help is my TK75 Led slightly off centered?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it really matter? Especially in a set up like that? I can't see how even a significantly off-center emitter would affect the usability of the flashlight in the least. Do the old "Turn the light on and point the business end away from you" fix. Do you still see the "problem"? Then don't worry about.

Etsu

Enlightened
Does it really matter? Especially in a set up like that? I can't see how even a significantly off-center emitter would affect the usability of the flashlight in the least. Do the old "Turn the light on and point the business end away from you" fix. Do you still see the "problem"? Then don't worry about.

It would hurt the amount of throw you get, which is presumably why one would buy a light like that.

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Does it matter ? Sure it does, at least to me. I spend $200 on a light I expect quality and longevity. Granted I'm no torch expert but I am a consumer.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would bet good money that if you took two of these lights, one with off-center emitters and one with perfectly aligned emitters, it would be impossible to tell which was which in actual use.

Look, I understand that we spend a lot of money on these lights and expect them to be worth the cost, but it starts to get a little ridiculous when minor flaws that don't actually affect performance, like a slightly off-center emitter, are treated like significant faults.

Etsu

Enlightened
I would bet good money that if you took two of these lights, one with off-center emitters and one with perfectly aligned emitters, it would be impossible to tell which was which in actual use.

The same could probably be said when comparing XM-L vs XM-L2. But if I'm paying for an XM-L2, I'd be annoyed if I looked at the LED and found out they were using an XM-L.

In a floody light, an off-centered LED doesn't matter. But it does matter if it's throw you're concerned about. On a cheap light, no big deal, I don't expect quality. But on a $200 light, it should be centered.

That said, I have no idea from the pictures here if there really is an issue. But I disagree with the notion that it just doesn't matter. I'd probably just suck it up, personally, but I wouldn't blame someone else for following it up with the retailer or manufacturer.

Even if he keeps it, it might be good to let the manufacturer know there's a problem with their assembly. They may be able to correct the problem in the future, if they know about it. That helps everybody.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same could probably be said when comparing XM-L vs XM-L2. But if I'm paying for an XM-L2, I'd be annoyed if I looked at the LED and found out they were using an XM-L.
That's a different matter because there is a meaningful difference between an XM-L and an XM-L2, particularly when it comes to efficiency. There is no meaningful difference between a flashlight with a perfectly centered emitter and a slightly off-center one.

Let's put it this way: if the emitter was off-center enough to impact the performance, it would be obvious, and you wouldn't need to post pictures asking people if the emitter appeared off-center.

Etsu

Enlightened
That's a different matter because there is a meaningful difference between an XM-L and an XM-L2, particularly when it comes to efficiency.

Only about 10-20%. I doubt most people could tell the difference in brightness.

There is no meaningful difference between a flashlight with a perfectly centered emitter and a slightly off-center one.

Yes, and as I already stated, I have no idea if this particular example has any impact on performance. But I don't blame him for checking. It's not a cheap light, and he should expect well-centered LEDs. He should try it out and see if it affects performance, but, how would he know if he doesn't have another unit to compare it against? The hot spot may be too large if one of the LEDs is off center, but how would he know this, and how would he check what real impact it has on throw?

If the LED is off-center, he doesn't really have a way of verifying its impact on performance of the light. All he can do is ask if it's off-center, and if it is, he then has to decide what he wants to do about it. Like I said, I wouldn't bother returning it (unless it's really obvious there's a problem), but others may have higher standards than me. With an expensive light, it's okay to have high standards.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only about 10-20%.
I would consider a 10 to 20% difference in efficiency to be a meaningful difference.

He should try it out and see if it affects performance, but, how would he know if he doesn't have another unit to compare it against?
Again, if you have to go to those kinds of lengths to find a "problem" then you really don't have a problem. That's just my opinion.

Etsu

Enlightened
I would consider a 10 to 20% difference in efficiency to be a meaningful difference.

Would you consider a 10-20% loss in throw a meaningful difference?

BTW, an XM-L2 will throw about 6% further than an XML. Is that still a meaningful difference?

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you consider a 10-20% loss in throw a meaningful difference?
Yes, I probably would, but I would think that any light so significantly impacted would have obvious flaws easily visible to the naked eye. In other words, you wouldn't have to post on a forum and ask, "Does this look off-center to you?"

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks fine to me, I don't see the problem. I think this problem is often vastly overanalyzed.

Plus, with a picture like that one where all three emitters are visible, at least one if not all the emitters will look slightly off. You would need a perfectly aligned and centered photo of each emitter. Any angle the photo is taken on will affect the way it looks to us.

And, those aren't exactly conventional reflectors. Maybe they ARE optimized in their slightly off center positions for the desired beam pattern.

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I probably would, but I would think that any light so significantly impacted would have obvious flaws easily visible to the naked eye. In other words, you wouldn't have to post on a forum and ask, "Does this look off-center to you?"

There are many inexperienced, wanna' be "flashaholics" out there, such as myself. I join forums and read about various lights, gathering ideas, information and others experiences about them to use to my benefit. Thanks to all that post great info.

If someone doesn't ask questions in forums like CPF...how are we/they supposed to know if there is a problem or not ?

That's all. :)

Latest posts