Help make my Rebel minimag BRIGHTER?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Picked one up today and its not bright enough.
Can the 2D Rebel 90 pill drop into the 2AA?

Heres the mini pulled apart.
dscn6214t.jpg

thanks!!

elumen8

Enlightened
I've switched the 2AA pill with the pill from the 2D...there's definitely a slight difference in brightness, but nothing to write home about. I kept the switch simply because I like having the multi-mode in the 2D host.

Kramer, don't just sit there, now that you have it out...be the first to actually mod the pill.

JB

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2D pill will put that Rebel MM-LED right around 100 lumens but it will suck the batteries dry really fast because it will pull 1600+ mA from the batteries. If you want a more efficient setup then custom is the way to go.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
If I where to mod a minimag, I'd use a driver that can take ~8.4v so I can use two 14500 lithium ion batteries.

Has anyone ever attempted using a P7 for this? It would obviously have some heatsinking issues, and would probably have a duty cycle. But if successfully built, it would leave little room for the OEM reflector, making it a flood monster.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks for the 2D pill Jamie!!

Its a LOT brighter than the multi mode 2AA pill I swapped out. With the multi mode, it was noticeably dimmer than my 75 Lumen ITP A3, so it was probably only ~55-60 Lumens. Now with the 2D pill, its as bright as my 110L E2L-KX2:twothumbs, and a hair dimmer than my 125L Fenix MC10. Outstanding for a $10 light.

Oh yeah, the limited run times don't concern me too much. I am using 2000-2500 mah cells and I have other lights for long running efficiency.

Very nice little light:thumbsup:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am no expert on the mag-rebel series. But after a lengthy discussion today with Jamie (elumen8)... my understanding is the pills are all the same from light to light within the same cell count family. So the 2 cell pill can be used in the MM and 2D. Jamie showed me a really nice 2D with the MM multi mode pill. With the forward click switch of the 2D it resulted in a really nice 5-mode 2D mag.

The same 3 cell pill is used in the 3D and 3AAA (XL100). I don't think they make a 3AA version with the Luxeon rebel, but if they did, it stands to reason that it would use the 3 cell pill.

**edit**
Sorry if this all is old news... I am new to the mag rebel lights.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3AA MagLED is an older Luxeon III version. I am not sure if they are parts compatible with the newer Rebel MagLEDs or not. If they are I can see someone trying the 3D Rebel MagLED module in one but that light is so long that it's almost impractical to be carried.

elumen8

Enlightened
The first generation 3AA Luxeon III and the current generation 3D Luxeon Rebel 091 are completely different and in no ways compatible. MAG has not released a current generation 3AA Luxeon Rebel yet.

JB

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my 2AA minimag rebel with Nizn cells. The voltage boost seems to agree with it well. Substantially brighter, and low mode works fine, too.