Help finding a mini light

carrot

Flashaholic
The Civictor V1 is very likely waterproof. The thing is, it is a newer light than the Fenix L1P, and so there has been less time for people to run into "accidents" with it. The Fenix L1P became wildly popular because it was pretty much the first inexpensive 1AA Luxeon light. The Civictor V1, which followed in the L1P's footsteps, became "yet another 1AA Luxeon light," so I expect that less people have purchased one. It also occurs to me that CPFers seem to, in general, try to buy the best they can afford, and since the Civictor is marketed as a "cheaper Fenix L1P," it tends to be ignored.

Those who have opened up both the Civictor V1 and Fenix L1P claim they appears to have the same circuitboard, and a seller assures me that the Fenix and Civictor are definitely coming from the same place. The L1P has proven to be a reliable light thus far, and since the Civictor V1 has the same circuitboard and has less things that could go wrong with it (the L1P's clickie has failed on occasion for some people), I'd say it *should* be as reliable if not more than the Fenix L1P. Smear some silicone grease on the threads and o-ring on the Civictor V1 and it should be about as watertight as any other civillian-use light.

Gigman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all very much i think im going to go with the Civictor.

Thanks for all of your help,
-Gigman

Gigman

Newly Enlightened
OK, I have run into a small problem. Fenix's web site denies that they make the Civictor! Is there anywhere that I can buy this light?

Thanks for all your help
-Gigman

dasanii19

Enlightened
Sorry guys, quick questions. Im wanting the same size light with the same type of durability..

Is the Civictor V1 or L1P a good choice for a reading light?

Does surefire make a comparible light to these? that will be good for reading as well? Same size and everything?

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Gigman said:
Wait when I go there (http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=76&osCsid=50ea68d49446dd9f5e899432e40e70fd)

It says "More specifications will be available when they arrive". Are they even available yet?

yes they are... just click add to cart and send 4sevens a message that he should update his website :)

dasanii19 said:
Sorry guys, quick questions. Im wanting the same size light with the same type of durability..

Is the Civictor V1 or L1P a good choice for a reading light?

Does surefire make a comparible light to these? that will be good for reading as well? Same size and everything?

I think the L1p & civictor might be a bit too bright for reading. Surefire makes a few small lights (E1E / E1L) which are about the same length, but a bit bigger diameter. These might also be a bit on the bright side for reading. ARC AAA or Peak Matterhorn might be more suitable for that....

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
dasanii19 said:
...Is the Civictor V1 or L1P a good choice for a reading light?...
You can certainly read by them but I don't think they're ideal as special purpose reading lights. They're actually kind of too bright and the concentrated hotspot of their (typical) reflector beam will make a lot of glare. They also run 3 hours or so which might be kind of short for reading. If I were going to pick a special purpose reading light, I'd go with something like this or a multi-LED headlamp.

But they're excellent lights for general use outside of reading.

Latest posts