Help an NYPD officer please

IcantC

Enlightened
I agree HID is a great solution, but since he will be doing a lot of momentary on to light up people or things, won't that kill the bulb or ballast?

M6 or other incans are good options.

A triple Mag in a MAg would be great and reliable(no worrying about broken filaments).

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Wolf-Eyes Thunder or Storm with 3x R2 LED's? I have the 2x 18650 Thunder with older Q2's in it and that already lights up a large area quite nicely.....sturdy, solid, reliable and of the shelf.

mdocod

Flashaholic
If the "r2" module you have isn't cutting it, definitely consider making a decent step up in oomf. A triple-Q5 (or R2) or single P7 light is probably a good consideration and certainly worth a try. But do double check the way the modes work on anything you get. I've seen a number of lights lately that are intended for the tactical market that have a lot of useless modes that are hard to access. The main switch should always make high turn on or off, a bezel twist or separate switch should change any modes that the light may have. "Cycling" through all the modes from the main switch in a confrontation, or having to "blink" the light manually like exactly 37 times while singing the national anthem while tap dancing to get into the "hidden" mode options is probably not going to serve you well.

The LumaPower MVP is worth a look.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
My suggestion would be a:

SureFire 9P Original $82. from BatteryJunction.com + 8 Free batteries, free shipping
Malkoff M60 $49. from Malkoffdevices.com
2 AW Protected 17500's $22. from Lighthound.com
Ultrafire WF-139 Charger $18. from Lighthound.com

This set-up should run for around the 45 min. that you require. You should be able to get all of the above with shipping for under $200. Well worth the money if your life is on the line.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

H.D.T. = Happy Dark Trails

bxstylez

Enlightened
d0nt 4get a holster for the 9P......
a good quality leather holster u can pick up from brothers (bronx, ny) by the 50 or 52pct [about ~$12-$20]

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
Hello Brother,
Im a Copper in Milwaukee that has carried a few good lights over the years. The following is my opinion, as I have put many lights to the test....

1. Stay away from HID lights....too much warm up time and not set up for momentary use. Law Enforcement work requires that your light be "flashed" on and off quickly many, many times a night.

2. I prefer Li-Ion recharable cells due to the flat discharge rate and ability to operate in cold temperatures. Li-ion batts also do not self discharge as other types do.

3. LED lights are awesome, but the long-throw lights dont throw enough light for me, but they are perfect for general lighting tasks.

My current, and favorite, lights for duty are:

Primary and quick access light - Fenix TK11 with a AW protected 18650 carried bezel down in a blade-tech holder on my duty belt, off hand side, next to mag pouch. This light is heavy-duty and built for combat. The 18650 offers 2+ hours per charge and I can simply pop in (2) CR123s should I run it dry. It is very bright and has great color temp. This is my main light for general lighting duties.

High Power - Mag 2C ROP High Output Lamp Assembly(HOLA) with "AW" C cells and mag-clickie tail switch. I have done all the resistance fixes to the switch, installed a Download heat-sink, FM LOP reflector, boro lens, and Mag clickie tail switch. (I prefer tail swiches because I believe I can access them much faster than a side switch.) With this (2) switch set-up I simply turn "on" the side switch and activate the light via the tail switch. This light is bright and offers about 45 minutes of runtime. It blasts through rear window tint and lights up the entire alley when aiming down the middle. This light is carried on my belt, off hand hip, in a Stallion leather open top poly-stinger holder. I also have another ROP 2C HOLA set-up exactly the same in my gear bag in the trunk.

High Power ++ - Mag3C MAG85 with 3 AW C cells. I LOVE THIS LIGHT. It is set-up exactly as the above 2C, but 3 cells and the WA1185 potted lamp. I prefer potted lamps as I feel the are more stable, plus I can use the modified stock switch with a Download heat-sink. This light throws plus it has about 55 minutes of runtime. Surprisingly, the tail-switch on this light is comfortable and not awkward. Depending on my assignment for the evening, I find my self often carrying this light in stead of the 2C, but usually it is also in my gear bag as a back-up search light.

I purchased several Li-ion battery chargers to accomodate my duty lights and find it is NOT a hassle to remove the batteries from the light to charge. Usually I only charge my TK11 and 2C on a daily basis. The back-up lights that are in my bag get charged once a week unless used on duty.

There are brighter moddified lights available, but none that have decent runtime and offer the grip diameter of the Mag C.

Quite often, when searching for a suspect at night, my 2C ROP and Mag85 lights get alot of attention from other Coppers who carry stock flashlights.

The 2C with charger is about $160 and the mag85 about $180.

Wattnot

Enlightened
You came to the right place and already received some excellent advice.

If you want the smallest of something that should do the trick, it's the Wolf Eyes P7 Sniper. Here's my review. It will do your city block. But I too am concerned that you had an R2 and it wasn't enough. If you don't mind the larger size then go with what mdocod said above or get the Wolf Eyes Storm or consider the largest, multi-emitter Malkoff and drop it in a Mag.

Last edited:

B'hamFAL

Newly Enlightened
As your actually ON FOOT I'd second the p7 sniper and a spare cell in your shirt pocket. Low in weight, plenty of runtime, bright, and just a bit over your $150 limit. The LED is not as likely to burn out on ya as a hotwire, but it won't be as bright as the modded mag's mentioned above. Trust me nothing sucks more than an instaflash when your trying to light up a perp or a vehicle. Except maybe having a giant mag charger size flashlight hanging off your belt for 8.5 hours a day.

FWIW I use a 9p with two li ions and a led drop in. I put a m90-13v on the city's rifle.

G'pa walked a beat in Brooklyn for a while 'fore he moved out to Floyd Bennett. Where they got you?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a small point........most chargers that are used for Li-ion cells charge two cells at a time, its better to get a light that uses two cells rather than three, easier to recharge and carry spares........unless you get a light that "plugs-in" for charging......best compromise would be a light based on 2x 18650 cells......and don't forget a car charger.

.....my pick would still be the WE Thunder 3x R2, about 800 bulb lumens....in my sig line I have the Thunder with 3x Q2 and that is very bright already.....

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag85/Borealis is a pretty good option. When it's set up with the five mega battery carrier it is pretty easy to charge. The nice thing it has over a 5671 is that although the required voltage is high the amp draw is comparatively low, so more stock/or stockish... parts can be used and resistance becomes less of a problem. It also is very bright, and 45min to and hour run is pretty accurate. You could also wait for some stuff with the new cree mc-e which we might see soon. I imagine the series option will be nice for modded mag setups.

Latest posts