help me choose a cheap new car?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
instead of moving maybe ill get a car so i dont have to walk.. anyone who knows me i dont care one bit how the car looks .but i want it to be uber dependable dont care how small it is it is just to get grocery's

raggie33

*the raggedier*
brand new for sure i worked in the used car market for a while ill never forget thee stuff ive seen lol . cars with 20000 miles and same oil it came with lol.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
a bit over my budget right now the chevy spark is in the lead

fulee9999

Enlightened
toyota yaris 2002 - by this time there is probably not much left of the chassis due to corrosion, but the engine and transmission will outlive all of us

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A 2000 Lexus LS 400.
0CF6AC7F-F88B-4917-9775-5566D9C57A49.jpeg

Super nice car, chix dig 'em and it's big enough to live in if you don't need a place to store a kayak.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
instead of moving maybe ill get a car so i dont have to walk.. anyone who knows me i dont care one bit how the car looks .but i want it to be uber dependable dont care how small it is it is just to get grocery's
Okay, two possible choices. One, Chevy Spark. Very small, reasonably reliable hatchback.... If you get the manual tranny!

Honestly, don't get the CVT. That version is made by Jatco (owned by Nissan). And the Jatco automatic CVT is garbage!!! You're good until about 40,000 miles. That's when the CVT tends to completely implode! It's literally the only Chevy vehicle that uses that CVT. Meaning, when it breaks down, good luck finding a Chevy service center with a mechanic who even knows how to work on it. Usually they just replace the tranny with a new one. Also from Jatco. Not cheap! And will only last you about another 40,000 miles.

Otherwise the Spark is a very good daily driver. Easy to park, cheap to insure, sips gasoline. Power? No, not really. It's nice that it comes with an overall lack of electronic features most drivers really don't need. Hand crank windows, for example. Though you get an impressive center stack Info-tainment system.

2nd would be the Mitsubishi Mirage. Either hatchback, or sedan versions. Worst rated new car in America. But far from a piece of junk. That rating means you won't have to worry about huge dealer mark-ups. Same advantages as the Spark. But also lacking in power. If you really want the security of a lockable trunk, the sedan version is going to be your best bet out of any other car out there, from any other brand.

Note: Currently with the state of the world, it's a Seller's market. With Used car prices being considerably worse than New car prices for Buyers. Please keep that in mind.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Mazda 3 is the least expensive, automatic trans. hatchback, without a CVT

..but you can get a manual trans. in the Premium package for more$

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i prefere a stick shift for real it took me less then a minute to learn how to drive one there so simple .long as the gear postions are marked on the head of the stick . im more happy shifting on my own.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dang gary u got me so excited lol . for real in my circle of freinds and family we comapre bargains on cars not horsepower or looks lol.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see dependable Japanese made.. 40+ mpg.. roof rails for racks, bicycles, kayaks, etc.. Plus 4 frickin doors and rear hatch!
So, it only has 1-1/2 cyls.. lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my last motorcycle had only one cylinder .. did around 90 mph . plus it was so very easy to work on . i was going to get the ninja 400cc but the honda was what i went with lol

Poppy

Flashaholic
Okay, two possible choices. One, Chevy Spark. Very small, reasonably reliable hatchback.... If you get the manual tranny!

Honestly, don't get the CVT. That version is made by Jatco (owned by Nissan). And the Jatco automatic CVT is garbage!!! You're good until about 40,000 miles. That's when the CVT tends to completely implode! It's literally the only Chevy vehicle that uses that CVT.
It is my understanding that Nissan had a couple of class action lawsuits against them due to the CVT transmission. They offer a 100,000 mile replacement warranty.

I imagine that GM, like FORD, addressed the failure issue by now. Ford offers the CVT in their Maverick low cost hybrid pickup.

I know little about CVT's but I think that Ford went to a chain driven, rather than a belt driven one.

Poppy

Flashaholic
yeah, really different.
I had a comet, a Lincoln version of the Maverick.
I guess they are bringing the low price/dependable name tag back.
The Maverick was marketed @ $1995 to compete with the German Volkswagen in price
IMO In comparison the VW was a POS.