Preview of future Police Car Chases?

DRW

Enlightened
No different than running out of any kind of fuel.

I was hoping to read the car was disabled remotely.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only 90's kids remember these cool Hollywood guys.

I think if you are going to steal a lame Tesla and run out of energy you should rethink your life and go get a job at 7-11. You will make more doing your job poorly than as a criminal.

Attachments

• 48D5E992-01F9-4129-9B39-B011B890B854.jpeg
    48D5E992-01F9-4129-9B39-B011B890B854.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 25

DRW

Enlightened
Having participated in more than one and less than a thousand police pursuits my opinion of the dart is meh.

In the video the dart looks to be fairly short range and slow traveling. Anytime LE fires anything there are a host of legal issues that need to be considered.

I think there would be significant decline in pursuits if all police cars had these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I prefer this approach, now widely used throughout Arizona and gaining notoriety:

The Grappler Police Bumper

Immediate and highly effective, avoiding dangerous PIT maneuvers and spike strips....

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I think there would be significant decline in pursuits if all police cars had these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhPhalanx_CIWSA
Apparently a front license plate mounting bracket is in the works to mount the $13 million 13,600 pound unit on highway patrol cars for advanced tactical pursuit interdiction protocols. The proposal is awaiting budgeting committee approval and a trial program to be deployed on the SoCal highway system. Stay tuned.

Reactions: DRW

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm surprised all new cars don't come with an e-kill-switch that the police can remotely access via computer. No more high-speed pursuits lasting hours and endangering lives. Sure, it would be a horrible restriction on citizen's freedom. But at this point, can we just stop pretending that America is as free as it was during our grand-parents time. Or, we just going to keep up that charade?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those e switches would be abused, and very possible used by bad guys. I do not trust cops any more than I trust bad guys. Losing freedoms, no thanks, I'd vote for complete police disbanding before I would vote for more restrictions,

I vote for armed drones, they proved to be ultra successful in war in Ukraine, AI can keep drone right above the car in motion, shoot the driver if he is not responding to warnings, or the motor, as someone who is involved with cars for over 20 years, I'm 200% positive a 10 round burst into an engine bay from above will disable it. pick an empty stretch of road and shot the driver of the motor. chases only endanger public. Create an app that will broadcast drone video to all cops in the city, county.... so everyone can see where bad guys ran.

DRW

Enlightened
I prefer this approach, now widely used throughout Arizona and gaining notoriety:

The Grappler Police Bumper

Immediate and highly effective, avoiding dangerous PIT maneuvers and spike strips....

I've seen this in a couple videos. Not much of a fan of the grappler either.

This and the GPS dart force an Officer into a poor tactical position by being so close to the offenders vehicle.

The best tool I've seen has been good training, tactics, and situational awareness by the pursuing Officer. Sometimes a pursuit begins due to poor decisions by the Officer.

A Police Supervisor deciding on continuing or breaking off the chase is also a big factor in protecting everyone involved.

Some PDs have a no pursuit policy. That's a failure of the municipalitie's administration.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
:unsure:
:unsure:
"This content is not available in your country/region."
I think if you are going to steal a lame Tesla and run out of energy you should rethink your life and go get a job at 7-11. You will make more doing your job poorly than as a criminal.
That is true. While he probably got into the car through a panel gap, what was he planning on doing with the vehicle? Considering all the data collecting and transmitting Tesla does, it would be easy to track it down. He probably thought it was aspirational in some way, but in that case I would refer to your second point.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep an airtag in my car, so i can track it down easy as well.

it is not like stolen gas cars never ran out of gas. i'm sure it happened before.

Why stealing a tesla is lame? it is a transportation, if thieves need to go somewhere, it is fast and with so many around easy to blend in, it could be sold for parts, there is a whole industry that makes equipment to reflash ecu, roll back mileage, disable gps trackers...etc. It is definitely not lame,

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
One of the funniest lines I have yet encountered. Simply off the charts hilarious. 👏 Cheers!
Thank you, I figured we all knew about Tesla's panel fitting issues. ^^

I let myself inspire from a story Jeremy Clarkson once told in an episode of Top Gear.

A Mercedes and a Jaguar factory worker met up at a bar, and began discussing the build quality of their cars.

The Mercedes worker said 'we take a car off the line at random. We put a cat in it overnight, and we know the gaps and seals are good enough if the cat has suffocated.'

The Jaguar worker replied 'we do something similar. We take a car off the line at random, and we put a cat in it overnight. And we know the gaps and seals are good enough if the cat hasn't escaped.'

