to moderate terrain and for doing chores around camp as anything higher kind of ends up being a distraction to my buddies. both the Apex and HP11 lack a mode in that range.

Last edited:

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I have the egear xflare and love it. 375 lummens, 4 settings, great package from batteryjunction.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I'd say that the Fenix would be your best choice.

I have the HP20 and its very, very bright. The HP11 is even brighter. Staying with AA cells you probably won't get more '''throw'' than what the Fenix can give.

I agree with 'Robo' ... Unless you are actually searching for something then 230-277 lumen in a headlight is overkill.
(but it is fun to have )

Since you have the Tikkas you don't need another close up light.

Good luck whatever you choose.

borrower

Enlightened
ooh, edit: sorry that I didn't notice your AA requirement before. I'd delete all the rest of this, except it might be handy for someone else.

------------------------

What kind of budget are you anticipating? Are you handy with a soldering iron? Do you have endless patience for deliveries from all corners of the world? You could diy something with relative ease that puts out 700 mfr lumens (so conservatively 500) for a little over $150 (depending to some degree on what you choose for batteries/charger)

Emitter, optics and wiring kit: lux-rc.com ~$90 after shipping (lots of choices in optics between flood and throw)
Case: easy2led.com $25, I think
Head band and useful plastic bits: old petzl zoom
Battery holder for 18650s: digikey.com $couple bucks
Connector cables: "magicshine cable" on dealextreme.com $couple bucks
18650s: you choose
Charger: you choose

pix etc here: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/quick-dirty-headlamp-easy2led-enclosure-l333-712601.html

Last edited: