help in properly diffusing RGB LEDs

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i built a small unit that has 3 bright LEDs (Red, Green, Blue with 15 degree beam pattern ) there are 3 buttons on this unit to change the intensity of each LED. (to blend the RGB to make many different color variations) when testing this unit approx. 3 feet from the ground, the colors don't blend very well( you can see Red,Green, and Blue distinctively, intstead of uniformly) to try to correct this issue, i sandblasted a half-sphere plastic cap and put it over the LEDs. this seems to work pretty well because it diffuses the colors making for a more uniform blend of colors. the only problem is, this cap reduces the light output. can anyone suggest another method to diffuse the colors without losing much light intensity?

jeff1500

Enlightened
The dome top on the led works like a lens to focus the light into a beam. If you grind the dome off to make the top flat the light will be very diffuse. No beam at all.

Smooth it off with fine sand paper then polish it with toothpaste. It won't be perfectly clear but it'll be close and the light will be diffuse like a 100 watt light bulb.

Here's a color theory site:

http://www.beer.org/~tpark/color.html#A1.2

What kind of colors are you able to make by mixing RGB leds?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff1500:

What kind of colors are you able to make by mixing RGB leds?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so far i have been able to make various blends of blue(from violet to deep purple) orange, yellowish white, indiglow and many others.