Please recommend a flashlight

alank2

Newly Enlightened
I added a tactical tailcap to a PD30 and was running it on some AW cells and it was the perfect size for my pocket. My son has sort of taken it over and daily carries it now. A number of years ago I ordered what I think is a PD35 (maybe?) because I like the 18650 battery size, and while it is a great light, it just doesn't fit in the pocket like the PD30 did. So my question is, are there any 18650 lights that are easily turned on by a tailcap button that are more like the PD30 sizing? I can live with more diameter if I had to, but it was the length that made it annoying for the pocket. What do you all recommend?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many to chose from, I EDC noktigon kr4, it is probably even shorter than pd30 but fatter. it is a quad, and pretty floody.

3_gun

Enlightened
Lumintop fw3a & Noctigon kr4 are 18650 lights that are small & use a tailcap switch

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The Fenix LD30 has been my go to edc for a few yrs now. It uses a tail cap switch, and overall the light seems not much larger than the 18650 cell. The dual use clip is perfectly designed and located. Clipped to the inside of my front pocket, I can barely tell it's there. It also can clip onto the brim of a ball cap, and I use it that way very often. Also has an led battery level indicator which is awesome. Up to 1600 lumens with a nice beam & great runtimes. I recently lost mine and promptly ordered another. I like it so much that I'm thinking of ordering a spare in case it gets discontinued in the future. Awesome light IMO.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can live with more diameter if I had to, but it was the length that made it annoying for the pocket. What do you all recommend?
I used to think like this and then I started using flashlight pouches on my belt. Now I can carry a wider range of sizes.

Like seriously I used to front pocket carry a MagLite 2C like 15 years ago or so. It wasn't comfortable at all.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I used to think like this and then I started using flashlight pouches on my belt. Now I can carry a wider range of sizes.

Like seriously I used to front pocket carry a MagLite 2C like 15 years ago or so. It wasn't comfortable at all.
I agree about the pouches. I like the beer can sized lights in a belt pouch when you want big power.

Funny what you mention about the Maglites. As a Realtor back in the 90's, I carried a 3D or 2D, in my back pocket to every showing. I probably spent enough on alkaline cells to buy dozens of Maglites. I can't count the times that clients said "hey, can I use your light for a minute?" and "why don't other agents carry a flashlight?". Common sense to me. Carry a light, a 100 ft. tape, and an aluminum ladder - and know the square footage of an acre (43560). Most "housewife" Realtors had zero of those bases covered.

alank2

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a LD30 and it should arrive tomorrow. Curiously how does the PD32 V2 differ from it?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a LD30 and it should arrive tomorrow. Curiously how does the PD32 V2 differ from it?
Operationally, the key difference to me is that (See "Operating Instructions" at these 2 links):

With the LD30 (EDIT) (V2.0), 'on-off' is controlled with the tailswitch, but changing output levels is done with a side switch. I personally don't like side switches, or the need to change grip between those two functions :

On/off and Momentary on

Fully press the tail switch to turn on. Fully press and release to turn off. Tap and Hold the tail switch for momentary on.

Output Selection

With the light switched on, single click the side switch to cycle through Eco→Low→Med→High→Turbo.

With the PD32, 'on-off' and output levels are both controlled using the tail switch. I much prefer this mode of operation. No side switch, or need to change to grip between those 2 operations:

On/off of the Fenix PD32 V2.0 Flashlight

Tap the tail switch to momentarily turn on the light.

Press the tail switch to constantly turn on the light, press again to turn off the light.

Output Selection

With the light switched on, tap the tail switch to cycle through Low→Med→High.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened

@alank2, I think you will be happy with the LD30, unless you really have a problem with the side switch, which I never have. I guess if you wear bulky gloves a lot would be the only issue I'd see.

Looking at the specs, the differences I can see are:

1. The LD 30 has 400 more lumens, with a little more dispersed beam & less distance on the throw. This is a due to it being shorter. Still has a good hot spot and throw, with good spill - it's not a flood light.
2. LD30 is 4.3 inches compared to 5.09, fairly substantial to me, as in 84% of the PD32 length.
3. LD30 unloaded weight is 2.1 oz. compared to 2.89 oz. - 73% of the weight of the PD32 (the size & weight are noticeable when carrying in a pocket or clipping to a ball cap.)
4. LD30 has the ingenious dual action clip, which I love. It's perfect.
5. LD30 has 5 modes plus strobe & SOS, compared to 3 modes & strobe only on the PD32. To me, more increments allow you to get what you need, and conserve your battery better.
6. LD30 has the built in LED battery level indicator on the side switch. It wasn't a big issue to me when I first ordered the light, but now that I have it, I love knowing where my battery stands when I turn the light on, without having to remove it and test it with a volt meter.
7. Battery comes with the LD30, not with the PD32.

I have a PD35 Tac, which is more similar to the PD32, and has the same style clip. It's a great light for carrying in the vehicle, but I never use it for every day carry. It's just a little too bulky for pocket carry, too big & heavy for wearing on a hat, and the clip is not as user friendly. To me, anything larger than the LD30 is too big and heavy for cap wear, and a little uncomfortable for the front pocket when sitting down & driving.

Based on your original post, I think it will be the one you want. Please let us know after you use it for a few days.

Also: Fenix also makes a nice diffuser & traffic wand which will fit on it.

Hope this helps.