Hello everyone, and a bit of advice, please...

J!m

Newly Enlightened
That looks cool, and probably simpler than the explanation might lead one to believe. I would not have reservations about doing that mod myself anyway...

However, for a sub-$20.00 35 second mod, the drop-in and push the button is the easiest and safest for those less ambitious out there.

No doubt the new LED is better, but the MAG-LED is great and far greater than the stock bulb was (except the focus problem I discussed).

And, if I was a die-hard MAG lover, I would be ordering parts now to do this mod myself... But the Mags are to be reduced to 'back-up' status as I court possible light sponsors for our next trip.

One final point (which probably doesn't matter): this is a stock MAG part so they have to honor their warranty for you. [I have had good customer service from Mag in the past ten years or so.]

Thanks for the link! Other readers may find that mod is right up their alley. In fact, it seems like a great 'first mod' to get them sliding down a slippery slope...:devil:

J!m

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gunner (and sorry for the misspelling earlier- I used to work with a guy whose name was Gunnar).

Anyway, I am still collecting data at this point. But, I have made some preliminary decisions:

Headlights go without saying. We have them, and will have them. We also have several cigarette-lighter powered work lights for bigger jobs...

The Sure Fire U2 is looking very good as a carry light. Small, but powerful, and six output settings that appears to be very easy to operate. I may buy one to play around with and get the input of others within Drive the Globe, but I think it's safe to say it's a quality light.:thumbsup:

Larger vehicle-mounted (charge cradle?) lights. Still an issue here, but I appreciate the Pelican idea. Nothing against their lights; however I am planning to ask them for sponsorship as well- for cases. So, if we have another light sponsor (and I'd like to get Sure Fire) we will not use any other competitive products on the trip.

So, that being said: the 9AN commander and/or the L7 Lumamax should fit the bill. We will have 2 per vehicle; maybe one of each per vehicle? Also, the M6 Guardian seems like a good candidate- 1 hour run time at low (which seems crazy bright enough) power. I will try to stick to having at least one incandescent light per vehicle based on the advice I have received here.

Regarding sponsorship 'ethics': On the Arctic Circle trip last year, we had Casio sponsoring us with their (then) new Pathfinder watches. These are cool, but I'm a mechanical watch guy. I had to wear the Casio any time a picture might include the watch, but I went back to my trusty Omega [not the one in my avatar- I did not have the Planet Ocean yet] during the 'off' hours. (A full sponsorship attempt with Kobold fell through for that trip)

I do the sponsorship stuff for the most part, and I make sure everyone adheres to the rules. We are paid to use/display product, and I always enforce the rules, so we can get more sponsors in the future!:)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
No problem, I didn't even see the misspelling.

How about a AA light just incase? I'd recommend the Fenix L2D-CE Q5. It actually has more output then the U2, but won't feel as sturdy and isn't as easy to use as the U2(still pretty simple though).

The 7060 would be brighter(and project further) then the L7 but I'm not sure about size comparison.

J!m

Newly Enlightened
Well, between us we have dozens of AA maglites, not of the same caliber I know, but we have them...

Also, once a sponsor is chosen, we will use their products exclusively. Perhaps Fenix will end up as our sponsor, and I'll have to do this all over again...

Thanks again to everyone for their input! It is appreciated!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That looks like an interesting mod; however I decided based on other's advice (and availability issues) that I will keep the 6D Mag Lie essentially stock (I will go with LED drop-ins on my 3D mags however).

I am now giving serious consideration to using a new 4D bulb in the 6D light to get that bulb glowing brighter. (6V rated bulb running on 9V).

How do we think this will hold up? Will the bulb last at least as long as the batteries, or will I have a rather expensive flash bulb with a long doorstop attached? This is a 50% over voltage, but the resistance will increase with heat, so maybe it will be OK?

I will stick with the standard alkaline batteries to power the club, if that matters...

Off to Wal Mart now for LED drop-ins and maybe a bulb for the 6D club...

I have a few lights that run a 4 cell Krypton bulb on 6AA Alks and one with 6 cell on 8AA. I haven't flashed a bulb doing so as of yet. I'm not quite sure what D cells bring to the equation but I was 4 C'ing 3D lights WAY before I knew CPF!