Help! Electrically Conductive Adhesive?

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping someone in the CPF has a source for me.

I'm looking for an electrically conductive adhesive for use with some 12" X 12" glass solar panels I have. I don't want to risk the low-temp solder thing, so conductive adhesive would be ideal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

John

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very highly respected CPF member recommended to me a product called "CW2400" by "Circuit Works" for uses requireing conductive epoxy.

I have not had the opportunity to try it (or seek it out) yet..

leddite

Enlightened
and where does one find the GOOD general purpose epoxy? like 2ton? okay, sure, i imagine i can order it off the web after an extensive search... where do YOU buy?

why do i always see the crap 5 minute epoxies in local stores?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by leddite:
and where does one find the GOOD general purpose epoxy? like 2ton? okay, sure, i imagine i can order it off the web after an extensive search... where do YOU buy?

why do i always see the crap 5 minute epoxies in local stores?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My favorite epoxies are the "JB Weld" products. This epoxy is extremely tough and stands up to heat very well. They make both 5 min fast set and "slow cure" which takes overnight. I use both types extensively. It also appears to work well with Arctic Silver thermal compound mixed into it too.

I can find it at nearly any auto supply parts house like Kragen, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc..

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Slick. I will try to find it. If I do I will post (and email you) the source.

I agree, the JB Weld products have never let me down.

John

leddite

Enlightened
thanx, that's a good source...

anyone work with the liquid metal type products? the smear it on, and then you can sand, drill, etc it? can it conduct electricity? hmmm

so where does artic silver thermal want to be found? real stores? the web? eh?

maybe these are good faq items for parts/etc

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by leddite:
so where does artic silver thermal want to be found? real stores? the web? eh?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got my Artic Silver at Fry's Electronics..

snake

Enlightened
Hi
for solar panel, I guess it will like LCD..which I have some experience. I think you should seperate 2 function, adhesive and conductive.

there are solution:

#1 conductive foil + adhesive tape which you can home made it easily-but result may no very good;
#2 conductive epoxy + adhesive glue (both need to applicable on glass) coz conductive epoxy alone is not strong enough to hold the glass. problem is quite difficult to get in small quantity..
#3 found those pin with clip head to clip on the glass + glue, so that you treat it as a IC

#2 & 3 is what people doing in LCD factory..#1 is my fuzzy thinking.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use loctite quickgrid defroster repair followed by goop to attach leads to amorphous panels.
both can be found in any well stocked auto parts store.did some 3 years ago for car battery maintainers and still holding up.
a closed up car is about as hostile an environment as you can find.esp since one is black on black.can you say solar furnace?