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised all new cars don't come with an e-kill-switch that the police can remotely access via computer. No more high-speed pursuits lasting hours and endangering lives. Sure, it would be a horrible restriction on citizen's freedom. But at this point, can we just stop pretending that America is as free as it was during our grand-parents time. Or, we just going to keep up that charade?
The kill switch is required hardware in all cars manufactured starting in 2026. Not a good selling point for anyone wanting a new car. Many cars already have them. Dealers keep something like this on cars now when you make payments so they can stop the car from working when you're late on a payment and track the car until you pay it off. Sometimes, they don't remove that hardware when you pay off the car and you get stranded sometime later when it breaks down. This has happened. Any kind of kill switch could have the same problem. In the future, I could also see this as something being hacked by ransomware and a hacker charging people money to get their vehicles working again. If it's receiving a signal 24/7 using your battery (parasitic drain on electric car batteries), what's to say the car isn't going to be sending a signal to the police about when you were speeding, ran a red light, or talked on your cell phone while driving in the last 24 hours? I prefer to follow the law voluntarily, but not pay extra for a car that will narc on me, track my every move, or leave me stranded in the name of justice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The kill switch is required hardware in all cars manufactured starting in 2026. Not a good selling point for anyone wanting a new car. Many cars already have them. Dealers keep something like this on cars now when you make payments so they can stop the car from working when you're late on a payment and track the car until you pay it off. Sometimes, they don't remove that hardware when you pay off the car and you get stranded sometime later when it breaks down. This has happened. Any kind of kill switch could have the same problem. In the future, I could also see this as something being hacked by ransomware and a hacker charging people money to get their vehicles working again. If it's receiving a signal 24/7 using your battery (parasitic drain on electric car batteries), what's to say the car isn't going to be sending a signal to the police about when you were speeding, ran a red light, or talked on your cell phone while driving in the last 24 hours? I prefer to follow the law voluntarily, but not pay extra for a car that will narc on me, track my every move, or leave me stranded in the name of justice.
Didn't realize that was going to be standard in two years.

Ironically, over on my 2nd YouTube channel where I do ASMR role-plays, awhile back I took on the role of a customer service attendant at a future car dealership. Customer was three months late on payments. So, first opportunity the autonomous driving vehicle had once there were no people inside of it, it locks its own doors. Then starts itself up.... and drives itself to the nearest dealership of its same brand. Customers at this point are instructed to call their dealership before calling the police and reporting it stolen. If actually stolen, dealership contacts the police and uses computerized aides to get the vehicle back to the customer.

But, for late payments, dealership informs the customer of what actually took place. Customer needs to make all three months payments to get the vehicle back + a repossession fee. He has 30 days. Afterwards, the vehicle is sold as Pre-owned. Customer then gets sued for the three months payment + Processing & re-sale fees that are more than the repo fee.

Original idea by me. A glimpse into the future of car financing. (And you though Dealer Key-switches was bad.) With those future methods, no need for dealerships to worry that an irate customer might decide to just smash up the car or set it on fire as revenge for the kill-switch having been activated.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no such switches on any car today. If there was my mechanics would tell me, we are a repair/body shop, so we know what systems do in cars, cuz we have to replace/fix them. Dealers do not get involved into repossessions, banks own cars not dealers, except in rare case when actually a dealer gives you loan, but they, as a rule, do not get into that

I'm strongly against such devices for cops or banks. Cops would just shut your car instead of pulling you over, (just in case you run, for officer safety), that would make your car uncontrollable, and you would crash, cops will not be responsible for damages, they have qualified immunity, even today if they chase you, they crash into an innocent motorist or a bystander and kill them, cops are not responsible. so i really don't want them to have this power, tasers proved they will abuse non lethal force, they tase people in handcuffs, on the ground, and in the back of police cars, plenty of videos exist of them doing it.

Banks also do not need to have such tool. If cops at least see your car before they shut it, banks do not, they can shut it while you stopped for gas or food, or a bathroom brake somewhere far from your home, or destination, imagine you have small kids in the cars, what are you going to do in the middle of the night, who knows where?

Not to mention such devices can and will be bypassed, and defeated no doubt, today right people know how to roll back your mileage, ( and do so in every module that your car records it) remove ecu speed limiters, block your cars communication with manufacturers servers...etc

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Again, it's just a role-play into a possible future where Autonomous vehicles are the norm. As far as such e-kill-switches go, even if they don't exist today; you have to admit it wouldn't be unrealistic for them to exist in the very near future on cars. Brands would simply market it as the ultimate anti-theft device. Heck, bit of collusion with the Insurance companies to offer customers a slight rebate for having such devices retroactively installed in their vehicles.

Let's face it, the masses would be ignorant enough to fall for such marketing efforts.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is totally doable today, it was totally doable yesterday, however downside of abuse is far greater than benefits IMO,

Last edited:

Latest posts